Has anyone tried the Cox CNK 103 topre clone?

akjaliedea

28 Apr 2021, 03:38

Hey folks I’m new to this board,

My current keyboard is a cheap hot-swappable board with kailh Box Jade clickbar switches. It’s a whole lotta fun to use because everything feels really exaggerated; however its also really loud and I cant type very quick on it (I type much quicker on an 11” ipad pro magic keyboard lol).

Because of that - I’m looking to get a new keyboard.

Ive been pining after a topre board for a good while now but they are kinda expensive and I would also like to be able to put Arabic keycaps on at some point in the future when I get a set.

The Cox CNK 103 looks like the topre clone with build quality closest to actual topre boards.
From what I’ve read it uses 50g nopu switches. From the pictures it has both white and peach coloured stems just like the high end aluminium Niz atom 68 (the pcb looks very similar too).

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103669.0
https://coolenjoy.net/bbs/review/871742?p=3

There doesn’t seem to have been anything written about it in English. Has anyone used this board? Is there anymore information about how it feels?

Honestly, I think I’m going to buy one anyway - I just want something to sate my excitement :D

Go-Kart

28 Apr 2021, 09:16

I haven't had the pleasure of this keyboard but I have used boards with the 35 g and 45 g Niz EC switches. I found Niz switches to be quiet, just as quiet as a dampened Topre. However, they don't feel like Topre. I wrote a piece here recently comparing Niz to Topre.

My conclusion was basically, if you're after that distinct Topre key feel, it's worth the wait while you gather your pennies.

Have you ever tickled Topre keys yourself?

Muirium
µ

28 Apr 2021, 10:28

Defo get a real Topre. Sooner or later you’re going to have to compare them, and the sooner that comparison comes the better for your wallet. ;)

Remember: MX compatible Topre sliders are a thing, too.

Jan Pospisil

28 Apr 2021, 16:12

I really like the 80-1800 case style, and I would love to get a Topre clone. It's unfortunate they're all ANSI.

Dikkus

29 Apr 2021, 07:35

That looks exactly like my Niz board's internals to me, wouldn't be surprised if it feels the same as a Niz.

akjaliedea

29 Apr 2021, 14:22

Go-Kart wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 09:16
I haven't had the pleasure of this keyboard but I have used boards with the 35 g and 45 g Niz EC switches. I found Niz switches to be quiet, just as quiet as a dampened Topre. However, they don't feel like Topre. I wrote a piece here recently comparing Niz to Topre.

My conclusion was basically, if you're after that distinct Topre key feel, it's worth the wait while you gather your pennies.

Have you ever tickled Topre keys yourself?
Thanks for your write-up its very useful. Abko is the parent company of Cox and korean forums seem to be impressed with the cnk103's quality despite coming from Abko - you can make the leap as to what Abko's reputation is.

I haven't actually used a Topre before - I think I'm drawn to them because I've enjoyed other high quality non-mechanical keyboards, ie both the old and new style thinkpad keyboards which to me both feel cushioned like how people describe topre. I'm probably making a false equivalency in that and of course there is a world of difference between a laptop keyboard and discreet one. Topre being advertised as a typist's keyboard is also part of the draw.

So I've really got no clue whether what I'm looking for is the topre switch, the niz switch, or something else entirely.

Having to proxy the Cox from Korea makes it a dead-end purchase if it turns out the typing feel doesn't quite fit - perhaps I'll buy a topre board with the possibility of returning it after a couple weeks, and continuing to use stickers for Arabic sub-legends is not too great a sacrifice.

I'm kinda running myself in circles trying to decide what to do here :lol:

Muirium
µ

29 Apr 2021, 14:33

With MX adapters, Topre is your oyster…

Then it's just down to finding a nice Arabic MX set.

Go-Kart

29 Apr 2021, 18:14

akjaliedea wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 14:22
[...] I haven't actually used a Topre before [...]

I'm kinda running myself in circles trying to decide what to do here :lol:
Well, let's see if me, or anyone else, can offer a little more assistance. You've mentioned you like your Box Jades. I've got one here; sharp/well defined tactility, med-heavy weighting to my feel. Are there any other switches you've tried that you like? Can you describe what you like about them? Can you say what you prefer or don't prefer about them, relative to your Box Jades?

There's plenty of people on here with better experience of switches than me. If you post some details about your subjective experience of the switches you've tried, other members may be able to point you in the right direction.

akjaliedea

01 May 2021, 13:34

So a 55g Realforce board came up at a good price and - all of a sudden - the decision became much easier...

Muirium
µ

01 May 2021, 13:36

🥳  

Go-Kart

01 May 2021, 15:29

Very nice.

Return to “Keyboards”