DIY Custom Keyboards?

whm1974

15 May 2021, 19:22

So I watched this YouTube Video on a DIY ~$100 Keyboard. Pricing isn't bad for something to check out... However not sure if I could use a 60% Board instead of a full size or TKL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYYbUB7gvD0

I would like to start out with a TKL first as I don't use the Keypad nowhere as I used to. A Snap together one instead of having by a Soldering Gun and Solder.

raoulduke-esq

15 May 2021, 20:18

Someone here might have some ideas but that might also be more of a Reddit question than a Deskthority question because the Reddit community has more folks interested in what you’re asking about.

whm1974

15 May 2021, 20:57

raoulduke-esq wrote:
15 May 2021, 20:18
Someone here might have some ideas but that might also be more of a Reddit question than a Deskthority question because the Reddit community has more folks interested in what you’re asking about.
I was under the impression that a lot of Users here have Built their Keyboards.

vvp

15 May 2021, 21:18

Some users of this site built their own keyboards. You can find them in the Workshop forum.
But there is no question yet. Only an announcement that you try to built one.
Last edited by vvp on 15 May 2021, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

Hak Foo

15 May 2021, 22:21

What are you trying to achieve by building your own board?

If you just want to try some specific caps and switches, there are "hot swap" barebones boards you can buy and populate with the features of your choice.

Are you more interested in custom firmware features? Look for something with QMK support.

If you don't have a specific "it must be exactly X, Y, and Z" goals, you can probably use something off-the-shelf and customize it within the bounds itoffers, rather than breaking out the solder and making something from scratch.

ddrfraser1

16 May 2021, 00:00

What are you asking?

whm1974

16 May 2021, 06:00

Hak Foo wrote:
15 May 2021, 22:21
What are you trying to achieve by building your own board?

If you just want to try some specific caps and switches, there are "hot swap" barebones boards you can buy and populate with the features of your choice.

Are you more interested in custom firmware features? Look for something with QMK support.

If you don't have a specific "it must be exactly X, Y, and Z" goals, you can probably use something off-the-shelf and customize it within the bounds itoffers, rather than breaking out the solder and making something from scratch.
Well I would look for snap together hot swap barebone Kits to avoid soldering. And yes backlighting is desired.

Findecanor

16 May 2021, 12:23

whm1974 wrote:
16 May 2021, 06:00
Well I would look for snap together hot swap barebone Kits to avoid soldering. And yes backlighting is desired.
If you're looking for low price and don't care about programmability, I would suggest taking a look at a Glorious GMMK TKL. ISO or ANSI. There are several choices of switches and keycaps, but for each choice you can choose "none".
Although ... not everyone would call that a "custom". It is a simple floating-keys design with plastic under the plate, and while the keyboard is supposed to support macros and whatnot, the software is reportedly practically unusable. Barebones $60, up to $160 with Glorious Panda switches and keycaps.

Another "not-really-custom" TKL with hot-swapping would be the Drop CTRL, for around $200... whenever it is available for group-order at Drop.com. The final price could depend on how many get on each group-order.
No bare-bones option, I think. Also a floating-keys design and ANSI only, but made of milled aluminium and has sideglow. The design is fully open source, based on the Input Club K-Type, and it is supported by QMK and Kiibohd. Drop has their Holy Panda switches, and others from Kailh.

Return to “Keyboards”