!Help! with opto-mechanic switches for typing. Good choice?

Medonho

01 Jun 2021, 21:59

This is my first post here, so let me say hello to everyone. And then, let me ask for some help in choosing a new keyboard only for typing work.

I am a writer who has been using a Matias Tactile Pro for several years already - thank you Thomas for the review. Recently, however, as I have improving my typing speed, Matias switches make my hands fell tired very fast, my typing experience became torturous, and I decided to explore other options - perhaps something lighter. I decided that it is time to try smooth linear switches for typing, and narrowed options down to:

1. Steelseries Apex Pro
2. Razer Huntsman V2

Questions:

1. Does anyone have experience using these keyboards for typing? Or these switches? What's your opinion?
2. Would you recommend other boards for this same purpose, only typing? (although I like the idea of having macros, since it helps with Scrivener, which I use to write.)

Thanks in advance!

Findecanor

01 Jun 2021, 22:33

BTW. Thomas/Chyros has done reviews of those two too, in case you haven't yet seen.

viewtopic.php?t=22800
viewtopic.php?t=25688

Personally, I would never buy a Razer product. I'd refuse to even use one.
Last edited by Findecanor on 01 Jun 2021, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

Medonho

01 Jun 2021, 22:37

Hi. I've watched these videos, and they are really good, but I don't think he focuses much on describing the typing experience in detail.

Wazrach

01 Jun 2021, 22:43

It's a bit of a hard question to answer, as some people can't type on linears and everyone has their preferences. That said, I think the Apex Pro is a great typing keyboard. The switches feel incredible and you can adjust the actuation so that they're slightly less sensitive than say, Cherry MX Reds. I think that's very comfortable for both gaming and typing, and you get to appreciate the feeling of the switches more. They really are the smoothest switches I've tried so far. There's something a bit more "slick" to the feel compared to the Razer Huntsman boards I've tried (haven't tried the analog variant unfortunately, although I'd love to one day).

Wazrach

01 Jun 2021, 22:44

I forgot to mention, but many people prefer the sound of the Apex Pro, as they are a bit muted in comparison to the Razer's comparitively clacky "opto-mechanical" switches. Both ping quite a bit, although it's quite nice on the Apex Pro. The Razer has stabilisers that are easier to tune, however.

Medonho

01 Jun 2021, 22:49

Well, that's one for the Apex Pro - thank you Wazrach.

Findecanor: I don't necessarily have a predilection towards the Razer - in fact, I never had one. All I want is a nice keyboard to type on, for hours a day, with nice, soft feeling switches. In fact, I've never even tried a linear switch before. I just cannot type on the Matias anymore.

Reimu64

02 Jun 2021, 15:32

I have both boards, and honestly, they’re both extremely smooth to type on. Between the two, my vote would be the Apex Pro as it has the lighter switch which you wish for…and the software doesn’t suck ass.

Medonho

02 Jun 2021, 18:02

Thank you, Reimu64.

Medonho

04 Jun 2021, 00:02

In case anyone is interested, I just received the Apex Pro TKL. Supremely smooth keys - a much better typing experience than my previous Matias Tactile Pro. Did not change the actuation point yet, as the factory setting seems to be perfect as it is. The only problem so far is the lack of Mac modifier keys.

Thank you for all who helped.

Return to “Keyboards”