Anykey Programmability?

Go-Kart

21 Jun 2021, 22:07

When talking to another Anykey owner here on DT, we were both remarking on how we regard the Anykey as the standard for ease of programming. In fact, we were in agreement that the functionality is so head and shoulders above everything else we were familiar with that it is perplexing why no other companies have such an offering. Sure, programming a macro on my FK-9200 is easy enough but there's a twelve character limit and I can only program the PF keys!

The Gateway 2000 Anykey features simple, hardware programmability. Any key can be remapped. Any key can be assigned a seemingly limitless macro string. Has there ever been another keyboard that featured this level of hardware programmability? Does anyone have a decent understanding of the Anykey's circuitry to wager that this functionality would be able to be copied or even transplanted into another board?

Obviously software programming is definitely a thing but, depending on how dynamic a use case, hardware programming on the fly is the only option. Hardware programmable Teensy firmware? Sign me up! Does it exist?
PXL_20210517_084959020.jpg
PXL_20210517_084959020.jpg (4.23 MiB) Viewed 1105 times

raoulduke-esq

21 Jun 2021, 22:11

Go-Kart

22 Jun 2021, 06:33

Not bad!

raoulduke-esq

22 Jun 2021, 07:03

I don’t know if the Anykey settings persist, but QMK ones are ephemeral so they will be lost after you unplug the board or turn off the computer.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

22 Jun 2021, 08:23

Go-Kart wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 22:07
[…] features simple, hardware programmability. Any key can be remapped. Any key can be assigned a seemingly limitless macro string. Has there ever been another keyboard that featured this level of hardware programmability? […]
Yes. Off-the-shelf Tipro keyboards :mrgreen:

Go-Kart

22 Jun 2021, 21:59

raoulduke-esq wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 07:03
I don’t know if the Anykey settings persist, but QMK ones are ephemeral so they will be lost after you unplug the board or turn off the computer.
Not ideal but still pretty cool to know that that exists. Anykey remapping is persistent. I'd just use Auto Hotkey if it was down to me. However, I'm constantly hopping between computers in my office. Desktops, laptops and then a few personal computers at home too. The amount of passwords and macros I need for work isn't expansive, or essential, but obviously it improves my workflow to a noticeable degree. My manager is already onboard with getting everyone on my team macro pads but the Anykey functionality is just top-shelf and it perplexes me that it didn't catch on.
kbdfr wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 08:23
Yes. Off-the-shelf Tipro keyboards :mrgreen:
I did not know! Another great reason for me to choose Tipro when I finally decide to try out ortholinear.

Return to “Keyboards”