hellothere

26 Sep 2021, 22:15

hellothere wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 20:01
inozenz wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 07:54
hellothere wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 17:15
Just wanted to drop in a note. I'm in Arizona, which is in the far southwest corner of the USA. I'm getting 11 keyboards, IIRC. 19.5kg. I paid for the inozenz service package.

Parcel was dropped off at DHL in Germany on September 4. USPS says it'll be delivered to me tomorrow. That's less than two weeks. Very impressive. Also, this group buy started in May. I've not been a part of a group buy before, but I've watched some on Drop and other places. 4 months is fantastic.

So, I'm a happy camper. I'm eager to tear one of these KBs apart and see what they have!
I'm surprised my self, that smaller boxes take only 2 weeks from Germany to the us. And shipping to anywhere in Europe takes only 1 week. Also considering the time I wasn't able to do anything because of my thesis we could shorten down the time frame. I'm hoping to finish this project within this year. Wish me luck!
USPS reversed themselves on the tracking website and the "scheduled for delivery on 09/17" note has been removed. :cry:

But, at least the keyboards are in the US. I just don't know where they currently are. :)
My keyboards are still in USPS Hell. They got sent to New Jersey on the 19th and have been listed as "in transit" ever since. Current status is "In Transit, arriving late September 23, 2021."

*Sigh*

inozenz

26 Sep 2021, 22:17

hellothere wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 22:15
hellothere wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 20:01
inozenz wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 07:54

I'm surprised my self, that smaller boxes take only 2 weeks from Germany to the us. And shipping to anywhere in Europe takes only 1 week. Also considering the time I wasn't able to do anything because of my thesis we could shorten down the time frame. I'm hoping to finish this project within this year. Wish me luck!
USPS reversed themselves on the tracking website and the "scheduled for delivery on 09/17" note has been removed. :cry:

But, at least the keyboards are in the US. I just don't know where they currently are. :)
My keyboards are still in USPS Hell. They got sent to New Jersey on the 19th and have been listed as "in transit" ever since. Current status is "In Transit, arriving late September 23, 2021."

*Sigh*
jajajaja, i hope the box finds its way to you :(

hellothere

26 Sep 2021, 22:20

Same. It's big enough that it should be hard to lose ...

hellothere

28 Sep 2021, 00:57

... They're heeeere!

Pics in a few minutes.

hellothere

28 Sep 2021, 01:24

Just edited for size. I can take better pictures than this. Really.
Spoiler:
01 - Copy.JPG
01 - Copy.JPG (310.29 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
03 - Copy.JPG
03 - Copy.JPG (280.07 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
04 - Copy.JPG
04 - Copy.JPG (269.75 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
05 - Copy.JPG
05 - Copy.JPG (336.03 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
06 - Copy.JPG
06 - Copy.JPG (314.51 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
07 - Copy.JPG
07 - Copy.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 6559 times
08 - Copy.JPG
08 - Copy.JPG (302.97 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
09 - Copy.JPG
09 - Copy.JPG (918.93 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
Comments:
* The box is roughly 26" x 16" x 16" for 11 keyboards (I haven't counted yet). Weight was 19.5 kg.
* I did play around with the clicky NMB and thought it felt and sounded pretty nice.
* The Televideo keyboard really is comically tall on the back side. It reminds me a lot of a manual typewriter. I haven't yet touched it. I'm a little afraid to, after Chyros' video.
* Time from Germany to Arizona in the US was 23 days. Just came in a regular USPS truck.

inozenz

28 Sep 2021, 08:39

hellothere wrote:
Just edited for size. I can take better pictures than this. Really.
Spoiler:
01 - Copy.JPG
03 - Copy.JPG
04 - Copy.JPG
05 - Copy.JPG
06 - Copy.JPG
07 - Copy.JPG
08 - Copy.JPG
09 - Copy.JPG
Comments:
* The box is roughly 26" x 16" x 16" for 11 keyboards (I haven't counted yet). Weight was 19.5 kg.
* I did play around with the clicky NMB and thought it felt and sounded pretty nice.
* The Televideo keyboard really is comically tall on the back side. It reminds me a lot of a manual typewriter. I haven't yet touched it. I'm a little afraid to, after Chyros' video.
* Time from Germany to Arizona in the US was 23 days. Just came in a regular USPS truck.
YAYY good to see that the boards are arriving safely. i hope the packaging was as good as promised and you dont feel robbed or anything. im still overwhelmed by the fact that these packages arrive so fast!

