Which are the best alps clicky switches?

TNT

08 Sep 2021, 13:23

While Matias don't feel too shabby, I've heard many people complaining about reliability issues with their switches. Keys not registering or registering multiple times after medium use. Kept me from putting them in a board.

didja

09 Sep 2021, 02:33

ALPS vary a lot from one board to another and they seem to be more sensitive to environmental conditions than cherries are.
If you get them right, they're a dream and no one will ever pry my favorite Northgate Omnikey Ultra from my collection. (They're white alps btw)
I've had many blues that were amazing and also blues that weren't. The same can be said for whites, pinks, etc. If it was stored in a humid hot garage for 30 years it's not going to type well. Also, Northgate Bob (bless his heart) had the tendency to clean them and bag them up before they were dry and that had some adverse effects on some I saw. But once you type on them for a while they loosen right up. That is the case with most ALPS.

Some of the rubber bumper variants found in a few Apple keyboards can be fun, though the indexing nubs are on the wrong fingers so that's weird. The blue ALPS from those leading edge dc-2014 terminal boards are pretty consistent in being very good, so I suspect it's the case with their AT compatibles.

If I wanted a be-all-end-all ALPS keyboard it would have to be a Northgate but it's hard to find them in great condition that people will let go of. A leading edge AT compatible would be another great option.

Return to “Keyboards”