IBM model f foam template

Samdoses

02 May 2021, 16:35

I am looking for the foam templates from Wcass but I cannot find it can someone link the post to me. I am looking for the model f xt. Thanks
Last edited by Samdoses on 02 May 2021, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

hellothere

02 May 2021, 16:53

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8033

I did a quick check. I think the templates start on page 5.

darkcruix

02 May 2021, 17:15

Samdoses wrote:
I am looking for the foam templates from Wcass but I cannot find it can someone link the post to me. Thanks
I have used the attached file for F AT foam and it was a perfect fit. I have not looked at the other files (I only manipulated them so they can be laser cut).
Model F AT-Model.pdf.zip
(10.78 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
If you need them for another keyboard, please share the file and results, when done. I would love to make all foam cut files available on my web page at https://www.bucklingspring.com.

I also have converted these two versions which I checked against the Laser Cutting analysis tool for correctness. They contain the SVG file and the PDF. They all are derivatives of a version from the link earlier:
F122.zip
(428.6 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
F62.zip
(71.44 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

Samdoses

02 May 2021, 18:35

Sorry I meant for the xt version

Samdoses

02 May 2021, 18:45

hellothere wrote:
02 May 2021, 16:53
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8033

I did a quick check. I think the templates start on page 5.

Samdoses

02 May 2021, 18:46

darkcruix wrote:
02 May 2021, 17:15
Samdoses wrote:
I am looking for the foam templates from Wcass but I cannot find it can someone link the post to me. Thanks
I have used the attached file for F AT foam and it was a perfect fit. I have not looked at the other files (I only manipulated them so they can be laser cut).
Model F AT-Model.pdf.zip

If you need them for another keyboard, please share the file and results, when done. I would love to make all foam cut files available on my web page at https://www.bucklingspring.com.

I also have converted these two versions which I checked against the Laser Cutting analysis tool for correctness. They contain the SVG file and the PDF. They all are derivatives of a version from the link earlier:
F122.zip
F62.zip

Wazrach

02 May 2021, 18:58

I know this thread is about a template, but here's something that works really well for me. To mark the foam, I like to put it between the front of the barrel frame and the back of the backplate, holding them firmly together with binder clips. The foam should be sandwiched nicely and won't give, meaning it should be super easy to use a pen and mark the holes accurately. Be careful not to crush any stabiliser clips. You can legibly mark black foam with one of those glittery metallic pens.

Samdoses

02 May 2021, 19:10

Wazrach wrote:
I know this thread is about a template, but here's something that works really well for me. To mark the foam, I like to put it between the front of the barrel frame and the back of the backplate, holding them firmly together with binder clips. The foam should be sandwiched nicely and won't give, meaning it should be super easy to use a pen and mark the holes accurately. Be careful not to crush any stabiliser clips. You can legibly mark black foam with one of those glittery metallic pens.
can I put it together normally without the barrels (I have no clips on hand) or does it make it easy in the order you mentioned. Thanks

Wazrach

02 May 2021, 19:47

Samdoses wrote:
02 May 2021, 19:10
Wazrach wrote:
can I put it together normally without the barrels (I have no clips on hand) or does it make it easy in the order you mentioned. Thanks
You just literally use the bare plates to sandwich the foam, basically the reverse of how they normally are - the outside of the backplate touching the front of the barrel frame without any barrels. Then you use the barrel plate as the template.

hellothere

03 May 2021, 19:09

I double-checked to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, especially because I used one of these templates on an F XT within the past year or two. I was right! It's the first post on page 5 of that thread. I don't know if this will work -- I've had direct links to files fail before -- but here's a link to the file.

darkcruix

03 May 2021, 20:09

hellothere wrote:
I double-checked to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, especially because I used one of these templates on an F XT within the past year or two. I was right! It's the first post on page 5 of that thread. I don't know if this will work -- I've had direct links to files fail before -- but here's a link to the file.

