Oh my F***ING G*d!

Keybug

14 Apr 2021, 13:36

Just saw this 'Creative Labs Prodikeys DM' keyboard (!) for the first time ever. If I could somehow program those musical keys, this would be sort of like a wet dream of my keyboarding "career"! Does anyone know if that's at all possible - or do they just produce sound from some internal speaker? Many thanks!
Attachments
412H9ZBGJ4L._AC_.jpg
412H9ZBGJ4L._AC_.jpg (18.45 KiB) Viewed 3584 times

Muirium
µ

14 Apr 2021, 13:48

Hmm. Looking it up, I see it's an old product—Creative EOLed it long ago, and its software is for Windows Me!—these reviews grumble about the keyboard being PS/2. That's a problem, because Midi keyboards all went to Midi over USB many years ago. (And you could indeed convert that to non-musical keycodes on the host.) But this one looks to be old enough its Midi output is the original DIN cable stuff, if any.

But you've got me thinking. Next time I'm sitting at my Roland piano, I'll open Karabiner and see if I can make it type! :lol:

hellothere

14 Apr 2021, 17:26

If you're wanting the MIDI controller to do an "action" on Windows 10, here ya go: http://indierecordingdepot.com/t/use-mi ... ons/2739/2

Give me a couple to see if you can do that on Mac.

hellothere

14 Apr 2021, 17:27

jsheradin

14 Apr 2021, 17:34

Obligatory:

hellothere

14 Apr 2021, 18:06

Now we're going to have to talk about weighted and unweighted keys and if you prefer a more "piano" feel or a traditional "synth" feel. There also is "N-Key Rollover," i.e. how many keys you can hit at once. Also, what keyboard stand should you be using?

IIRC, MIDI has 127 values. Go nuts :P.

I'll mention it again, because I really like the product: if you have ANY iPad or iPhone (all the way back to the iPad/iPhone 1), there's an app called "Custom Keypad" that allows you to program just about anything and use it as a macro keyboard. Works on Mac, Win, and Linux.

Keybug

14 Apr 2021, 21:54

Ahhh, this is great stuff, thank y'all for your input! Keyboard.io gives you one palm button for each hand. But this nifty device can easily give you three per hand. Even elbow keys could now become a thing!! Now I'll just have to find one in reasoably appealing condition...

Weezer

15 Apr 2021, 06:37

jsheradin wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 17:34
Obligatory:
I'm glad this was left here. "This is rock and roll".

Muirium
µ

15 Apr 2021, 10:04

It truly is! I've seen worse, on the real thing.

pgru

15 Apr 2021, 12:37

I was looking sometimes ago about something about this, but decided to save money for half-weighted 88 key with DIN MIDI, and USB MIDI out(just always wanted having a piano but don't have space for it).
Just to low number of keys for me(but don't cross it fully, if I will find a bargain).
Personally I think that it is better if it have old DIN MIDI - there is a lot of older computer that have classic MIDI DIN external/internal interfaces from Atari to Amiga. And in case if You really need USB MIDI You can use proper interface for it, on other side (MIDI USB to classic DIN MIDI) it probably cost more, and it is rarely available.

Muirium
µ

15 Apr 2021, 13:42

DIN midi >> USB midi dongles are fairly common. I used one when I borrowed an older Yamaha keyboard before I got my own. I've never looked for the reverse, however.

I bought my Roland FP-30 a few years ago, from Edinburgh's much missed Red Dog Music. They cut me a deal: I bought their showroom model, and they threw in the fancy stand and pedal board for free. Beautiful setup! It's a fully weighted full size piano keyboard, with pretty decent voices and speakers of its own, but I have it hooked up by USB to Logic where I use it most. The Bluetooth Midi output is quite handy too. It can drive two hosts at once that way, which I often do when I'm recording notes on the Mac but playing D1 on the iPad. Love that synth workshop! If only it was on the Mac itself…

Musical keyboards are just as complex as the keyboards we discuss around here. It's all personal preference in the end. Yes, I love the sound of synths as much as pianos, but I've a strong preference for weighted piano-style keys over light linear synth-style keyboards. I was eyeing smaller keyboards but the high end key action won me over to the (88 key) FP-30 over the (64 key) RD-64. I will admit I'm a bit odd, using a fully weighted fullsize piano keyboard as a midi controller but I like it so who cares! I'm certainly happy with my Roland. Only those flash looking, delightfully twiddly Nords tempt me to ever get another. Though, actually, their weighted models aren't as nice feeling as my Roland, to my taste at least.

pgru

15 Apr 2021, 15:50

Generally I will like full-weighted 88 key, which maybe wrongly I think is more similar to real piano feel. But the problem is ... the price(for me). M-Audio Hammer 88 cost 3 X (!) the price of half-weighted 88 M-Audio, which is also not cheap...

Willy4876

15 Apr 2021, 17:28

I've actually seen one of these in a thrift store once. They wanted $120 for it though so I didn't grab it.

Muirium
µ

15 Apr 2021, 17:55

Probably a good move!

Re: The price of weighted keyboards, these things really are mechanical inside. I certainly wouldn't spend beamspring money on one—I wouldn't spend beamspring money on a beamspring!—but they're definitely in a different class of hardware entirely from synth keys. Try lifting one sometime!

pgru

16 Apr 2021, 12:16

I found a not pro version of M-Audio Hammer, that cost much nicer (2 x times that half-weighted) than Pro version - maybe it have the same 88 keys, and just lack extra keys for professional stage playing... But yes, probably the best would be to go to music store and gently ask if they can give a feel of half-weighted and full-weighted(and maybe start saving more money after that ;-) )

About the topic - if I will be a programmer/maker of this - and according to manual it look like it have only PS/2 port(simply design?) I would probably treat the music keys like "extra keyboard keys", and just write a keyboard/MIDI driver for MIDI purpose in OS.
But don't known if it work with cheap USB/ PS/2 converter, maybe it need something like "MusicSoarer":-)

hellothere

18 Apr 2021, 00:05

Look at my earlier posts. You do need some "translating" software.

micmil

18 Apr 2021, 01:53

pgru wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 12:16
treat the music keys like "extra keyboard keys"
Software already exists to do this.

https://midikey2key.de/

https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

These are just a couple of quick searches. MIDI is old as hell and already has a tool to do literally anything you could possibly think of involving MIDI and anything else that exists. Yes, even THAT. You weirdo. As long as the keyboard (the music one, not DIE TAS TAT ORRRR) is putting out pure MIDI and not some weirdass hybrid signal it should be simple enough to do what you want.

Return to “Keyboards”