Closest non buckling spring buckling spring alternative?

paperWasp

29 Jun 2021, 21:10

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed here.

I know there are Unicomp or New model F keyboards.
There is a great guide on MechanicalKeyboards.com but it doesn't contain charts like the attached one.

So what's the closest non buckling spring buckling spring alternative? I mean in tactility. The sound may be different.
Rubber dome? :oops: There is a mechanical alternative with a similar tactile bump, isn't it?

Thanks!
Attachments
mmchartm.png
mmchartm.png (53.74 KiB) Viewed 4874 times

Bitteneite

29 Jun 2021, 22:32

I'm sure there are switches that replicate the gradual tactility of buckling springs, but I doubt they're common.
As far as common boards, I think I heard some people bring up the Fujitsu FKB4700. Can someone confirm or am I mistaking it for another board?
I've heard mixed feelings about them, but I personally never tried it.
I'm actually curious myself on how similar they are. Is there a force curve about them anywhere?

Karmel

30 Jun 2021, 05:29

Bitteneite wrote:
As far as common boards, I think I heard some people bring up the Fujitsu FKB4700. Can someone confirm or am I mistaking it for another board?
Fujitsu peerless is known to feel somewhat like buckling springs but less tactile and more scratchy. I would say it's not the best alternative, though they are super common and cost very little. The keyboards are also made very similarly to IBM's.

Bjerrk

30 Jun 2021, 08:05

paperWasp wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 21:10
Sorry if this topic has already been discussed here.

Every keypress is an emotional rollercoaster. From depression to hysteresis and back again, it's a make or break world.

Go-Kart

30 Jun 2021, 14:04

Karmel wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 05:29
Bitteneite wrote:
Fujitsu peerless is known to feel somewhat like buckling springs but less tactile and more scratchy. I would say it's not the best alternative, though they are super common and cost very little. The keyboards are also made very similarly to IBM's.
Having now acquired a Fujitsu Peerless board, I can say that the switches don't resemble Buckling Springs in my experience. My Epson is well built but that's almost the only good thing I could say about it. The switches let the whole package down.

Bitteneite

30 Jun 2021, 15:37

Bjerrk wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 08:05
Every keypress is an emotional rollercoaster. From depression to hysteresis and back again, it's a make or break world.
Beautiful.
Go-Kart wrote:
I can say that the switches don't resemble Buckling Springs in my experience.
Is there a force curve anywhere or a switch that feels similar to them?

Go-Kart

30 Jun 2021, 18:34

Bitteneite wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 15:37
Go-Kart wrote:
I can say that the switches don't resemble Buckling Springs in my experience.
Is there a force curve anywhere or a switch that feels similar to them?
I don't believe I've seen a force curve for Fujitsu Peerless. They feel odd. The initial travel is pleasantly weighted. At this stage, only the spring is bring compressed. However, the force builds as the sock begins to depress the dome beneath; it then feels too stiff, in my opinion. Mushy, stiff bottom out. I've tried to type in a relaxed manner on my Epson but the force required to activate the switches inevitably leads to bottoming out, in my experience.

paperWasp

01 Jul 2021, 14:20

Thanks for the replies.
To sum up, if you want buckling spring feel, you need a buckling spring keyboard. Take it or leave it - if you want to quiet it a bit, use the known dental floss solution.

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Jul 2021, 14:26

paperWasp wrote:

To sum up, if you want buckling spring feel, you need a buckling spring keyboard.
True that.

Karmel

01 Jul 2021, 14:47

paperWasp wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
To sum up, if you want buckling spring feel, you need a buckling spring keyboard. Take it or leave it - if you want to quiet it a bit, use the known dental floss solution.
Actually a floss mod doesn't really quiet it down that much, it just removes the ping. You could grease the springs but then then the keyfeel gets way worse.

micmil

03 Jul 2021, 01:47

Weird as hell but the closest to IBM buckling springs I've found are Box Jades. There's a short ramp up, a distinct clack, and then some extraneous throw after. It's really that heavy click that makes them feel similar under my fingers. Then again I type like a pissed off monkey so grain of salt it up.

an_achronism

03 Jul 2021, 02:05

micmil wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 01:47
Weird as hell but the closest to IBM buckling springs I've found are Box Jades. There's a short ramp up, a distinct clack, and then some extraneous throw after. It's really that heavy click that makes them feel similar under my fingers. Then again I type like a pissed off monkey so grain of salt it up.
I thought I'd already replied but I'd counter this with BOX Pink or Noble Yellow instead.

Jade has this weird small latency on the way back up because the spring is too light for the bar, which isn't a problem with Pink or NY. Pinks are a bit odd compared to the rest of the family because the return click is slightly less pronounced, which seems to be because the bar is angled differently (intentionally). You don't get that with Noble Yellows and they have same spring weight. Otherwise, they're basically identical.

I don't think any of them are quite as tactile (or indeed as satisfying) as actual buckling spring, and the force curve isn't very similar because they're more or less "linear then click bar then linear", so bear that in mind, but there is a certain amount of similarity and they're the only ones I've tried that have even the slightest resemblance imo.

Wazrach

03 Jul 2021, 09:42

I found BOX Navy to be the most satisfying of them all. The Noble Yellows had a nicer weighting, but the thinner click almost makes the switch like a toy compared to Navy.

an_achronism

03 Jul 2021, 13:59

Wazrach wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 09:42
I found BOX Navy to be the most satisfying of them all. The Noble Yellows had a nicer weighting, but the thinner click almost makes the switch like a toy compared to Navy.
Navy is no contest most satisfying but they're way heavier than even a Model M which makes them undesirable to me. I feel like they're a space bar switch, not a whole board switch.

Hak Foo

03 Jul 2021, 19:11

I found Box Navy fatiguing due to the heaviness and intense tactility. The lighter Box Pale Blue is also worth considering- the tactility might be a bit less than BS though.

CallmeJohn

03 Jul 2021, 19:36

Fujitsu leaf spring 3rd gen clicky is pretty similar comparing them. It has that same linear -> tactile bump -> linear key feel. Tactility is not as pronounced and but is lighter than a model m.

hellothere

04 Jul 2021, 00:42

Karmel wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 14:47
paperWasp wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
Actually a floss mod doesn't really quiet it down that much, it just removes the ping. You could grease the springs but then then the keyfeel gets way worse.
There was the IBM Quiet Touch or Soft Touch or something like l that that did use grease in the springs to make them quieter. And I'm not thinking of the rubber dome version :D.

I'll add another vote for Box Jade for just about Model M. I have a Navy for the space bar, which sounds beyond excellent. The Box Pink are too light and the Box Navy is too heavy. I'd be interested in trying the Noble Yellow. I also think I need a really nice MX case, too.

micmil

04 Jul 2021, 21:06

an_achronism wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 02:05
Jade has this weird small latency on the way back up because the spring is too light for the bar, which isn't a problem with Pink or NY.
I don't type anywhere near fast enough to notice the latency of return springs. :lol:

an_achronism

04 Jul 2021, 21:34

micmil wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 21:06
I don't type anywhere near fast enough to notice the latency of return springs. :lol:
On the contrary, it's more noticeable if typing slower. It's extremely subtle when typing fast, to the point where it probably doesn't really matter. But it's one of those "cannot unsee" kinda things: I've noticed it now, so it bothers me hahah.

Return to “Keyboards”