What happens when your "White Whale" disappoints?

Lucid

21 Sep 2021, 19:58

kbdfr wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 16:11
Lucid wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 02:18
[…] The ideal keyboard would include:
-at least 115 keys
-Alps compatible (preferably salmon or black) or Topre compatible (so I can stick BKE redux domes in it)
-Built in full programmability and key remapping (or programmability using a GUI based program such as Via or Vial)
-metal mounting plate (metal back/bottom plate would be a plus)
-somewhat standard ANSI layout with the extra keys above the F row and/or the left side XT style

Closest thing that ticks all the boxes is […]
Closest thing is Tipro (MID range) - except for the Alps thing (Cherry MX blacks instead), it has everything in your wish list.
If we're talking MX compatible switches, the realm of possibilities greatly expands. I actually have a few MX compatible boards now that meet most of my criteria except for the switch thing. But the tactility (and even more so the sound) of MX compatible switches just isn't up to par with other types of switches.

Edit: Just wanted to follow up and say that I have no problem with using my MX boards because they really do provide the most in terms of layout, features, and functionality. And they really don't feel that bad. I'm just saying that something with all that + a more desirable switch type would be white wale territory for me.

hellothere

21 Sep 2021, 22:13

If we're talking MX compatible switches, the realm of possibilities greatly expands.
I mention, elsewhere, that I'm looking for the best MX case to put some Kailh Box Jades in. One that's on-par with a Northgate OmniKey: metal bottom case, metal switch mounting plate, screws or bolts holding the thing together rather than snaps, and a thick plastic top case. The one problem is that there doesn't appear to be a case that has all those features AND has a standard Cherry MX bottom row. Although, I will check to see if Tipro does have something like that. It otherwise looks like it'd have to be an old WYSE terminal case and those are a bit pricey because they have vintage Cherry MX Blacks ... although I could probably sell those separately.

Lucid

21 Sep 2021, 22:50

hellothere wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 22:13
If we're talking MX compatible switches, the realm of possibilities greatly expands.
I mention, elsewhere, that I'm looking for the best MX case to put some Kailh Box Jades in. One that's on-par with a Northgate OmniKey: metal bottom case, metal switch mounting plate, screws or bolts holding the thing together rather than snaps, and a thick plastic top case. The one problem is that there doesn't appear to be a case that has all those features AND has a standard Cherry MX bottom row. Although, I will check to see if Tipro does have something like that. It otherwise looks like it'd have to be an old WYSE terminal case and those are a bit pricey because they have vintage Cherry MX Blacks ... although I could probably sell those separately.
I'm sure what what pricey is to you, but there is the iKBC MF108? MX compatible standard 108 layout with a steel mounting plate and full CNC aluminum case. Not exactly cheap, but better than the $400-$600 custom boards that use similar materials.

hellothere

24 Sep 2021, 05:04

Lucid wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 22:50
I'm sure what what pricey is to you, but there is the iKBC MF108? MX compatible standard 108 layout with a steel mounting plate and full CNC aluminum case. Not exactly cheap, but better than the $400-$600 custom boards that use similar materials.
Well, there is a sale one for around $100.

I'm just not sure that a small case would sound as big and as boomy as the much larger case of an OmniKey or even a Dell bigfoot. It's definitely something to consider, though. 5.5 pounds. That's about equivalent to a Model M.

engr

18 Jul 2023, 05:49

My grail used to be Omnikey 102 with gold badge and blue Alps. Well, I finally got one in good shape, did a bit of cleaning and retrobrighting and....
Everything about this keyboard is great... except for the location of Ctrl/Alt/CapsLock. After weeks of use, I still couldn't get used to it, and unlike other Omnikeys, it cannot be changed with a switch. It's one of the most (if not the most) beautiful and best-sounding keyboards in my collection, yet I haven't typed on it in over a year. I can't bring myself to sell it or to modify the layout by mutilating the PCB. Sad.

AndyJ

19 Jul 2023, 03:28

You know you can swap those keys around with software, right? The hard way with xmodmap or xkb, easy with KDE. I think you can do it in Windows, too.

engr

19 Jul 2023, 05:15

AndyJ wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 03:28
You know you can swap those keys around with software, right? The hard way with xmodmap or xkb, easy with KDE. I think you can do it in Windows, too.
That's the other part of the problem... I share my keyboards between my home desktop, personal laptop (in a dock), and work laptop (in a dock) using a KVM switch. Work laptop also gets used outside of the dock or in a different dock with a different keyboard (in the office), and so on. Not to mention I often rotate keyboards in my collection. Trying to keep track on which keyboard I am using today on which computer and change settings accordingly would be more pain that it's worth.

Return to “Keyboards”