Teardown - 3D-printed magnetic levitation "Void" switches!

Chyros

12 Jul 2021, 22:27

This is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen. Someone 3D-printed magnetic levitation switches with adjustable tactility and travel. Also, it's analog-Hall effect. And hot-swappable. And it's contactless. Jeez! The creator is called Riskable and he called them Void switches and I'm DEFINITELY keeping an eye on this project!

Go-Kart

13 Jul 2021, 09:37

Yeh dude, this is sick. Looking forward to seeing the next step.

Bjerrk

13 Jul 2021, 12:09

Absolutely lovely! Thanks, Chyros and Riskable!

ifohancroft

13 Jul 2021, 15:52

That's absolutely awesome! I frickin love the idea.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Jul 2021, 16:39

Already done by Datahand 26 years ago.

Chyros

13 Jul 2021, 17:59

webwit wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 16:39
Already done by Datahand 26 years ago.
Really? xD I thought they were just microswitches!

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Jul 2021, 20:02

They tried microswitches but these still took too much force to press for the finger wriggling method, so they hired a magnets guy and invented their own method.

You see the magnets on the stems here (the downward keys use a slightly different method but same principle).

The key stem is south of the screwdriver, the other magnet north of it. Here the method is that with an unpressed key, the magnets are connected, and pressing the key south separates the magnets.

It doesn't use hall-effect. To the west and east of the screwdriver there's an optical sensor, like you see in old ball mice. So pressing the keycap south will trigger the optical sensor at some point and registers a key press. If I remember correctly it takes 10 to 15 cN to actuate.

Lanrefni

14 Jul 2021, 05:28

Datahand-For when you really really don't want other people to be able to use your computer.

Return to “Keyboards”