HHKB Pro 2 Type-S vs. Hybrid Type-S

Go-Kart

03 Jun 2021, 22:50

So, I've been trying to buy a new Pro 2 Type-S for quite a few weeks now and have been let down by a number of vendors in Japan. Got my BT Hasu and battery ready; got my little HHKB case to carry into the office; and I even have my silencing mat ready to keep it all office-quiet and super thocky!

I'm after the KB400WS model. Hasu for programmability. I'm not sheepish when it comes to cracking open a keyboard and don't even think much of breaking out a soldering iron; however, I do not enjoy opening up Topre boards. I find reseating the capacitive springs a nightmare. Primarily for this reason, I wish to buy my HHKB new. Unless I found second hand model that truly was pristine. Obviously, since the KB400WS isn't being produced any more, finding a new one is challenging. I have exhausted all but the eBay sellers asking absurd money. After weeks of being lead on or receiving the wrong model and having to send it back ...to Japan(!), I am now looking to compromise.

Bugger programmability. Sell my brand spanking new Hasu. Settle for the closest keyboard I can actually buy with most of the features that I'm after - KB800WS. It looks pretty much as pleasing as the 400. It's silenced and has Bluetooth. And most importantly, they are in stock, here in the U.K., new, ready for me to buy today.

My question is then: Aside from the obvious differences (BT functionality and the aesthetic implications of the battery housing), are the KB400WS and KB800WS the same? I'm particularly interested in the key feel. I have had my hands on a Pro 2 Type-S before and I rate the key feel head and shoulders above anything else that I've tried. I'm willing to compromise programmability and aesthetics (somewhat) as long as the key feel is there. Can anyone offer their experience comparing the two?
HHKB KB800WS.jpg
HHKB KB800WS.jpg (102.46 KiB) Viewed 2563 times

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2021, 23:05

That picture's a little flattering. From a more honest angle, it really looks like this:

I've not tried any of the newer HHKB models, so I can't speak for feel. Hopefully they are still just as good. But I do worry about that LED hole on the top chassis, between the - and + keys. Is it always lit when powered on? Hasu's implementation is smarter: he put his lights (by USB cutout necessity!) around back where they do not catch your eye.

If the Pro Hybrid (Type-S no less!) were out and on sale here back when I was starting out, I'd have very likely gotten one. Indeed, I always intended to get a second, black HHKB when I could afford it, but just never did.

Anyway, I would still like to know how they compare with the Pro 2. Looks aside, did they mess anything else up?

vincent

04 Jun 2021, 03:46

Muirium wrote:
But I do worry about that LED hole on the top chassis, between the - and + keys. Is it always lit when powered on?
I have an HHKB Pro BT, the first model that introduced wireless capability. The LED is off during normal use. It only turns on momentarily when you turn it on/off or are configuring it, or when the battery is running low. They all have different colors and patterns so you know which is which. Approximately.

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2021, 10:39

Cool. That's what I hoped for. Presumably it shows a blinking blue light when in Bluetooth pairing mode, as well. Pretty standard stuff for bluetooth peripherals, but when manufacturers get it wrong, they really get it wrong! Always good to check. :lol:

How do you power the HHKB on and off: is there a physical switch on the back?

Hasu's replacement Bluetooth controller for the Pro 2 is a nice hack, but obviously can't be quite as elegant as Bluetooth support built in by the manufacturer themselves. He puts a sliding on/off power switch in one USB cutout, and his status indicators in the other! It's very obvious when my HHKB is still switched on when I'm putting it away in my bag. Something of a feature in my case!

jbtb077

07 Jun 2021, 20:18

vincent wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 03:46
Muirium wrote:
But I do worry about that LED hole on the top chassis, between the - and + keys. Is it always lit when powered on?
I have an HHKB Pro BT, the first model that introduced wireless capability. The LED is off during normal use. It only turns on momentarily when you turn it on/off or are configuring it, or when the battery is running low. They all have different colors and patterns so you know which is which. Approximately.
Yep! I can confirm this is also the case with my Hybrid Type-S.

jbtb077

07 Jun 2021, 20:20

Muirium wrote:
How do you power the HHKB on and off: is there a physical switch on the back?
There's a button at the back you hold which will make the LED light cutout on the top of the keyboard turn blue. There are certain key combinations you can press (Fn + Control + [0-4]) to toggle which device to connect to. Device 0 is wired.
Muirium wrote:
Did they mess anything else up?
I know you said aesthetics aside, but other than the bluetooth bump on the back, I think PFU/Fujitsu did a great job.

---

With regards to key feel between the HHKB Pro 2 Type-S and the "Pro 3" line (Classic, Hybrid, Hybrid Type-S), the spacebar is now upgraded to PBT, and the annoying spacebar rattle on the Pro 2 line has been fixed.

Go-Kart

07 Jun 2021, 20:54

Excellent. Thanks for your input!

vadik

30 Jul 2021, 23:31

Have you found what you're looking for? I can sell you a PD-KB400WS, but I wouldn't recommend it, mine is scratchy for whatever reason. I have a PD-KB401WN (for sale) and a PD-KB800WNS. The body of the newer models has been redesigned and looks better, IMO. From the normal sitting position you don't see the battery bump on the back of the KB800. Their space bars are indeed more silent.

http://www.smartimports.net/ and https://happyhackingkb.com/ sell PD-KB400B. Normally I'd recommend getting a KB800, but their firmware is different and, it seems, so are the boards, judging from the different location of the DIP switches, so it's unlikely that Hasu's controller will fit.

Return to “Keyboards”