Unknown Goupil g80 keyboard

Ywg

10 Apr 2021, 17:09

Finally after three years of searching for a Goupil g80 I found one.
One week later I received a nice package, but to my surprise it's not a cherry build.

It's some unknown switch I've never seen.
The board is feeling surprisingly nice for a foam and foil, definitely magnitude better than a BTC foam and foil. It's slightly tactile and it has a nice "thock" sound, a bit hollow but still decent.
The keycaps are not great, it feels like thin PBT with very poor quality die sublimated legends.

Do you know what the switches are ?

https://imgur.com/a/V9cnAc4

Rayndalf

10 Apr 2021, 19:30

How bizarre, I guess Goupil found another manufacturer to copy the G80 "prism" case.

Who wrote Cherry on the box though? Did they have multiple boards and assume they were all the same?

I don't know a lot about foam and foil, but they don't usually have springs, do they? I assume they significantly improve the keyfeel compared to simpler designs.

Ywg

10 Apr 2021, 22:11

Foam and foil (at least the ones I came across) have a single large spring. I've seen in the wiki that some may have some "rubber cone" instead of the spring but I've never seen any board like that in the wild.

Those two "side springs" are new to me, I like how they feel. Although the fact that they are outside of the slider make the more likely to fall off when using a keycap puller.

Thorogrimm

11 Apr 2021, 00:14

That's such a bizarre design, I'd love to see a review of it.

Go-Kart

11 Apr 2021, 11:03

Thorogrimm wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 00:14
That's such a bizarre design, I'd love to see a review of it.
Second.

zrrion

12 Apr 2021, 03:39

viewtopic.php?p=449323#p449323
looks like this is likely related to Clare Pendar in some way.

Return to “Keyboards”