What's your list of beige whales?

HalfSlav

11 Jun 2021, 02:14

I just watched this video: https://youtu.be/Zbkil4kutwI , and now I'm curious. What is your list of beige whale keyboards?

raoulduke-esq

11 Jun 2021, 02:25

Unsaver, F50, F107, M50…. Basically any buckling spring board people want 4-figures for.

Tritian

11 Jun 2021, 03:17

I want an Unsaver with the matching external numpad, however that seems unlikely...
Would settle for an F107 :D

Johnbo

11 Jun 2021, 03:50

Definitely a Model F XT for me. The layout is too small for me to use for anything except occasional novelty use, but it's still a cool keyboard and an important part of IBM's history. I wouldn't use it enough to justify its current going rate, but if I ever manage to find one for a sweet deal I'd love to have one.

thefarside

11 Jun 2021, 04:38

I’d like to acquire a Model F 122 and try beam spring. I’ve also got an eye on the Focus 8000 and 9000 but the prices are too high.

vincent

11 Jun 2021, 06:38

AT for me because I prefer the XT. But not as much as I prefer the F122.

Any Model M

Any non-5251 Beamspring. I really don’t do well with layouts I don’t find practical enough. There was a point in my life when I used a Planck keyboard and Arch Linux, but now I can’t be arsed and just want something that works and is nice. So now I’m using a 5251 on a Mac.

an_achronism

11 Jun 2021, 07:23

vincent wrote:
There was a point in my life when I used a Planck keyboard and Arch Linux, but now I can’t be arsed and just want something that works and is nice. So now I’m using a 5251 on a Mac.
I could relate to this until I realised you were "settling" for a 5251 beam spring keyboard. I'm a mere mortal Model F fanatic unless I become unexpectedly wealthy, I reckon...

Yeah, I'll agree on the F AT. I will probably always prefer an XT and definitely F122 but I fancy having one in the "family".

On the other hand, I would very much like an F107 / Model 400 but I think they probably go for stupid money now. viewtopic.php?f=56&t=25743

vincent

11 Jun 2021, 07:45

an_achronism wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 07:23
vincent wrote:
There was a point in my life when I used a Planck keyboard and Arch Linux, but now I can’t be arsed and just want something that works and is nice. So now I’m using a 5251 on a Mac.
I could relate to this until I realised you were "settling" for a 5251 beam spring keyboard. I'm a mere mortal Model F fanatic unless I become unexpectedly wealthy, I reckon...

Yeah, I'll agree on the F AT. I will probably always prefer an XT and definitely F122 but I fancy having one in the "family".

On the other hand, I would very much like an F107 / Model 400 but I think they probably go for stupid money now. viewtopic.php?f=56&t=25743
Ah, sorry if I came off the wrong way, like, in a humble braggy sort of way. I should’ve clarified that I prefer the 5251 to the other Beamspring models because, although the 5251 is the most common and “cheapest” (relatively) of the Beamsprings in today’s market, it happens to have the most practical layout for me. So, all the other Beamspring models would be those so-called “beige whales” for me.

And huzzah! Another who prefers the XT over the AT. There are dozens of us!

Weezer

11 Jun 2021, 07:49

I think one of these days I might settle on one of those Lisp keyboards.

Bjerrk

11 Jun 2021, 07:53

I don't know that I actually crave any super rare or expensive keyboards. In a sense, the Model M, Model F77, the Cherry G80s and few Alps boards that I have are all I could ask for.
At this point, I mostly just like finding and trying new keyboards, not because they are the best, but because they're cute or interesting. My most recent buys are a Chinese buckling spring Model M knock-off and a Highscreen LCD-286 laptop keyboard.

I'm not much of a keyboard perfectionist, to be honest. I just like the variety of all the different mechanisms :-P

vincent

11 Jun 2021, 07:58

Bjerrk wrote:
I don't know that I actually crave any super rare or expensive keyboards. In a sense, the Model M, Model F77, the Cherry G80s and few Alps boards that I have are all I could ask for.
At this point, I mostly just like finding and trying new keyboards, not because they are the best, but because they're cute or interesting. My most recent buys are a Chinese buckling spring Model M knock-off and a Highscreen LCD-286 laptop keyboard.

I'm not much of a keyboard perfectionist, to be honest. I just like the variety of all the different mechanisms :-P
This is the mark of a true enthusiast.

an_achronism

11 Jun 2021, 08:05

vincent wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 07:45
Ah, sorry if I came off the wrong way, like, in a humble braggy sort of way.
(...)
And huzzah! Another who prefers the XT over the AT. There are dozens of us!
Hahah no need to apologise, I understood! But I'm still jealous... ;)
Bjerrk wrote:
At this point, I mostly just like finding and trying new keyboards, not because they are the best, but because they're cute or interesting.
(...)
I just like the variety of all the different mechanisms :-P
Aye, absolutely. This is why I currently have over 30 boards lying all over my flat. Whoops.

