Easiest solution for model M

Mips

31 Aug 2021, 13:01

Hi, I was lucky enough to come across a pretty mint silver badge Model M. The trouble is that the guy I bought it from did a bad job of the USB converter. It started disconnecting randomly and now doesn't work at all.

So now I want to get the replace his bodge with the easiest solution possible to get the keyboard working again reliably. I've read that Phosphorglow do a very stable replacement board that's very reliable but that info was from 2016.

I'm overwhelmingly busy, so don't want to spend time tinkering, which is why I was attracted to Phosphorglow's solution rather than Soarers/Teensy. Can anyone recommend the simplest, most reliable route? I don't mind paying a little more if it saves time tinkering.

feltel

31 Aug 2021, 15:14

If you own the original SDL cable then using an "external" soarers converter by orihalcon would be plug and play. Of course you have to "un-mod" the previous owners USB-mod.

fohat
Elder Messenger

31 Aug 2021, 15:18

Without a proper description of the problem and/or a picture it is very hard to make suggestions.

Specifically, what original parts, if any, were removed? We have to know the starting point to formulate a path forward.

Mips

31 Aug 2021, 19:07

fohat wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 15:18
Without a proper description of the problem and/or a picture it is very hard to make suggestions.

Specifically, what original parts, if any, were removed? We have to know the starting point to formulate a path forward.
Of course, sorry I should have posted photos - I've attached them here. I don't have the original cable.

When I opened it to see what the problem was, I saw that the pins of that little board were just sat on top of and touching the metal base so I thought that could have been the problem. But when I put the keyboard back together with insulation around the board & pins, the problem was still there. Now it's not working at all. I'm just looking for the easiest, most reliable solution.
Attachments
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG (3.32 MiB) Viewed 1895 times
IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_0257.JPG (4.01 MiB) Viewed 1895 times

Wazrach

31 Aug 2021, 19:11

Not going to lie, I was shitting myself thinking this thread was about the RT Model M and the janky converter I made for it. I sold it to a very friendly UK buyer (like yourself), but thankfully I'm not responsible for this!

Anyway, on a more serious note, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues and I hope it will be resolved soon. Sorry I can't be of more use.

raoulduke-esq

31 Aug 2021, 19:16

Nice backplate- shit converter. Those Dupont connectors aren't great for permanent installations, especially if cheap ones are used because they lose their grip.

If it were ME (because I like keeping keyboards as original as possible) - I would order a replacement fixed cable from Unicomp and make a new inline converter using Hasu's TMK ibmpc_usb firmware and a Pro M1cro. Since you want to have an easy solution and would pay more, you could order the cable from Unicomp and order a fully-made converter from Hasu. Then everything will be external from your board and easier to access/reprogram.

Mips

31 Aug 2021, 19:31

This sounds perfect, thanks. I like to keep things original too and was disappointed not to get the original cable with the keyboard. I didn’t realise I could order a replacement from Unicomp. Just to clarify, is the cable I need a PS2 cable or usb cable?

raoulduke-esq

31 Aug 2021, 19:37

What's the model number on your case bottom? I was trying to look up which cable (5-pin DIN or PS/2) your keyboard originally came with but the number on your plate sticker isn't in the DB.

Mips

31 Aug 2021, 23:32

Apologies, got caught up with family stuff. Here's the sticker:
Attachments
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG (3.05 MiB) Viewed 1813 times

retrofitit

01 Sep 2021, 00:44

Looked it up, that came with an 8P8C connector (many call it an RJ45 but it is not) cable.
Fortunately there are converters available for them. Not too expensive.

Mips

01 Sep 2021, 01:35

Thanks v. much for that. I found a nos 8P8C cable - would this work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-IBM-RJ45 ... 32-2357-0]

It’d be great to be able to use this original nos cable for authenticity.

I’m having trouble finding sources of the 8P8C to USB converter. The only one I can find is this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RJ45-to- ... 632-2357-0

I’m assuming they mean 8P8C instead of RJ45, would that be a rational assumption to make? And will this converter combined with the nos cable above do the trick?

raoulduke-esq

01 Sep 2021, 03:56

Most people say RJ-45 when referring to these connectors, converters, and keyboards. That cable is a nice find!

The Soarer's you found ought to work, but be aware the software is abandonware. Many in the community love it anyway. If you would prefer to use converter software that's under active development and still supported, contact Hasu and see if he can sell you one of his TMK converters with the plug you need. He sells his others here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0.

retrofitit

01 Sep 2021, 04:20

Yes those should be what you need.

orihalcon is a good seller, I have bought several converters from him.

Most people just go with what everyone else calls something, it can help with communication or hinder it.

Mips

01 Sep 2021, 11:46

Thanks guys. I’ve bought the cable & am waiting for Hasu’s reply as to whether he can do me a 8P8C converter in a housing/case. If not I’ll just go with the eBay converter.

EDIT: Hasu isn't selling them so went with the ebay unit.

Return to “Keyboards”