What fingers do you use to hit the spacebar?

What fingers do you use to hit the spacebar?

Left thumb
33%
Right thumb
44%
Both thumbs
13%
Left index finger
No votes
Right index finger
7%
Left middle finger
No votes
Right middle finger
2%
Left ring finger
No votes
Right ring finger
No votes
Left pinky
No votes
Right pinky
No votes
Any/All
2%

Total votes: 55

whocares

26 Aug 2021, 11:41

I thought this could be a fun question to ask: what do you use to hit your spacebar? I tend to only use my left thumb (even though I'm right-handed). I'm trying to get in the habit of using both thumbs, but it doesn't quite feel natural yet.

fohat
Elder Messenger

26 Aug 2021, 15:54

There have been other threads like this.

I use thumbs, depending on where my hands are hovering over the keyboard I might use whichever is more convenient, but right is probably the default (70%-80%) with left as the alternate (20%-30%).

Lucid

28 Aug 2021, 04:08

Left thumb space bar user here. I really like split keyboards. It's a shame that so many of them really lean right-thumb user because they short the left space bar such that it it is unusable for the left-thumb space user. For example: VEA, Mistel MD770, SP-111 (supposed to be a "southpaw" keyboard yet clearly designed for right-thumb users???), ultimate hacking keyboard, the list goes on.

Lanrefni

28 Aug 2021, 07:48

BFO-9000 with Space under left thumb and Backspace under right thumb.

Findecanor

28 Aug 2021, 12:15

Lucid wrote:
28 Aug 2021, 04:08
Mistel MD770, SP-111 (supposed to be a "southpaw" keyboard yet clearly designed for right-thumb users???), ultimate hacking keyboard, the list goes on.
Interesting that you find it insufficient. On those keyboards the space bar is split under the B key, and is as wide on the left as on the right.
How far right would need to stretch for you?

Lucid

29 Aug 2021, 00:03

Flush with the right edge of the B key is bare minimum. Preferably it would extend our past the right edge of the B key. Otherwise, it is necessary to curl the left thumb in, which results in thumb pain not long into a typing session. I tend to hit the space bar between B and N

Findecanor

29 Aug 2021, 01:08

The shiny spots from my right thumb are usually below the N key. That means that there is no keyboard that splits apart that would be viable for both of us ... Except perhaps for Cherry G80-5000, which has telescopic space-bars.

tiltowait

29 Aug 2021, 02:15

Left thumb on a normal keyboard. I want to meet the maniac who uses their pinkies.

Wintermute1974
Tessier-Ashpool S.A.

29 Aug 2021, 08:18

You left-thumb people would have failed my high school’s typing class.

Tha_Pig

29 Aug 2021, 09:11

I had to look down to check, it seems I in type mostly with my two middle fingers for all keys and the right pinky for SHIFT and ENTER.

tiltowait

30 Aug 2021, 00:57

Wintermute1974 wrote:
... Why?

Palatino

30 Aug 2021, 10:17

Perhaps the thumb you use for the spacebar follows handedness quite closely, meaning split spacebar designs and school typing classes are biased towards right-handers.

micmil

30 Aug 2021, 19:17

tiltowait wrote:
Wintermute1974 wrote:
... Why?
Because the "correct" way is to use the right thumb. Because the "correct" way to do most things is to completely ignore differences in basic human functionality and instead suckle the opinion of whatever jackwagon actually cared about the subject so much they wrote an entire book on it. See: Any instrument instructional book, typing, shooting, driving, and ESPECIALLY exercise of any type.

pcaro

01 Sep 2021, 05:21

Both thumbs. I use the thumb of the opposite hand to last used.

Zobeid Zuma

05 Sep 2021, 05:32

My left thumb naturally rests right around V, my right thumb right around N. I used both thumbs until I switched to split-spacebar keyboards, so now it has become very natural for me to space with my right thumb and backspace with the left.

My most successful split layout is 2¼–1¼–2¾. It fits into the same space as a 6¼u bar, and that central 1¼u key is a great place for Fn! It's not perfect, though. It means my right thumb is constantly bashing the extreme left end of the 2¾u key, so it needs to be well stabilized.

I did build a Clueboard with a pair of 2u spacebars, and they were perfectly positioned under my thumbs, no stabilizer problems, but then I missed that central Fn key.

Wintermute1974
Tessier-Ashpool S.A.

05 Sep 2021, 16:08

micmil wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 19:17
tiltowait wrote:
Wintermute1974 wrote:
... Why?
Because the "correct" way is to use the right thumb.
This is correct. There are standards in this world, and using the right thumb is just one of them.
You should practice shouting the German phrase Ordnung muss sein! daily, until you believe it too.

Return to “Keyboards”