Which are the best alps clicky switches?

clickandthock

07 Aug 2021, 17:59

Which are the best alps clicky switches? And which keyboard have it?

Bjerrk

07 Aug 2021, 19:04

The most common answer is probably Blue Alps. I like White Alps as well, but the blues feel more refined (IMO).
Read about them and the keyboards they come in on the wiki: wiki/Alps_SKCM_Blue

keyboard Kultist

07 Aug 2021, 20:58

clickandthock wrote:
For me nothing beats blue alps in good condition in terms of alps switches. I'm typing this on a blue alps board branded 'computerland' ( I have a history with them :-) )

Funny you should ask this. I've accumulated a somewhat embarrassing number of blue alps boards and am having what I'm calling 'A Blue Alps Summer' every time I
swap a new board in this Summer it's blue alps :-)

hellothere

12 Aug 2021, 01:24

The best blue Alps keyboard is arguably the "gold label" Northgate Omnikey 102. It has a metal bottom plate, a metal key switch mounting plate, and a thick ABS plastic top case.

The answer to which keyboards have blue Alps is ... an awful lot. There's a very short list on the wiki, but it's a really short list. There's an extremely long thread called "Alps Appreciation" that has bunches of pics of blue Alps keyboards.

hellothere

12 Aug 2021, 01:30

BTW, amber Alps is also a clicky switch. These were in some Apple IIc computers. I've never tried them, so I don't know what their volume level is or if they are superior to blue Alps.

Karmel

12 Aug 2021, 04:14

hellothere wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 01:30
BTW, amber Alps is also a clicky switch. These were in some Apple IIc computers. I've never tried them, so I don't know what their volume level is or if they are superior to blue Alps.
They're basically just blue Alps but more tactile, I don't think the sound is changed.

clickandthock

12 Aug 2021, 15:59

Bjerrk wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 19:04
The most common answer is probably Blue Alps. I like White Alps as well, but the blues feel more refined (IMO).
Read about them and the keyboards they come in on the wiki: wiki/Alps_SKCM_Blue
Thanks! :)

clickandthock

12 Aug 2021, 16:24

keyboard Kultist wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 20:58
clickandthock wrote:
For me nothing beats blue alps in good condition in terms of alps switches. I'm typing this on a blue alps board branded 'computerland' ( I have a history with them :-) )

Funny you should ask this. I've accumulated a somewhat embarrassing number of blue alps boards and am having what I'm calling 'A Blue Alps Summer' every time I
swap a new board in this Summer it's blue alps :-)
Always want to try blue alps, hard to find! Is there a way to fit alps switches on a mx type pcb?

Thank you!!

clickandthock

hellothere wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 01:24
The best blue Alps keyboard is arguably the "gold label" Northgate Omnikey 102. It has a metal bottom plate, a metal key switch mounting plate, and a thick ABS plastic top case.

The answer to which keyboards have blue Alps is ... an awful lot. There's a very short list on the wiki, but it's a really short list. There's an extremely long thread called "Alps Appreciation" that has bunches of pics of blue Alps keyboards.
Thanks!!

hellothere

12 Aug 2021, 18:44

clickandthock wrote:
Always want to try blue alps, hard to find! Is there a way to fit alps switches on a mx type pcb?
Not particularly hard to find, but expensive. There are three on ebay US right now. The low is $190+$40 shipping and the high is $250+$30 shipping. I have parts for at least two more blue Alps KBs, myself.

I've seen a couple PCBs that can do both MX or Alps and PCBs that are Alps only. In either case, you can't mix and match MX and Alps at the same time. Alps switches will not fit a standard MX PCB.

Easy_Spinach

12 Aug 2021, 19:05

I say, go with white alps first. It's a really nice switch and close enough to blue alps. You can get them for super cheap and If you enjoy it you can still go for blue alps after that.

hellothere

12 Aug 2021, 19:13

Oh. Sorry. Should have mentioned this.

If you're not building a keyboard from the controller up and decide you want to try out a vintage keyboard, there are some keyboards that will require a converter to work. Note that this isn't an adapter: an adapter just swaps wires. A converter translates what your keyboard is saying to something that the computer understands. If you don't want to worry about this, make sure the keyboard you buy is AT compatible and/or has an obvious AT/XT switch, which generally can be found on the bottom case.

Some keyboards will require one or two adapters. If you're going from 5-PIN DIN to PS/2, this will work. If you then need to go to USB, you'll also want an ACTIVE adapter. Here's one that I've used a couple times.

Vintage Apple keyboards have an ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) connector. I recommend getting the Drakware converter. You can also build your own converter for about $7 less.

JP!

12 Aug 2021, 19:18

I really like these "Fat Brown Alps". Hard to come by though.

viewtopic.php?t=17569

hellothere

12 Aug 2021, 19:24

Easy_Spinach wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 19:05
I say, go with white alps first. It's a really nice switch and close enough to blue alps. You can get them for super cheap and If you enjoy it you can still go for blue alps after that.
It would be nice to get both. Whites are more common and cheaper, as mentioned, but they're also higher pitched and have a lower weighting. OP is also asking for the best Alps clicky switch.

I love the look of the fat Alps, BTW.

Palatino

12 Aug 2021, 22:57

JP! wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 19:18
I really like these "Fat Brown Alps". Hard to come by though.

viewtopic.php?t=17569
Hard to come by must be right: I'd never even heard of them until you posted that link.

