MX Compatible Case Suggestion, Please

hellothere

05 Sep 2021, 17:56

What is the best MX-compatible case available that has a modern ANSI layout? I'm thinking about expanding my Kalih Box Jade into a full-size case. I'd like a modern bottom row and enter key so I can get teh fancy key caps. l'm specifically looking for a case that can bring out the sound of those Jades. My preference is a case with Windows keys. Backlight is optional. Non-ortholinear. I don't care if it has a 5pin DIN, PS/2, or if I'd have to build a Soarer's. Nothing too rare, please. I'd like to actually buy one :D.

This is close to the case I'm currently using. The advantages of this case are that it has a nice metal mounting plate and it's cheap.

I've searched the forum and it looks like this is too general of request to get hits.

Yes, if you have one you want to sell, post or PM. I'm in the US.

Hak Foo

05 Sep 2021, 21:42

I sort of liked the SK108, in that it was cheap and felt reasonably solid. I only used mine for a few weeks though because it was to try switches, and then I built a more permanent soldered board with the ones I settled on. (I went for Box Pale Blue)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002326028699.html

When I bought it, it was 86USD delivered, so it's not quite as compelling at 100. The software's sort of clunky, since it doesn't install easily and has to be toggled into English, but it offered a fair bit of RGB contriol and I think some limited macro functionality.

The other option is to just strip out one of the cheap hotswap boards that come with no name "blue switches", selected based on preference of style/packin software/features.

hellothere

06 Sep 2021, 02:15

Thanks, HF. I'm not really looking for a hot swap or anything like that because all those cases are pretty uniform and small. I want something nice and big for extra boomy-ness. Another way of looking at it is, if you're talking Alps keyboards, the case to get is from an OmniKey or Zenith (and some other Focus keyboards, etc.) because they're big, have lots of extra room in the case, have a metal bottom case, a metal mounting plate, and a tick plastic top case.

In other words, something like Chyros' WYSE "Project N", but with a modern layout.

SK-8K

06 Sep 2021, 03:22

Would my Quietkey project be of any interest to you? If I can make the mod repeatable it could open up a whole new world of custom keyboards.

Hak Foo

06 Sep 2021, 04:03

How about the case from a fullsize MY board, like the Cherry G81-3000?

Nobody wants them because, well, MY switches suck, but they're usually big cases with a fairly tasteful/conservative design. You'd likely have to retool it a bit to mount a plate-mount PCB instead, but the MY assembly, at least in some versions, is more reminiscent of a plate-mounted board than the typical G80 PCB-mounted-switch construction, so it might be more accomodating of the assembly's thickness

I think the hardest part to square will be "modern ANSI layout" with "metal-backed case". There's sort of a gap in vintage boards-- there was no "flagship" for vintage Cherry boards to match the Northgate range. Outside of Cherry's own products, you had a lot of "opportunistic" OEMs like Chicony that would do the same case with MX switches one day, SMK the next, and Alps on weekends. That sort of design tended to lead towards middling quality plastic cases.

If you're not wedded to a 104 layout, some of the special-market boards (Video editing consoles or trading-desk keyboards like the G80-9009) are often super-overbuilt, and MX-based chassis, but you often have to settle for a layout that's "104 but with extra banks of keys"

hellothere

08 Sep 2021, 19:23

SK-8K wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 03:22
Would my Quietkey project be of any interest to you?
Maybe. I did briefly look over it before I started this thread. I generally think "Alps" when I think Dell keyboards. I've got probably 6 of those. I'll look in more depth.
How about the case from a fullsize MY board, like the Cherry G81-3000?
I'd really rather not have to do major revisioning of the keyboard, but if it's really good ...
I think the hardest part to square will be "modern ANSI layout" with "metal-backed case". There's sort of a gap in vintage boards-- there was no "flagship" for vintage Cherry boards to match the Northgate range. Outside of Cherry's own products, you had a lot of "opportunistic" OEMs like Chicony that would do the same case with MX switches one day, SMK the next, and Alps on weekends. That sort of design tended to lead towards middling quality plastic cases.
Well, you've explained why I can't find any nice MX keyboards :D.
If you're not wedded to a 104 layout, some of the special-market boards (Video editing consoles or trading-desk keyboards like the G80-9009) are often super-overbuilt, and MX-based chassis, but you often have to settle for a layout that's "104 but with extra banks of keys"
Maybe. As mentioned, I really want to get a standard-size bottom row, even if there aren't any Windows keys.

Rayndalf

09 Sep 2021, 02:40

I have a couple G80/81-3000 cases and a G80-3000 PCB with MX greens (ISO layout, USB) and a couple replacement GH80-3000 PCBs that might be a little fried. I think I killed them attaching the USB C plugs.

I might have something else exciting but I'm a bit hesitant to part with it.

hellothere

10 Sep 2021, 03:25

I think I'll have to abandon that search for a modern layout. Pity.

OK, what's the best MX-compatible case? There are a couple different Wyse terminals that are built like tanks.

SK-8K

10 Sep 2021, 03:43

This looks promising so far
DSC04564.jpg
DSC04564.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1220 times
DSC04563.jpg
DSC04563.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1220 times
No metal mounting plate yet but I'm planning to keep the metal backplate. Maybe I can build you one once I figured out the process.

Rayndalf

11 Sep 2021, 02:21

hellothere wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 03:25
I think I'll have to abandon that search for a modern layout. Pity.
My G80-3000 PCB supports a winkey bottom row, the GH80-3000 does as well.

You can simply cut the blockers off a winkeyless 3000 case if need be or find a winkey 3000 case. I don't think they're terribly rare, but they aren't terribly nice either.

Return to “Keyboards”