Bucking Springs, worth it?

whm1974

14 May 2021, 22:37

I may be just misremember things but I would have sworn that the Computer Keyboards of the '80's were a lot better in both Feel and Sound. This includes the 8-bit Systems like Atari, Commodore, and Apple IIe lines. The IBM XT and AT were really nice heavy as well.

Now I'm using Kailh Blue Switches in my AZIO Retro and they are nice but nothing like I remember of the days of old.

I could just buy a Unicomp New Model M, but I want Backlighting and a Fn key as well.

Any Bucking Springs that have these Features.

ddrfraser1

14 May 2021, 22:50

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/

as far as backlighting, you'd have to do that yourself.

whm1974

14 May 2021, 22:59

ddrfraser1 wrote:
14 May 2021, 22:50
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/

as far as backlighting, you'd have to do that yourself.
Way too Expensive....

ddrfraser1

14 May 2021, 23:08

Then no. Unless you are willing to do the technical work of reprograming a board and installing leds yourself, there is nothing that fits what you're looking for.

whm1974

14 May 2021, 23:15

ddrfraser1 wrote:
Then no. Unless you are willing to do the technical work of reprograming a board and installing leds yourself, there is nothing that fits what you're looking for.
Market Failure...

ddrfraser1

14 May 2021, 23:18

Generally people who like vintage boards aren't into rgb. Generally people who type on AZIO Retros won't be into buckling springs or any of the aesthetic that goes along with it. But if you really want it, there are ways to make it happen.

whm1974

14 May 2021, 23:37

ddrfraser1 wrote:
14 May 2021, 23:18
Generally people who like vintage boards aren't into rgb. Generally people who type on AZIO Retros won't be into buckling springs or any of the aesthetic that goes along with it. But if you really want it, there are ways to make it happen.
Well the AZIO Retros are nice and all that, but the design has it's own drawbacks. The Keycaps very easily come off simply by using it. You can lose them if not careful.

Rayndalf

15 May 2021, 02:16

whm1974 wrote:
14 May 2021, 23:15
ddrfraser1 wrote:
Market Failure...
Who actually needs RGB? Just turn on the lights (but not too bright) :lol:

Might was well stick an LED light bar under your monitor to illuminate your keys if your monitor isn't bright enough on it's own.

The new Model Fs are incredible value for what they are, they're cheaper than the Fs of yore even before you adjust for inflation. Just because overengineered 80's tech was considered junk for a while doesn't mean it wasn't expensive to make.

If you don't want to buy an F then clicky Kailh box switches are quite nice. The buckling spring design isn't well suited to backlighting and Model Ms are typically stuck at a 2 key rollover (except for the Mini M which has higher rollover but has some QC issues right now).

whm1974

15 May 2021, 02:38

Who actually needs RGB? Just turn on the lights (but not too bright) :lol:

Might was well stick an LED light bar under your monitor to illuminate your keys if your monitor isn't bright enough on it's own.

The new Model Fs are incredible value for what they are, they're cheaper than the Fs of yore even before you adjust for inflation. Just because overengineered 80's tech was considered junk for a while doesn't mean it wasn't expensive to make.

If you don't want to buy an F then clicky Kailh box switches are quite nice. The buckling spring design isn't well suited to backlighting and Model Ms are typically stuck at a 2 key rollover (except for the Mini M which has higher rollover but has some QC issues right now).
[/quote]

This may just be an Urban Legend, but is it true that someone beat the crap out another person with an IBM Keyboard? I heard this in this 80's. The KB afterward still worked.

sharktastica

15 May 2021, 03:55

whm1974 wrote:
This may just be an Urban Legend, but is it true that someone beat the crap out another person with an IBM Keyboard? I heard this in this 80's. The KB afterward still worked.
Even if there isn't a publicised case, it's probably happened. I once punched a Unicomp keyboard with considerable force (don't ask why, freak accident) and it survived, so a vintage M from back in the day shouldn't have much of a problem.

(Also, hi again! I've been replying to your thread on the LinusTechTips forum on this subject. :lol: )

an_achronism

15 May 2021, 03:58

sharktastica wrote:
15 May 2021, 03:55
I once punched a Unicomp keyboard with considerable force
I'm tempted to do that right now because my right Shift seems to be a bit slow on the uptick (see what I did there?) so I keep ending up with the second letter of a capitalised word being capitalised as well. WHich gets a bit annoying. EVentually. IT's fine.

(Not sure why now, it's been fine for weeks.)

Polecat

15 May 2021, 04:58

whm1974 wrote:

Us oldsters will remember this as the victim of a burglary (think Humphrey Bogart) catching a burglar in the act and clobbering him over the head with the receiver of a Western Electric telephone, then using the same telephone to call the police. It would add credibility to the IBM keyboard version if the same keyboard was used to email a description of the beating after the fact.

an_achronism

15 May 2021, 05:21

Polecat wrote:
Us oldsters will remember this as the victim of a burglary (think Humphrey Bogart) catching a burglar in the act and clobbering him over the head with the receiver of a Western Electric telephone, then using the same telephone to call the police. It would add credibility to the IBM keyboard version if the same keyboard was used to email a description of the beating after the fact.
Might be a valid self-defence system to carry a Model M around just in case. I live in Glasgow so it's probably a good idea to travel battle-ready.

Jacobalbertus1

15 May 2021, 05:30

i mean its tradeoff great switches or backlighting only switches I like over the buckling spring are the beamsprings

whm1974

15 May 2021, 05:33

Polecat wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Well the way I heard it, a female employee gotten tired of a male employee, maybe her boss Sexually Harassing her all the time, in a fit picked up said KB and knock him out. She then continue working.

