IBM 3479JA4 Orihalcon Soarer's Converter help

Johnbo

07 Jun 2021, 21:45

Hey all, I have an IBM 3479JA4 (IBM 5576) keyboard that I got recently. I got it all cleaned up and I'm trying to use the thing, but I'm having a heck of time figuring out what is going on.

Keyboard pics
Spoiler:
I can plug it into my computer's PS/2 input, and every normal key behaves as it should. Every non-standard key makes the computer beep (Windows 10). Because every key behaves normally or at least provokes some sort of response, I know every switch physically works.

I can plug it into a monoprice PS/2 usb converter, and it's pretty much the same thing, any standard key is fine, any non standard key is just ignored.

Things get screwy when I plug it into my Orihalcon Soarer's converter, though. The converter works perfectly fine with my Focus 2001, so the converter as far as I can tell is working properly.

Here's the HID Listen output for plugging it in, then pressing "a" 5 times:

Code: Select all

Waiting for device:......
Listening:
wEE R100wF2 R100

remaining: 0000

Keyboard ID: 0000
Code Set: 2 (extended)
Mode: AT/PS2

wED rFA w02 rFA
r1C +04 d04
rF0
r1C -04 u04
rF0
r1C
rF0
r1C
rF0
r1C
rF0
It kind of works, it'll send the make code, and then after that the next press sent a break code, and then after that it sends some codes but not anything that translates into a keypress. Some presses half work, but mostly it just outputs gibberish. I've looked through the docs but I can't seem to find any info about the codes that it's sending.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for troubleshooting this keyboard with soarer's converter?

raoulduke-esq

07 Jun 2021, 22:00

I don't know about Soarer's Converter for this but the TMK IBM PC USB converter works flawlessly with the 5576.

Johnbo

07 Jun 2021, 22:22

Good to know about the TMK one. It seems to work with my home-made PS/2 converter as well (That I use for a different board), so I'm not sure why it's having an issue with the Soarer's converter. If it comes down to it I'll explore other options, but since I already have this Soarer's converter I'd like to use it if possible.

hellothere

08 Jun 2021, 18:39

[joke] I'm sorry. It won't work in any configuration. [/joke] [serious] So, you must sell this keyboard to me as soon as possible. [/serious]

Return to “Keyboards”