TTI TA-10C and 'Cleveland' KB-5150-1

4_404

16 Apr 2021, 07:39

Yet another pair of (sort of?) interesting boards that I wanted to share. Apologies for the terrible photos, the lighting was very bad.

The first is a TTI TA-10C. This board is an AT clone identical to the SKB-5150C, except that it's not. It has Key World clones like the SKB-5150C, and has the same case, but the PCB has the TTI logo, and TA-10C branding, like the the TTI TA-14, but the PCB and is virtually identical to that of the Tai Hao TH-5150, and very different to the SKB-5150C PCB on the wiki. The 'TA-10C' lettering on the PCB, especially the 'C' is very similar to the '5150CAT' lettering on the Tai Hao board as well. The board is well built, with a metal bottom panel and brass screw inserts in the plastic case.
TTI Top.jpg
TTI Top.jpg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 824 times
TTI PCB 2.jpg
TTI PCB 2.jpg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 824 times
Spoiler:
TTI Caps.jpg
TTI Caps.jpg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 824 times
TTI Bottom.jpg
TTI Bottom.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 824 times
Further, some of the switches are not Key World, but completely unbranded MX black clones. I'm not sure how well these photos will show it, but the unbranded switches have very shiny housings and sharp edges compared to the other switches. The shells are very subtly different on pretty much every surface, and it appears they are based on entirely different moulds. Even the springs are different. Some of the unbranded switches have mould numbering on the LED recess, and others do not. Both clones are pretty scratchy when loose, although some feel very smooth, and when typing on them, I cannot really feel the difference between these and the MX blacks in the Cleveland board. The Key World switches have some mould defects, such as unreadable branding and holes in the top switch housing.
Key World Switches 3.jpg
Key World Switches 3.jpg (537.04 KiB) Viewed 824 times
Spoiler:
Key World Switch Internals Light.jpg
Key World Switch Internals Light.jpg (967.9 KiB) Viewed 824 times
TTI Switches 2.jpg
TTI Switches 2.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 824 times
Key World Top Light.jpg
Key World Top Light.jpg (776.07 KiB) Viewed 824 times
Key World Sliders.jpg
Key World Sliders.jpg (3.13 MiB) Viewed 824 times
Key World Side.jpg
Key World Side.jpg (433.88 KiB) Viewed 824 times
Key World Bottom.jpg
Key World Bottom.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 824 times
The spacebar uses a white switch which is incredibly heavy and makes it difficult to actually type on the board. The big ass enter key uses a Cherry style vertical stabiliser, and a white dummy switch with a very light spring for the horizontal. I have not seen a MX style board with a dummy switch before.
SKB PCB Top.jpg
SKB PCB Top.jpg (3.13 MiB) Viewed 824 times
The caps are very good, and have not yellowed like the case. They are thick doubleshots (except for pad numpad enter and print screen), with molding that I have not seen before. They are thicker than they appear, as the black layer on the inside is much thicker than on Cherry caps, and the actual thickness is easier to see looking at the single shot pad printed cap.
Cleveland TTI Caps.jpg
Cleveland TTI Caps.jpg (3.11 MiB) Viewed 824 times
The 2nd board is an XT clone with Cleveland branding. Cleveland was a local computer distributor, mostly of XT to 386 clones. This board is pretty standard, with MX blacks and nice doubleshot keycaps. I cannot tell the difference between these and Cherry caps, and it's possible that they are the real deal. Unfortunately the case is extremely yellowed, and is brittle and cracked in a couple of places.The PCB silk screen identifies it as KB-5150-1, with a date of '10/4'85'. As per the silk screen, the board as diodes, so NRKO.I am not sure what the N.N/S/W silk screening means. The most interesting thing about this board is the 'CH S/N' serial number sticker on the bottom, which I have only seen on Chicony boards. Is this a Chicony? The model number follows the Chicony style, but I've not seen an Chicony XT boards before, or Chicony boards with keycaps of this quality.
Cleveland Top.jpg
Cleveland Top.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 824 times
Cleveland Top Label 3.jpg
Cleveland Top Label 3.jpg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 824 times
Spoiler:
Cleveland Bottom Label.jpg
Cleveland Bottom Label.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 824 times
Cleveland Internals.jpg
Cleveland Internals.jpg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 824 times
Cleveland PCB.jpg
Cleveland PCB.jpg (3.48 MiB) Viewed 824 times
Cleveland Bottom.jpg
Cleveland Bottom.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 824 times

TheInverseKey

16 Apr 2021, 19:36

I have these weird clones as well. I also have them in many different colours as well. Including Brown. I have not been able to track down the Brown ones but they seem to be similar to Aristotle.

Return to “Keyboards”