Muirium
µ

28 Sep 2021, 08:48

Hannibal. Cigar. Great plan. You know the one! 8-)

hellothere

28 Sep 2021, 18:38

inozenz wrote:
YAYY good to see that the boards are arriving safely. i hope the packaging was as good as promised and you dont feel robbed or anything. im still overwhelmed by the fact that these packages arrive so fast!
Yup and, as mentioned, this has been one of the quickest group buy fulfillments I've seen.

I'm currently typing on one of the clicky keyboards. I replaced most of the German caps with US ones from another NMB keyboard that I haven't bothered putting back together, yet. I do have some complaints about the keyboard, but they're me-specific and have nothing to do with how the KBs were shipped or anything like that.

I think the box was packed pretty well. The box, itself, was in pretty good shape, too. So, while USPS held onto it for awhile, they didn't ding it up.

Yup, I do know the A-Team :D.

inozenz

28 Sep 2021, 20:48

hellothere wrote:
28 Sep 2021, 18:38
inozenz wrote:
Yup, I do know the A-Team :D.
loved the show but was a littel disapointed by the remake movie :/

timw4mail

28 Sep 2021, 20:57

hellothere wrote:
Have you confirmed it has the MEI switches, as opposed to Cherry ML switches? The form factor is definitely interesting either way.

I have a Datalux Spacesaver version with ML switches, but I think the cable needs replacing, or something is electrically wrong, as it's not always recognized by computers it is connected to.

hellothere

28 Sep 2021, 23:28

MEI. I'm typing this on the Televideo MEI right now. I'm fairly sure it's French layout. I think I'm going to put it in the yard for Halloween to scare small children. It is an absolute chore to type on this. Chyros, I feel your pain.

OK, back to typing on my OmniKey.

Confirmed I received the boat anchor, 7 clicky AT keyboards, and 3 of the DEC linear keyboards. So, yes, 11 keyboards. Mostly German. A nice mixture of other countries' layouts, too.

I'm pretty sure that the DEC-style keyboards are speaking "DEC," even though they have PS/2 cables. I tried two of the keyboards. Neither worked on PS/2 on my Windows box and both acted like a key was held down when I used two different PS/2 to USB adapters. I should give one a try on my Mac. I should also check to see if a Soarer's could do anything. As usual, the pins on the motherboard aren't labeled.

Muirium
µ

28 Sep 2021, 23:43

hellothere wrote:
28 Sep 2021, 23:28
MEI. I'm typing this on the Televideo MEI right now. I'm fairly sure it's French layout. I think I'm going to put it in the yard for Halloween to scare small children. It is an absolute chore to type on this. Chyros, I feel your pain.
It, uh, made a lasting impression on him. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=22885

hellothere

29 Sep 2021, 00:04

Ah, classic Chyros. If you're around, Chyros, does your mother actually say that?

Anyhow, I came across wiki/ADDS_VT220 in the Wiki. I'll check to see if there's a dip switch on the linear KBs to make them output AT protocol.

hellothere

29 Sep 2021, 00:14

Nope. No dip switches or jumpers, but I looked closer and removed the cable tie tying the ... cable ... to the PCB. The pins for the keyboard cable are labeled.

hellothere

29 Sep 2021, 00:20

Oh. The linear switches are lubed. Found that out after I turned the keyboard upside down.

inozenz

30 Sep 2021, 09:48

hellothere wrote:
Oh. The linear switches are lubed. Found that out after I turned the keyboard upside down.
Really, that would be new to me, maybe its a layout thing?

inozenz

30 Sep 2021, 11:54

Small update on my car.
Unfortunately, it has a little more problems as initially suspected.
The leak for the water cooling is now fixed, but the gearbox for the power steering also has a crack.
Currently I am in conversation with a man who offers exactly this component as used but in good shape, since the new price is about 300 € and I can shorten it by 1/3 maybe.
In addition, the track adjustment, which I still wanted to do. so the whole thing is hopefully not too expensive.
My estimate is that everything together will cost me about 500€.
In the last weeks I could use the car of my brother, because he was on vacation. however, he is back on friday, so I have no car available and the shipping suffers this week. Next week, however, a large load goes out again. I promise.

eXeP

30 Sep 2021, 13:37

The discord invite link didn't work anymore so I'm posting this here (If you don't want the thread to be cluttered with messages like this, admins please delete this).