Quick plug for black Alps: they may not be the best as they stand, but they must be the most readily available, and if you linearise or click-mod them then they feel really good either way. A good cheap way to get into Alps.

ppCircle

12 Aug 2021, 23:04

Imo. Alps SKCM Blue in Fk-555

hellothere

15 Aug 2021, 19:02

ppCircle wrote:
I have a Zenith ZKB-150 ... I think ... and it does give the OmniKey a run for its money, as it also has the metal bottom case, metal mounting plate, and thick plastic top. However, it has linear switches.

The Focus 555 is a "father" or "cousin" or something to the OmniKeys. It's a lot harder to find, too.

TNT

15 Aug 2021, 21:00

hellothere wrote:
15 Aug 2021, 19:02
ppCircle wrote:
I have a Zenith ZKB-150 ... I think ... and it does give the OmniKey a run for its money, as it also has the metal bottom case, metal mounting plate, and thick plastic top. However, it has linear switches.

The Focus 555 is a "father" or "cousin" or something to the OmniKeys. It's a lot harder to find, too.
Did you put blue Alps in your Z-150?

hellothere

16 Aug 2021, 20:44

Nope. I could, though. I have at least 101 blue Alps switches lying around. Looking for a Zenith with blue Alps, TNT?

mcmaxmcmc

17 Aug 2021, 14:35

Blue Alps; Leading Edge DC-3014. Great chassis for the switch, albeit it's probably one of the most sought after models out there and they fetch for quite a bit.

fohat
Elder Messenger

17 Aug 2021, 16:00

I have only had blue Alps and "pine" and "bamboo" whites. My experience indicates that the very early whites are almost identical to blue.

My 2 favorites are keyboards that I transplanted blue Alps switches into - a Northgate Omnikey 101 and a Dell AT101W. Although the Northgate is an awesome and handsome device that simply oozes classic "quality" I might sometimes admit that I prefer the Dell on the basis of feel. (I did install a weight bar from a very early AT101 into it with a little Dremel work.)

And also, it is black which looks more modern (I could easily swap the guts into a beige shell without changing anything) and it has Windows keys which are probably more important to some other people than to me.

TNT

29 Aug 2021, 19:51

hellothere wrote:
Nope. I could, though. I have at least 101 blue Alps switches lying around. Looking for a Zenith with blue Alps, TNT?
Not necessarily, but I wouldn't say no, depends on the price :lol:

Just curious if anyone ever tried the combination of a Zenith chassis with other than just linear Alps ...

hellothere

01 Sep 2021, 22:46

TNT wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 19:51
hellothere wrote:
Not necessarily, but I wouldn't say no, depends on the price :lol:

Just curious if anyone ever tried the combination of a Zenith chassis with other than just linear Alps ...
We're carrying on the discussion in two threads!

Personally, I don't mind putting whatever switches into whatever keyboard, regardless of what switches the keyboard was supposed to have. Hey, I've put brown Alps in an OmniKey case because that was the best Alps case with the best-condition PCB I had. My only problem on the Zenith, ATM, is that I don't have a keyboard cable.

I have closer to 300 blue Alps switches.

TNT

01 Sep 2021, 23:21

hellothere wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 22:46

We're carrying on the discussion in two threads!

Personally, I don't mind putting whatever switches into whatever keyboard, regardless of what switches the keyboard was supposed to have. Hey, I've put brown Alps in an OmniKey case because that was the best Alps case with the best-condition PCB I had. My only problem on the Zenith, ATM, is that I don't have a keyboard cable.

I have closer to 300 blue Alps switches.
Make it three :mrgreen:

If I had a second Z-150 at hand, I'd have tried it long ago. Very cool board. Hope you find someone who can help you soon

Raumfahrer

07 Sep 2021, 10:12

Crank it to 12, Amber (mine are in a Northgate 102)

TNT

07 Sep 2021, 16:33

That's sick. Is it true that those are basically heavier blues?

Lucid

07 Sep 2021, 22:48

I would love to put some amber alps in my omnikey ultra t. The white alps that came in it are trashed (most of them bind badly on off-center key presses). I’ll probably swap them out for salmon alps at some point since they are more reasonably priced and not too bad to get a hold of.

TNT

08 Sep 2021, 00:03

Lucid wrote:
I would love to put some amber alps in my omnikey ultra t. The white alps that came in it are trashed (most of them bind badly on off-center key presses). I’ll probably swap them out for salmon alps at some point since they are more reasonably priced and not too bad to get a hold of.
I'm in the same situation with my Omnikey Plus. I had the opportunity to get some blue Alps. Still waiting for them to arrive but I'm excited to find out whether they're as good as people say.

Lucid

08 Sep 2021, 03:41

TNT wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 00:03
Lucid wrote:
I'm in the same situation with my Omnikey Plus. I had the opportunity to get some blue Alps. Still waiting for them to arrive but I'm excited to find out whether they're as good as people say.
Very happy for you. Please let us know how it turns out!

Thorogrimm

08 Sep 2021, 13:19

Matias clicky switches reportedly feel about 80% the same as genuine clicky alps like SKCM blues or whites. Plus Matias are far more accessible and cheaper. You will obviously need to find a case and PCB to put them into but I'm sure there are some aftermarket options if you decide to go for the Matias switches. I found this video as a comparison, if this can help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBgicoOJq_Y

Return to “Keyboards”