My Model M Restoration Megaguide

Bitteneite

21 Jul 2021, 21:44

Greetings!

I've recently compiled all my pictures and tips into one big "Model M Restoration" guide for all the experts & beginners out there.

I'm certain bolt/screw-modding is childs play to most people around here, but I thought I could share this to the few people who need a detailed guide with pictures and whatnot. I tried to include as many useful tips as possible, ones that I wish I knew when starting out.

Here's the link! :D

If you guys have a tip/advise you wish you knew when starting out, feel free leave it down below ;)
I can keep on adding more pics and texts to the guide :D

Open to feedback & suggestions :)

Heisenberg122

22 Jul 2021, 20:24

With flawless and high detailed photos and videos, clear and easy-to-understand texts, well organized and easy to follow steps... A perfect guide to me. Good job!

andreas

22 Jul 2021, 21:21

Very comprehensive – great work.
Thank you.

Go-Kart

22 Jul 2021, 22:24

Brilliant. I have yet to bolt mod my M. I dismantled it, gave it a good scrub ...and then purchased a fully restored M122 and left my Model M in pieces! I will certainly use this guide. Thanks for the hard work.

Bitteneite

23 Jul 2021, 03:48

Heisenberg122 wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 20:24
With flawless and high detailed photos and videos, clear and easy-to-understand texts, well organized and easy to follow steps... A perfect guide to me. Good job!
andreas wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 21:21
Very comprehensive – great work.
Thank you.
Thanks a lot! Motivates me to work even more on it :D
Go-Kart wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 22:24
Brilliant. I have yet to bolt mod my M. I dismantled it, gave it a good scrub ...and then purchased a fully restored M122 and left my Model M in pieces! I will certainly use this guide. Thanks for the hard work.
Awesome! Glad to see the guide being put to good use.
Feel free to post your restoration pics here as well. Best of luck!

hellothere

23 Jul 2021, 20:05

Thanks. A lot of folks don't seem to understand what a "beginner's guide" is. I need this kind of thing!

JP!

29 Jul 2021, 17:58

Since this is a very detailed and comprehensive Model M restoration guide I just wanted to suggest adding an additional technique which has not been been commonly used, the the "Model M Threaded Insert Mod" - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22822

I personally think using threaded inserts is an elegant solution but it requires additional work and tools. I would like to experiment with this technique and maybe invest in some tools to make installing these threaded inserts easier and more efficient.

an_achronism

29 Jul 2021, 18:22

JP! wrote:
Since this is a very detailed and comprehensive Model M restoration guide I just wanted to suggest adding an additional technique which has not been been commonly used, the the "Model M Threaded Insert Mod" - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22822

I personally think using threaded inserts is an elegant solution but it requires additional work and tools. I would like to experiment with this technique and maybe invest in some tools to make installing these threaded inserts easier and more efficient.
I was a tad baffled by how this worked without the hole being messily filled in with plastic until I realised they were putting a long screw in the insert from the other side before melting it into place, and now it seems like a really good solution in general and also for a very specific scenario: reassembling a previously bolt modded / screw modded M for the second/third/fourth time and beyond. I have a barrel plate in slightly questionable shape after being screw modded by one of its previous owners, and I suspect I'll probably try this on it.

JP!

29 Jul 2021, 20:55

an_achronism wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 18:22
I was a tad baffled by how this worked without the hole being messily filled in with plastic until I realised they were putting a long screw in the insert from the other side before melting it into place, and now it seems like a really good solution in general and also for a very specific scenario: reassembling a previously bolt modded / screw modded M for the second/third/fourth time and beyond. I have a barrel plate in slightly questionable shape after being screw modded by one of its previous owners, and I suspect I'll probably try this on it.
Yes, The ability to reassemble a Model M many times over would probably be the only benefit. I also think it would look pretty neat, not that anyone will see the inside of a keyboard. I have a couple cracked barrel plates which I can use for testing. I am thinking that a heat set press and custom solder tip designed for these inserts would be ideal for this sort of work.
Edit: Also I what to build the most over-engineered Model M including but not limited to the following:
-Fresh membrane from Unicomp
-Custom painted/powdercoated metal plate
-Heat set inserts
-Torx bolts over phillips-head + washers
-blue medium strength thread-locker applied to all bolts
-Precision tightened bolts tuned like a Stradivarius (not sure what the ideal tightening pattern should be).
-Replacement bluetooth controller (expensive) so only nice to have.

Am I missing anything else?

Bitteneite

30 Jul 2021, 04:34

JP! wrote:

Interesting. Never tried it, but I'm intrigued now! Will definitely be useful for plates with numerous disassembles.
JP! wrote:
(not sure what the ideal tightening pattern should be).
I have this picture for the first couple screws. The rest probably won't matter since you'll individually tune them later on.
Again, it's just the pattern that worked best for me, not official or anything.

I just find it convenient to get the important screws in first so that we can't dislodge the springs out.

(And perhaps test the keycaps early on before you realize you placed a spring in the wrong barrel. You start wondering what went wrong in life. Why didn't I double-check the springs? Do I really have to undo every bolt/screw? Agh screw it! I'll just use a split keycap and act like it's part of the "charm" when, in reality, it's just an accident. Not every keyboard is perfect, and thus, I can Bob Ross my way with it and try to see the benefits of this new layout I just made. Hey, look! At least I now have a spare stabilizer insert for future Model M restorations!)
JP! wrote:
Edit: Also I what to build the most over-engineered Model M including but not limited to the following:
-Fresh membrane from Unicomp
-Custom painted/powdercoated metal plate
-Heat set inserts
-Torx bolts over phillips-head + washers
-blue medium strength thread-locker applied to all bolts
-Precision tightened bolts tuned like a Stradivarius (not sure what the ideal tightening pattern should be).
-Replacement bluetooth controller (expensive) so only nice to have.

Am I missing anything else?
Overengineered? Yes, but you're still forgetting one thing: Solenoids. :D
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25931
Seems like the original maker of it shared the PCB files and Firmware here. ;)

Return to “Keyboards”