I missed the buy, but would be interested in buying at least one of each of the space invaders keyboards (I don't have any and would like to try). So if you are somewhere in EU (preferably near Finland), then hit me up if you're willing to sell one or several boards.

inozenz

30 Sep 2021, 13:44

eXeP wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 13:37
I missed the buy, but would be interested in buying at least one of each of the space invaders keyboards (I don't have any and would like to try). So if you are somewhere in EU (preferably near Finland), then hit me up if you're willing to sell one or several boards.
there will be a second round, ill make a new post, once the forst one is over.

hellothere

30 Sep 2021, 20:35

inozenz wrote:
30 Sep 2021, 09:48
hellothere wrote:
Really, that would be new to me, maybe its a layout thing?
Could be. It's a clear, not especially thick, lube. I can say that the linear switches are pretty nice to type on, so I don't have any complaints that they are lubed, other than I had to clean some of it off the mounting plate.

I did start a thread on these linear KBs because they're going to need some conversion.

TheInverseKey

30 Sep 2021, 21:00

hellothere wrote:
Not lube but a whole lot of flux.

Shorle

01 Oct 2021, 00:50

Now that you mention it I realize there was some fluid on some of the keys on some boards.
If that is indeed lube it's quite thin and not at all in the spots where it has an effect.
If that is indeed flux I don't know what to say, the PCB look well soldered so it would astonish me to leave so much flux. Also, flux is probably even more poisonous or bad for skin than lube. ?

hellothere

01 Oct 2021, 20:52

Shorle wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 00:50
Now that you mention it I realize there was some fluid on some of the keys on some boards.
If that is indeed lube it's quite thin and not at all in the spots where it has an effect.
If that is indeed flux I don't know what to say, the PCB look well soldered so it would astonish me to leave so much flux. Also, flux is probably even more poisonous or bad for skin than lube. ?
Well, probably depends on what's in the lube. Mmmm teflon + hydrochloric acid.

I tend to doubt flux because I haven't ever seen flux that's completely clear and odorless. That being said, I have all of about a year and 1/2 of experience doing major soldering. However, I also have had over 100 (maybe closer to 125, now) vintage keyboards go through my hands and I haven't seen this before. I also have a neglected linear NMB sitting in a corner and also no leaking.

inozenz

02 Oct 2021, 07:53

It's most likely moisture mixed with the stuff the boxes are treated with.

I can assure you not every keyboard has it. And some cables are decolored at some spots.

This ain't lube.

HC514

02 Oct 2021, 22:07

IMG_6910-2.JPG
IMG_6910-2.JPG (4.49 MiB) Viewed 5848 times
Just got a very special package today! Huge thanks for making this happen, inozenz.

As for the moisture, I imagine it's "plastic sweat". It reminds me of the stuff on new Lego tyres. Wipes off easily.

inozenz

03 Oct 2021, 08:54

HC514 wrote:
02 Oct 2021, 22:07
Just got a very special package today! Huge thanks for making this happen, inozenz.

As for the moisture, I imagine it's "plastic sweat". It reminds me of the stuff on new Lego tyres. Wipes off easily.
♥️😊

Palatino

03 Oct 2021, 22:52

705ECA3A-A23C-4442-BEFA-7996E97DE029.jpeg
705ECA3A-A23C-4442-BEFA-7996E97DE029.jpeg (613.08 KiB) Viewed 5750 times
Thanks inozenz, parcel came and was enjoyed by my son who climbed and dribbled all over it before my patience wore out and I hauled it upstairs for the grand opening. Amazing effort to collect and distribute these boards across the globe for minimal financial reward. It feels great to type on something that would otherwise never have seen the light of desk!

inozenz

03 Oct 2021, 22:57

Palatino wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 22:52
705ECA3A-A23C-4442-BEFA-7996E97DE029.jpeg

Thanks inozenz, parcel came and was enjoyed by my son who climbed and dribbled all over it before my patience wore out and I hauled it upstairs for the grand opening. Amazing effort to collect and distribute these boards across the globe for minimal financial reward. It feels great to type on something that would otherwise never have seen the light of desk!
lovely, nice to see that your son is also a big keyboard fan :P <3 i hope the foot for the other keyboard fits.

Palatino

04 Oct 2021, 17:45

Hmm, can’t find the foot loose in the big box. Is it in one of the keyboard boxes? A new take on Hunt the Slipper: Find the Flipper…

Return to “Keyboards”