Datacomp "Alps" switches

Bjerrk

09 May 2021, 13:21

I'm very curious about the Datacomp "Alps" switches.

According to the wiki, they appeared in a few keyboards around 2018, and on e.g. MechanicalKeyboards.com, you can still choose "Datacomp Alps Blue" when ordering a KBParadise V60 - except that you'll soon realize that they're out of stock.

On the datacomp website, there's even a product page for the DFK191 keyboard, which looks absolutely marvellous while sporting those switches.

I guess my question is: are these boards available anywhere?

The switches themselves are of course not SKCM level stuff, but they seem worth at least trying!

Polecat

09 May 2021, 20:00

Those have come up at least a couple times in the past:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20233&p=431452

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17278

Datacomp started using that case style in the early '90s or maybe even earlier. Many different switches were used over the years, with some running changes in the details and model numbers, and lots of different versions including some for ADB Macs. Strongman was one of the customers for those, as was Hunter, for their wheel alignment machines. The switches included genuine Alps SKCM, Futaba MA, Hua Jie 4 tab Alps clones, and unbranded Alps-like switches with long tabs and switchplates that appear to have been made using early complicated Alps tooling. I have several of those keyboards, but none using the Datacomp switches, unless the SKCM-like ones *were* the Datacomp switches. Or were they the mythical "Strongman" switches? Or both? There's probably a lot more to this story than we've been able to learn working backwards. Understandably Datacomp doesn't want to be bothered by individuals or small companies, for info or switch/keyboard orders. I never heard any updates on the KBParadise models that were to use these switches, so I'm not sure if that ever happened.

Bjerrk

09 May 2021, 20:41

Thanks for all the info, Polecat!
Polecat wrote:
I never heard any updates on the KBParadise models that were to use these switches, so I'm not sure if that ever happened.
I'm pretty sure it did happen.

Polecat

10 May 2021, 00:51

Bjerrk wrote:
09 May 2021, 20:41
Thanks for all the info, Polecat!
Polecat wrote:
I never heard any updates on the KBParadise models that were to use these switches, so I'm not sure if that ever happened.
I'm pretty sure it did happen.
Thanks, it sounds like they bought and tried the Datacomp switches, with disappointing results. And that they are not "complicated" switches, which isn't a surprise either. I've been tempted a couple times to try the more recent Datacomp keyboards of that design, but I'm even less hopeful about those now after reading this.

Return to “Keyboards”