Go-Kart

11 Jun 2021, 09:01

Bjerrk wrote:

This.

I am curious about key feel but not curious enough to spend the money that some keyboards command. Although a meet-up allowing me to tickle some caps may change my mind one way or another. Until then, I'd say that Beamers will forever be beige whales to me; unless I stumble across one in a recycling centre or there is a particularly generous DT member out there :roll:

raoulduke-esq

11 Jun 2021, 18:17

The price itself for my whales is not so big a big factor as the juice:squeeze ratio.

Yes, board X has a slightly different case/layout/color that is less common than board Y but they both share the same switch so the feeling during use will be largely the same. X is $2k and Y is $200.

That’s what keeps me away from some of the F variants or Alps reproductions of Symbolics boards or even blue Alps over white. The additional price over the more common variant does not deliver an equivalent amount of difference in feel or experience while using.

I felt the price juice:squeeze ratio for a beamspring was sufficient because it’s a very different experience from other keyboards.

Yasu0

11 Jun 2021, 18:20

Under $100... that qualifier maybe needs to be updated for the 2021 keyboard market. Make it $150 or $200.. Lucky enough that I have scored some beige dolphins for reasonable prices. You can't rightly call it a whale after you score one right.

Same for me what raulduke said. When I'm ok typing on a rubber dome or scissor keyboard.. like its fine. Really. Not enjoyable as a mech, but acceptable. When this is the case, yeah a $120 M repro is indeed preferable to me over a $400 F repro. I know not all agree. Everybody has a different juice squeezer, different fruits, different thirst to work with.

skorpionrazor

12 Jun 2021, 10:56

I'd say IBM M2 (buckling springs) and I know they are common for electrical failures but I'd like to try one of those.

hellothere

12 Jun 2021, 19:03

The beige whale that I actually now possess is a BTC 5100c compact keyboard with the dome/slider. I've wanted to try a BTC with dome/slider for a while and I found this one for $40ish, shipped. I'm happy to have bought it, but I'll never use it. I have other KBs that are much nicer. I'll eventually sell it.

Other beige whales include any Alps keyboard that has any color other than white/beige, including transparent. I'm not actively looking for one, but if I find one for around that $100 mark the video mentions or maybe the $150 mark that Yasu0 mentions, I'll get it.

My white whale is still an Alps plate spring keyboard.

micmil

13 Jun 2021, 03:42

HalfSlav wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 02:14
What is your list of beige whale keyboards?
Topre Realforce. Maybe less beige and more off-white. I managed to get a good deal on a Type Heaven recently and that, combined with the Abko (Niz Plum Topralikes) I have, has brought me to the conclusion that Topre's definitely my thing for day to day use. That one is a loooooooong time away though, if ever.

Outside of that, I'm basically at a stopping point. I'm not chasing anything but there are a few things I'd jump on if they popped up at the right price. A super clean Acer switch board in an ANSI layout, maybe an Ergoforce, anything Alps that isn't black (although given my opinion of the black Alps board I have, even after linearizing them, maybe not).
hellothere wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 19:03
The beige whale that I actually now possess is a BTC 5100c compact keyboard with the dome/slider. I've wanted to try a BTC with dome/slider for a while and I found this one for $40ish, shipped. I'm happy to have bought it, but I'll never use it. I have other KBs that are much nicer. I'll eventually sell it.
I would very much recommend exchanging it for a BTC/Packard Bell 5130 before you bail on BTC dome with slider. The domes are quite different, believe it or not. The 5130 is much snappier than the 5100c.
skorpionrazor wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 10:56
I'd say IBM M2 (buckling springs) and I know they are common for electrical failures but I'd like to try one of those.
If you've tried a Model 1... it's that but cheaper in every possible way. Tha_Pig was kind enough to send me one in need of a few keys. This was right as the price of the M2's went through the frickin' roof, so I'm on the lookout for a donor.

The electrical failures are the same thing that's common among all electronics from 20+ years ago... the caps go bad. Pull them, replace them. Simple fix. If you find one for a reasonable price it's worth a go, but as far as I'm concerned anything over about $75 in pristine condition is a ripoff. They're not worth that kind of money.

raoulduke-esq

13 Jun 2021, 04:16

Judging by the kinds of things people are listing “beige” refers to the price point rather than the color of the case… and I should have watched the whole 15 mins of the guy talking?

mode1ace

13 Jun 2021, 07:55

A UK ISO IBM 5140 module.

