Hexadecimal Keyboard Project

Dataman19

16 Jun 2021, 02:32

First of all: I would like to say hi to everyone.
I am new here and want everyone to know that I use a Chinese/Verizon ASUS pad. That said.. The Chinese programmed spelling and context editor seems to have a mind of its own. ( ie: it tries to guess what I am typing and automatically inserts what "It" thinks should be there. For example" I type Anniston, Alabama" keyboard puts: "Anniston and alsbama"). So, please bear with me. Every time I do any postng I have to constantly go back and edit.
I am looking to build a Hexadecimal entry key pad. This is similar to the original IBM Numeric Key pad on early PS2 QWERTY keyboards.
I am not happy with the keypads I find on the market,so I am trying to build my own.
My layout will use a 74C33 Decoder.
Keys will be 4wide x 5high
Top Row: A. B. C. D
Next Row: 7, 8, 9, E
Next Row: 4. 5, 6, F
Next Row: 1, 2. 3, top of ENTER key
Bottom Row: 0, RST, Load, Bottom of ENTER key
I know this is not the default standard - but it is My sandbox, and this is what I want.,,
My question is where to find Key Caps and matching DPST keys ( both momentary and push on/push off)
I can find Keyboard Key switches on Mouser or Allied but where and what key caps match the keys is an other story
My project is to upgrade my ancient 8-Bit Data, 16-But Address Analog Console that I use for my AI/Robotics projects.
I already have LED Hexadecimal Displays installed to instantly verify that the BCD switches are configured and the correct hex codes verify the setting before I load the code.
Now I want to add Hexadecimal keypads so I can also code by Hex Entry.
There you have it.
Yes
I am old school and stated my Data adventure in the old IBM/VAX Unix era.
And, Yes I do machine language coding as well.
I have two consoles:
One is 8-Bit Data with 16-Bit A dress
The other is 16-Bit Data and 32-Bit Address..
Both consoles have a Run/Program switch, a RESET switch, a LOAD Sweitch, a PAUSE switch and a STEP switch. These allow me to step through a program line by line, I can also edit line by line, or selective lines if needed.
Yes I know there are editor Assemblers - I have a lot of these as well.
But, the ability to step line by line is often valuable and handy,
And yes - I also do component level board repair as well and encryption hacking - a whole different subject.
So..
Any inputs on where I can get key switches and key caps? Ones that match?

kps

16 Jun 2021, 19:09

You should probably look for keycaps first, so that you can be sure to get compatible switches, but almost certainly you will find ‘Cherry MX compatible’ for both.

The easiest, and probably also cheapest, route for you would be to get a full regular keyboard keycap set (search any major online vendor) and simply not use most of them. The only thing you want to watch out for is that you get a set where all they keycaps are the same shape, so that your unusual positions don't cause irregularity. If you find a set you like the look of but are in doubt about the shape, people here can help you confirm.

Then people here can suggest compatible switches according to your taste in key feel.

Mazian

17 Jun 2021, 02:49

Sounds like a neat project.

Another option for the keycaps, if you're interested in very specific combinations of color and shape, is looking at vendors that sell both conventional numpad sets and individual, customizable keycaps, such as WASD or PMK. This may be one of the few ways to get labeled RST and LOAD keys, though you'll pay for the privilege. Blank keys, or reusing "R" and "L" keys from a standard full-keyboard set, would perhaps save money.

Return to “Keyboards”