What is the difference between Unicomp Mini m and traditional unicomp?

:Dön:

27 May 2021, 11:34

I live in Japan so it will be a while before I receive my mini m. I would like to hear from people in the US who have already received their mini m and what they think of it. In particular, I would like to know more about the case and the detachable cable.🙏👍

Bjerrk

27 May 2021, 11:40

Not trying to be a downer, but did you read e.g. this thread?

Tribal

27 May 2021, 12:23

I’m interested, too. I’ve read the reviews and watched the videos, but I’m still not clear.

It seems like this has a similar build quality to the New Model M, with a detachable USB-A to USB-A cable and a more complicated PCB. I’ve heard that Unicomp has refreshed their tooling and so the case and keys are much nicer than even 2019 products. People seem fine with the detachable cable, although it locks and so it sounds like it’s not meant to be constantly unplugged. They’re having some problems with the firmware that they say they just fixed a few days ago.

I’m interested in one, but want to know more about the feel. I have a used 2013 Unicomp Classic and a Model F AT, and my Unicomp is almost unusable if I’ve typed on the AT any time recently. I bought some Unicomp keycaps recently and was very disappointed at how worn-down they were. I’d like to know if the Mini M is getting close to the top-of-the-line-Model M feel or if it’s just “good for Unicomp.”

:Dön:

27 May 2021, 13:49

These are just my predictions and thoughts.
Unicomp and IBM are in a different situation to make keyboards, they will never reach IBM's quality because Unicomp needs to produce keyboards at a much lower price. I expect them to produce the best quality they can. I think there are many things they can do better.👍
I think the quality of the Unicomp keycaps was usually good. My only complaint is the color of the keys and the placement of the letters. The color is not the same as the original color and the placement of the letters is off. The reason for the misaligned text is their print data. Please see this thread for more details. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25708

Yasu0

27 May 2021, 19:12

The mini M case and the cable are fine imo.. but I do not touch the cable much or worry about a lack of 80's style solidity.

Like the others stated its some of the other things about the mini M that may not be fine, depending on how you use it and what you care about. I tried mine with a flight sim game last night and it seemed to easily run in to roll over issues. Not that I got it for playing games. Time will tell, but imo for your typical windows workstation use its a good option for what you pay for one in 2021 inflated dollars.

Return to “Keyboards”