Common Space invader/alps boards for harvesting

SaintMartin

14 Jul 2021, 13:27

Hello!

I have seen chyrosan22's videos about the space invader switches and I got really curious about theses switches. As I live in germany it's hard to find anything not-cherry related that isn't absolutely bloated in price (G80-1000s are being sold for over 200€).

Is there any common boards for space invaders? I'm specifically looking for linear ones because of the sound of them but honestly I'll be fine with any type of feedback. I'll be trying my luck on the flee while I'm still on vacation too, any common remarks I should look at while searching for space invaders? Like labels?
I know that they were in Hi-tek, Icl and Nmb boards?

Also, are old apple boards like the aek the best for keycaps and alps harvesting? They seem to be sold for okay prices.

Thanks, and have a great day!

TNT

14 Jul 2021, 13:53

Just about a month ago, there was a "GB", where inozenz, another german user, discovered an offer for a load of NOS Space Invader boards. So the marketplace and sites like eBay etc. should be absolutely bloated with si boards in some time. Loads of black clickies (the majority of them in QWERTZ), but those can be linearized. Some users already got theirs, maybe ask around in WTB? I will pick mine up at July 31st, so if you're still interested then just hit me up.
SaintMartin wrote:

Also, are old apple boards like the aek the best for keycaps and alps harvesting? They seem to be sold for okay prices.

Depends on what kind of Alps you're looking for. Are you building a custom build? Whites should be not too hard to find, those old Apple boards mostly have tactile ones afaik. Best for you to check the wiki, I guess :)

Bjerrk

14 Jul 2021, 14:23

TNT wrote:
Just about a month ago, there was a "GB", where inozenz, another german user, discovered an offer for a load of NOS Space Invader boards.
Just to be really annoying, but I believe that honour goes to Shorle :P
Shorle wrote:
13 May 2021, 15:33
There is this Dude in Southern Germany (Mömlingen, Bavaria) that is looking to sell 5000 pieces of New Old Stock AZERTY Keyboards with quality looking keycaps.
(Just a note, by the way: It turned out the guy had either miscounted or is holding back some of the stock, so it ended up being more like 2400 keyboards. Still enough to type a sentence or two I suppose.)

hellothere

14 Jul 2021, 18:30

TNT wrote:
SaintMartin wrote:

Depends on what kind of Alps you're looking for. Are you building a custom build? Whites should be not too hard to find, those old Apple boards mostly have tactile ones afaik. Best for you to check the wiki, I guess :)
Couple FWIW:

* The most common Apple keyboard you're going to find is the Apple Extended Keyboard II (AEK II). The switches you'll usually find will be Alps cream damped or Alps white damped. Rarely, you'll find salmon Alps or Mitsumi Mechanical (not "miniature mechanical").
* There's really no reason to part out any AEK II. If you make/buy an Apple Desktop Bus (ADB; think Apple's version of the PS/2 port) to USB converter, the Command/Apple key automagically becomes the Windows key. Additionally, both the AEK or AEK II are in pretty decent cases and the key caps, other than the space bar, are dye-sublimed PBT.

Of course, if you're making a custom, just ignore me :D.

inozenz

15 Jul 2021, 09:04

Bjerrk wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 14:23
TNT wrote:
Just about a month ago, there was a "GB", where inozenz, another german user, discovered an offer for a load of NOS Space Invader boards.
Just to be really annoying, but I believe that honour goes to Shorle :P
Yep it was Shorle who found the boards first. I am just a humble dude, who happens to have some space and time on his hands 😊

There will be a round 2, so keep track. It will be worth it!

Return to “Keyboards”