I completely missed that one - thanks !!!
I made another drawing that removes some additional lines (attached the SVG and PDF).
Model F XT Foam.zip
(41.08 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

hellothere

04 May 2021, 00:04

I think I mentioned elsewhere, but I would definitely, absolutely pay for someone to make Model F "foam" mats ... if I ever get another Model F in need of repair, that is. While I think the templates are great, I must have failed scissors, hole punches, and Xacto knife trimming in high school. My best job pales in comparison to laser-cut.

darkcruix

04 May 2021, 08:42

hellothere wrote:
04 May 2021, 00:04
I think I mentioned elsewhere, but I would definitely, absolutely pay for someone to make Model F "foam" mats ... if I ever get another Model F in need of repair, that is. While I think the templates are great, I must have failed scissors, hole punches, and Xacto knife trimming in high school. My best job pales in comparison to laser-cut.
I made 5 AT neoprene mats ... I only needed one. The problem is the price. The cut in low quantities is the problem. I paid $65 for the first mat and <$115 for all six I made. If I would get 20 pcs. created for each major model the price would be at $30 each - without shipping. I doubt that people would pay such a high price for it....

hellothere

04 May 2021, 18:22

I'd buy a couple Model F XT @ $15 a piece. Like, right now. I don't even have any Model Fs right now.

Group buy? Get a bunch done and sell on ebay?

darkcruix

04 May 2021, 18:43

For 20 I'd pay 205 EUR shipped, that is US$ 248 (would be ca. $15 per piece if I calculated that correctly).
I am based in Europe, so it would not make a ton of sense to ship them across the pond.
I am happy to get a bunch made here in Europe and pass them on - what would you say are the most common ones needed?
* XT
* F122
* AT
* ?
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 18.33.01.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 18.33.01.jpg (400.59 KiB) Viewed 5199 times

Muirium
µ

04 May 2021, 18:46

I could use an AT and original Kishsaver. Neither needs it yet but y’know.

Do Beamsprings need similar cutting? If so, 3276 me up.

If volume helps, we could hoard spares I suppose. Really depends on pricing and shelf life.

Samdoses

05 May 2021, 21:35

hellothere wrote:
Thanks you this will really help

Wazrach

05 May 2021, 21:37

I'd love a 122-key mat! I already have one which is just fine, but I'd like something a bit cleaner than my typical rough work. :P
Last edited by Wazrach on 05 May 2021, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

an_achronism

05 May 2021, 22:24

If you're in Europe, you're not that far from me, much to the dismay of the current UK government (;)) so I would potentially be interested in stocking up on one or two of these. I'm in the process of attempting to build a wee IBM collection for the first time.

Is it any less viable to mix and match the templates when you order these, or is that perfectly fine as long as you're buying a few in one go? So if you ordered a handful of F122s, some XTs, some ATs, or whatever, would that be OK or would you need to order a minimum amount for each template? Would the per-unit pricing be any different for the larger boards, e.g. F122?

I might be in for an XT, AT, F122, and potentially one for the mythical F107 that I don't own but merely wish I did. I can dream, eh?

hellothere

06 May 2021, 18:44

As I often say on this forum, I'm disappointed because I'm in the USA.

I think the most common are going to be the Model F XT followed by the Model F AT. 83/84 key.

Bjerrk

06 May 2021, 18:54

I'd be interested in an XT as well, at the very least.

xbb

13 May 2021, 14:06

Definitely interested for a couple original kishsaver and maybe F122

darkcruix

13 May 2021, 23:22

I have a first delivery of Model F AT foam, 2mm Neoprene. I'd sell it for US$ 20, but have no clue about international shipping costs etc.
As the foam can be placed in a padded envelope, it should be relatively inexpensive.