I don't even really care about the skcm browns, I have them in a videowriter and I prefer oranges. I just want the chassis and keycaps so I can map the matrix and convert it.

Tribal

13 Jun 2021, 15:22

tl;dw: “beige whale” is something you’d be interested in, but wouldn’t be willing to spend much time/effort/money on. A friend comes up to you and says he’ll sell you his SSK for $75. That’s a beige whale.

For me, it’s a gently-used F77 in gray or beige. I want one, but I don’t want to send my money to support China’s economy and my AT is fine. Maybe also a Tandy Enhanced Keyboard (with TL1000 computer with optional second 3.5 floppy drive) since I had one growing up. And, of course, a beam spring.

fohat
Elder Messenger

13 Jun 2021, 15:53

Tribal wrote:

something you’d be interested in, but wouldn’t be willing to spend much time/effort/money on
Having read Melville's Moby Dick and assuming that "beige whale" is a riff on the "white whale" in that book, I would assume that it is an all-consuming quest that becomes the sole obsession in your life.

It is worth sacrificing the lives of yourself and everyone around you, and it may or may not actually be obtainable.

Bjerrk

13 Jun 2021, 16:10

fohat wrote:
Tribal wrote:

something you’d be interested in, but wouldn’t be willing to spend much time/effort/money on
Having read Melville's Moby Dick and assuming that "beige whale" is a riff on the "white whale" in that book, I would assume that it is an all-consuming quest that becomes the sole obsession in your life.

It is worth sacrificing the lives of yourself and everyone around you, and it may or may not actually be obtainable.
No no, don't you recall on page 10, where Captain Ahab says to Ishmael: "All this Whale stuff, it really isn't that important. If someone came up and offered me the Whale for 75$ I might take it. But, whatevz. Later, dude. "

Tribal

13 Jun 2021, 16:48

Bjerrk wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 16:10
fohat wrote:
Tribal wrote:

No no, don't you recall on page 10, where Captain Ahab says to Ishmael: "All this Whale stuff, it really isn't that important. If someone came up and offered me the Whale for 75$ I might take it. But, whatevz. Later, dude. "
So...you didn’t watch the video in the original post? I also originally thought that a “beige whale” was an 80s tech riff on Moby Dick, but the definition given in the video specifically contrasts it with a “white whale.” Space Cadet is a potential white whale; an F XT is a great example of a beige whale.

Bjerrk

13 Jun 2021, 17:01

I think you may have quoted the wrong person. But, to quote Captain Ahab: whatevz. Later, dude
:P

an_achronism

13 Jun 2021, 17:02

Tribal wrote:
So...you didn’t watch the video in the original post? I also originally thought that a “beige whale” was an 80s tech riff on Moby Dick, but the definition given in the video specifically contrasts it with a “white whale.” Space Cadet is a potential white whale; an F XT is a great example of a beige whale.
Yeah I don't think the term is intuitive at all because specifically loads of vintage electronics were beige so it just sounds like you're saying "white whale" but alluding to the fact you're talking about vintage tech. So it only makes any sense if you watch that video and have it explained to you. But even then, the use of the word "beige" seems inappropriately nebulous.

fohat
Elder Messenger

13 Jun 2021, 17:19

Tribal wrote:

So...you didn’t watch the video in the original post?
Not when I saw that it was 17 minutes long and sampled a couple of spots in the middle. Sorry

hellothere

13 Jun 2021, 18:44

an_achronism wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 17:02
Tribal wrote:
Yeah I don't think the term is intuitive at all because specifically loads of vintage electronics were beige so it just sounds like you're saying "white whale" but alluding to the fact you're talking about vintage tech. So it only makes any sense if you watch that video and have it explained to you. But even then, the use of the word "beige" seems inappropriately nebulous.
I did watch the video, up until the point where the guy was listing video and camera equipment as his "beige whales."

My understanding of the video was along the lines of, "Something that you're not really going out of the way to look for, but if you happen to find one at the right price, you'd buy it."

Before I watched the video, I also thought that "beige whale" referred to vintage electronics.

Bjerrk

13 Jun 2021, 18:45

hellothere wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 18:44
My understanding of the video was along the lines of, "Something that you're not really going out of the way to look for, but if you happen to find one at the right price, you'd buy it."
In that case, keyboards are my beige whales.

raoulduke-esq

13 Jun 2021, 18:47

fohat wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 17:19
Tribal wrote:

So...you didn’t watch the video in the original post?
Not when I saw that it was 17 minutes long and sampled a couple of spots in the middle. Sorry
Honestly same.

My list can stay the same with the tl;dw definition though as I’ll choose my child’s college fund over another F just in a different format every time. Now you wanna move one for 3 figures I’m down!

Return to “Keyboards”