Talk about Well Made.

Muirium
µ

15 May 2021, 10:02

Solid zinc cased Model Fs like my Kishsaver are more than enough to knock someone out. Careful now! Grievous bodily harm (by keyboard) is nothing to joke about!

I'll back up what people are saying here about vintage Model Ms and Unicomp vs. the chintzy China made crap that's failing to impress you, or indeed even keep its caps on. Ask yourself what do you really want: bells and whistles or a solid classic feel? If your answer is "both!", try again. ;)

Bjerrk

15 May 2021, 10:51

Wait, you're saying that this Rolls Royce doesn't come with a sweet-ass bass system in the trunk? Market Failure!
;-)

Muirium
µ

15 May 2021, 11:15

While the E-Type is generally considered a classic among classics, few seem to notice its shocking lack of a spoiler, let alone the suboptimal sound system and questionable cup holders.

Tritian

15 May 2021, 11:28

Is it worth it? Yes, very yes.

If you value the sound, feel, and build quality of your keyboards over its lighting, then it is worth it. For example, there is no MX switch that can mimmick the feel of membrane or capacitive buckling spring switches and probably never could be due to limitations of the mx design.

The Kailh box switches with their clickbars are the closest to the satisfaction you get, but it's not nearly as full of an experience in sound or feel.

I think a model m is great for typing, but not so great for gaming. A model f is best for gaming and typing, because it's a much lighter switch and the capacitive nature means inherent nkro. However, it can be quite loud.

For a long time I used a full sized model m for typing but a light 60% with linears for gaming. but now I basically just use my model f for both tasks.

ddrfraser1

15 May 2021, 13:30

Muirium wrote:
While the E-Type is generally considered a classic among classics, few seem to notice its shocking lack of a spoiler, let alone the suboptimal sound system and questionable cup holders.
Hilarious. You nailed it.

Market failure my ass 😂

raoulduke-esq

15 May 2021, 13:48

I suspect a buckling spring “keeb” would be a market failure as it would lack so many of the things keeb people like. No MX mount for your $500 second hand GMK cherry profile shiny ABS keycaps, nowhere to mount the $2 switches you just got where the tactile leg is .0000001mm longer than the last switch and comes in a different color, no ability to brag about the thickness of the piece of plastic you stuffed between the top and bottom of the switch housing, nowhere really to put very specific lubricants priced higher than gold and then brag about it, nowhere to put band-aids or dielectric grease. Plus, the switches are clicky and keeb people seem to think clicky switches make a deafening cacophony of noise while their spray paint can/dice-slapping sounding tactiles and linears are perfectly quiet. Tis better to spend $1000 “tuning” a keeb than to spend $400 on a keyboard like the new F which has no RGB.

depletedvespene

15 May 2021, 13:53

raoulduke-esq wrote:
15 May 2021, 13:48
I suspect a buckling spring “keeb” would be a market failure as it would lack so many of the things keeb people like. No MX mount for your $500 second hand GMK cherry profile shiny ABS keycaps, nowhere to mount the $2 switches you just got where the tactile leg is .0000001mm longer than the last switch and comes in a different color, no ability to brag about the thickness of the piece of plastic you stuffed between the top and bottom of the switch housing, nowhere really to put very specific lubricants priced higher than gold and then brag about it, nowhere to put band-aids or dielectric grease.
You forgot to mention that the keyboard is already heavy enough and lacks a holder to add a (brass or whatever else) weight.

fohat
Elder Messenger

15 May 2021, 15:03

Muirium wrote:

notice its shocking lack
The early ones barely had bumpers, and certainly not ones that could actually withstand a bump.
Attachments
jaguar-E-type-convertible.jpg
jaguar-E-type-convertible.jpg (161.8 KiB) Viewed 4332 times

Muirium
µ

15 May 2021, 15:07

Sex on wheels!

Once the road safety standards of the state of California was done with it… not quite so much.

Strange. This is the first time I've even considered cars de-evolving over time as happened so plainly to keyboards. In Jaguar's case it was about new consumer law, as I understand it. (The right not to be torn to shreds as soon as you bumped the damn thing!) In keyboards, nah, just naked cost cutting sanctioned by complete consumer indifference.

an_achronism

15 May 2021, 15:54

I've been biting my tongue very hard for the purposes of not upsetting anybody in this thread but I'm quietly enjoying that the points I would have liked to make are being made anyway, with the requisite dripping sarcasm. Bless you all.

fohat
Elder Messenger

Muirium wrote:
15 May 2021, 15:07

The right not to be torn to shreds as soon as you bumped the damn thing!
Why bother with something useless, anyway?
Attachments
1960-austin-healey-bugeye-sprite.jpg
1960-austin-healey-bugeye-sprite.jpg (692.57 KiB) Viewed 4308 times

an_achronism

15 May 2021, 16:05

fohat wrote:
Why bother with something useless, anyway?
Awww, lookit ees wee face...

Muirium
µ

15 May 2021, 16:24

Thomas the mid-engine sportscar and friends!

an_achronism

15 May 2021, 21:49

Muirium wrote:
15 May 2021, 16:24
Thomas the mid-engine sportscar and friends!
I've had the theme tune looping in my head ever since you posted this.

I will have my revenge.

raoulduke-esq

15 May 2021, 21:56

Luckily the electrical system in IBM keyboards is better than it was in these British sports cars with their weird voltages, positive earth, random shorts, and periodic fires.

Return to “Keyboards”