Unicomp Model M Problem

CaffeineTripp

05 Sep 2021, 13:42

Previously, I had problems with many of the keys not working when Shift was depressed. Talked to Unicomp and they figured that it was the membrane. Replaced the membrane, did the bolt mod, plugged it in to check the keys, and the entire board worked flawlessly.
Removed the USB from the front panel and plugged it into a USB extension running to the rear of the PC for it's 'permanent' location, and now the board doesn't work. Plugged it back into the front panel, still nothing.

I've attempted keeping it plugged in while restarting the PC, restarting the PC in Safe Mode, unplugging it then restarting it, checking BIOS to see if there are any odd features that would keep it from reading the keyboard, and so on. The PC doesn't recognize that anything's plugged in, and have tried another PC as well to no avail.

I would assume that the controller is now bad, but is there anyway to test it to see if that's the exact problem?

Wintermute1974
Tessier-Ashpool S.A.

05 Sep 2021, 16:12

You did a bolt mod on a new Model M?

pandrew

06 Sep 2021, 15:36

If you connect a second keyboard to the same computer, and you press capslock on the second keyboard, do you see it toggling on the unicomp?

Do you hear a windows usb connection sound when connecting the keyboard? (Or if on linux, do you see anything showing up in dmesg?)

Do you have a multimeter to check continuity on the four wires of the USB cable?

wobbled

07 Sep 2021, 21:10

Wintermute1974 wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 16:12
You did a bolt mod on a new Model M?
He said he had to replace the membrane, so a bolt mod was his only option

Return to “Keyboards”