Tips to get a mint-as-possible original model F?

Tritian

13 Jun 2021, 18:48

i like the feel of the F AT spacebar... It's heavy but it didn't take long to get used to.

Mips

13 Jun 2021, 18:50

fohat wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 18:27
I don't think so, it is merely an attempt to make it lighter.

I Thought as much.
Tritian wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 18:48
i like the feel of the F AT spacebar... It's heavy but it didn't take long to get used to.
Ok good to know - I’ll just have to try one somehow. If I can’t deal with it I’ll have to look into that alt mod.

Everything seems so simple when you’re dealing with model Ms, but as soon as you get to the Fs things get much more involved! If only the new model Fs came in a model M like design with an more open board I’d buy one now.

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 Jun 2021, 05:00

Mips wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 18:50

model Fs came in a model M like design
You're coming around. A 122-key Model F terminal with the ANSI mod is extremely close to a Model M, except with bonus function keys.

And if you like ISO, they are pretty much ready to ride as-is, and the required converter will let you program it the way you want it.

Mips

14 Jun 2021, 08:35

Yes this might be the only option for a perfect original model F. I’d heard it’s space bar is much nicer & the layout is great. Love the combination of a larger enter key and big backspace.

It’s just so damn huge! It really would take over a desk - although it might be worth trying to get over this fact to have the perfect F. It’s a choice between this & an alt-modded AT I guess.

I wonder if there’s someone experienced in alt-modding ATs on this forum who’d be willing to do the mod for me (paid of course). From what I see it’s a very rarely done mod tho.

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 Jun 2021, 15:28

Mips wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 08:35

this might be the only option for a perfect original model F
I think so. And an ISO keyboard layout user will feel right at home - plus getting a bunch of programmable keys as a bonus.

Compared to the bog-standard Model M, the 122-key F terminal is 69mm (2-3/4" or 14%) wider, 14mm (1/2" or 6%) deeper, and 12mm (7/16" or 25%) taller.

When placed side-by-side the difference is surprisingly small, the footprint is just over 20% larger.

Of course the F weighs more than twice what the M weighs, but after lugging it in and setting it in place that added mass becomes a plus.

jmaynard

14 Jun 2021, 16:38

OK, where does one find an F122?

Mips

14 Jun 2021, 16:43

Nice one, and is the space bar on the F122 really good? I know it’s better than the other Fs, but is it superior to the M’s? And does it feel like the rest of the keyboard?

an_achronism

14 Jun 2021, 17:04

Mips wrote:
Nice one, and is the space bar on the F122 really good? I know it’s better than the other Fs, but is it superior to the M’s? And does it feel like the rest of the keyboard?
I mean, define "superior" here. The XT bar is heavy but some like that; it makes it incredibly stable and there's no rattle. By contrast, my F122 bar is extremely light and does rattle (I haven't lubed it yet but will). Which is better? I dunno, I like them both for different reasons.

I'm a bad influence because my solution was "why not both?!"

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 Jun 2021, 17:38

Mips wrote:

is the space bar on the F122 really good? I know it’s better than the other Fs, but is it superior to the M’s?
Kinda sorta. It is exactly the same size and shape as the M space bar, but uses F stabilizer wires (much thinner).

I have gotten F-122s with missing or broken space bars and replaced them with M parts. The difference is very minor with the F gear being marginally lighter.

Mips

15 Jun 2021, 01:52

Really appreciate all the advice, very interesting stuff. I'll take a step back & let it all settle, these Fs can get quite involved!

Tritian

15 Jun 2021, 11:12

So, I personally think an F122 is the way to go also. For example, earlier this month I had purchased an F122 over ebay in pretty bad shape.

When it arrived, i found out it's one of the F122's with a PVC case (similar to a model m) so it doesn't have any issues with paint chips. After taking it apart and giving everything a good scrub, slapping on some unicomp keycaps, and replacing a couple springs, it's working great. I'm typing this post on it right now.

However, I still need to ANSI mod it and fashion a new spacebar wire. (I got some wire coming in the mail to attempt a diy solution, but for now i'm using my other F122s spacebar)

Anyway, with Model F's sometimes you cant be afraid to take a plunge and do a little work if you see a good deal. A lot of things are fixable with some elbow grease... paint chips on the non-pvc cases are the real enemy, but i suppose there is always repainting... if the deal is good enough.

SneakyRobb
THINK

17 Jun 2021, 02:22

fohat wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 15:30
Mips wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 13:36

I'm also looking for a low use/clean one
The IBM Model F is one of the best examples of a keyboard that can realistically be brought to "very-near-new" condition with some work.
This is the real answer. I do not think there is a single keyboard switch design that is more recoverable from dust, rust, or damage than model f. No switch is more revivable than model f. You can take a 6/10 skcm blue and maybe with loads of work bring it up to 7 or even 8.5 with care.. Have a 5/10 skcm? Maybe you can make it okay. Have a 4/10 or less? Rip. There is a reason people suggest getting as mint as possible skcm switches and to avoid them.

Model F? You can take 3/10 maybe 2 or 1/10 and bring it back to nearly 10/10 with work. It is a fantastically resilient and easily repairable mechanism.

It is beyond question, the most resilient, repairable key switch. No other switch can be brought back to NOS level from the deepest of conditions. Even the PCB. The capacitive PCB is by far the most resilient sensing method possible. Any switches with higher durability are lying. Any sensor like magnetic still require a PCB, so if that PCB is toast, so is that sensor. Just like model f would be. Except model f has no surface mount components to die. It is the simplest single most reliable switch we have.

So for your question to answer it. Of all vintage keyboards you can get, Model F is the least benefiting of NOS status. Not because it is bad, but because it doesn't matter. The last keyboard on your list to get NOS, should be a model f.

Weezer

17 Jun 2021, 03:29

I'd say the PCB is actually comparatively the weakest point of the Model F switch. The flippers cause wearing on it over time due to pivoting off of it on every keystroke.

SneakyRobb
THINK

17 Jun 2021, 04:16

Hi,

IBM had durability tests on this and somehow never found fault. I've never seen a model f pcb that was slapped out of commission. The most vulnerable parts of Model F are the pcb controller and the thin plastic case. The point is that any pcb controller fault would stop any other keyboard. The model f doesn't have any solder points or surface mount components that could fail outside the controller.

So even if you think the pcb is the weakest part, there isn't another keyboard that is more durable in that aspect.

Robb

Return to “Keyboards”