Please PM me, if you are interested in F AT foam ... pictures of it an earlier batch can be seen here but the new cut is exactly the same, made by Snijlab in The Netherlands:
IMG_4192.JPG
IMG_4192.JPG (407.23 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
IMG_4191.JPG
IMG_4191.JPG (370.55 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
IMG_4209.JPG
IMG_4209.JPG (259.61 KiB) Viewed 4808 times

darkcruix

07 Jun 2021, 11:35

If someone wants to build an extremely oversized Model F XT, I have foams for it ....
Spoiler:
I just didn't check the damn units ...
IMG_1499.jpeg
IMG_1499.jpeg (281 KiB) Viewed 4392 times

darkcruix

07 Jun 2021, 11:47

Properly sized foams are available:

IBM F122, 2mm neoprene: US$ 28
IBM F62, 2mm neoprene (not for the reproduction): US$ 12
IBM AT, 2mm neoprene: US$ 14
Spoiler:
IMG_1501.jpeg
IMG_1501.jpeg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 4388 times
IMG_1500.jpeg
IMG_1500.jpeg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 4388 times
IMG_1503.jpeg
IMG_1503.jpeg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 4388 times
Shipping cost depends on the country it needs to be shipped to, I am based in Germany / EU.

I only have a small amount available, please PM me.

Bjerrk

07 Jun 2021, 13:08

darkcruix wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 11:47
Properly sized foams are available:

IBM F122, 2mm neoprene: US$ 28
IBM F62, 2mm neoprene (not for the reproduction): US$ 12
IBM AT, 2mm neoprene: US$ 14
Spoiler:
IMG_1501.jpeg
IMG_1500.jpeg
IMG_1503.jpeg
Shipping cost depends on the country it needs to be shipped to, I am based in Germany / EU.

I only have a small amount available, please PM me.
Great work!

qzyki

23 Jun 2021, 08:37

darkcruix wrote:
If someone wants to build an extremely oversized Model F XT, I have foams for it ....
Spoiler:
IMG_1499.jpeg
Shoot, I would've totally purchased one from you if they were the right size. Any plans to try another batch?

Also, I was wondering how you decided on neoprene cellular rubber for the material. I tried researching what foam to use for the Model F, and this is the first place I saw someone mention a material. Is that what IBM originally used?

darkcruix

23 Jun 2021, 11:17

qzyki wrote:
darkcruix wrote:
Spoiler:
IMG_1499.jpeg
Shoot, I would've totally purchased one from you if they were the right size. Any plans to try another batch?

Also, I was wondering how you decided on neoprene cellular rubber for the material. I tried researching what foam to use for the Model F, and this is the first place I saw someone mention a material. Is that what IBM originally used?
I created my own templates and I ordered a very small batch for testing now ... I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
Find attached the two PDF templates I've used.
Attachments
Bigfoot-Model-F-XT.pdf
(13.85 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Standard-Model-F-XT.pdf
(13.83 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

Wazrach

23 Jun 2021, 13:53

I'd love to know how to print these to scale onto cardboard or something. It would make my marking and hole-punching a lot easier, although everything still lines up fine the way I do it currently.

Speaking of which, as much as I love the 3mm neoprene I've been using, I made my best mat yet out of 3mm white polyethylene. I'm not sure which provides the better key feel and sound, although it was much easier to mark and punch holes into. I always omitted the slits for the metal tabs to poke through, as it was too hard to reliably mark and cut these into neoprene. It was so much easier with the polyethylene, and I was able to craft a much neater mat. It cost me £17.90 for a 2m x 1m roll, which, needless to say, should last forever.

darkcruix

28 Jun 2021, 22:01

darkcruix wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 11:17
qzyki wrote:
darkcruix wrote:
Spoiler:
IMG_1499.jpeg

I created my own templates and I ordered a very small batch for testing now ... I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
Find attached the two PDF templates I've used.
I have received the foams for XT and the Bigfoot... and it fits like a glove ... the templates are good, imho:
IMG_1579.jpeg
IMG_1579.jpeg (163.15 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
Unfortunately the foam is only 1.5mm thick. It does work, but not to my specs. I could use two foam mats combined and it was just right:
IMG_1583.jpeg
IMG_1583.jpeg (217.38 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
I don't want to sell them, as they are way to expensive, when you need to use two of them. My order of 5 each did cost me 75 Eur with tax ...
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 22.00.22.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 22.00.22.jpg (110.5 KiB) Viewed 3983 times

Return to “Keyboards”