HHKB but with arrow keys and Mac function keys?

shearess

09 Sep 2021, 04:24

Hello! I was just wondering if anyone knew of a mechanical keyboard similar to the HHKB's layout (ie with Ctrl replacing Caps Lock, and the Delete Key being right above the Enter key), except with full size arrow keys and mac function keys? if it has a full-size cmd key (i.e. wider than the x key), that'd be perfect too

I've found the Topre Realforce R2 for Mac, and it looks really good, except for the absolutely outdated connectivity and build. https://www.realforce.co.jp/en/products/R2TL-USVM-WH/

Go-Kart

09 Sep 2021, 05:38

Muirium
µ

09 Sep 2021, 18:26

Outdated connectivity? You mean it's wired! So's the HHKB, unless you go for Bluetooth (or hack your own like me).

Gotta master that real HHKB. Once you learn the Fn+Arrow key layer, you are golden. For all 60% keyboards… of which it reigns supreme

The JP is an option. But beware its non-standard stagger:

A regular Tenkeyless board, like the Realforce, is a safer bet. 60% just isn't for everyone. Those of us who love it, though, love it like nothing else.

Go-Kart

10 Sep 2021, 05:39

The HHKB arrow layer is second nature to me now. Didn't take long either!

robo

10 Sep 2021, 17:42

> except for the absolutely outdated connectivity and build

The keyboard community is funny. Half the people here are spending their kids' college fund to try to resurrect dinosaurs from the 70s and the other half is horrified by technology from last year.

raoulduke-esq

10 Sep 2021, 17:44

Quick everyone!! Throw away ALL your USB A devices and repurchase USB C devices!!! NOOOO outdated connectivity!!!

Muirium
µ

10 Sep 2021, 17:45

Mini USB is a design thought crime! Death to the irreversible infidels!

(I very slightly prefer mini USB to micro USB as its polarity is at least obvious. Micro in the dark? The stuff of nightmares.)

wobbled

10 Sep 2021, 19:52

Muirium wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 17:45
Mini USB is a design thought crime! Death to the irreversible infidels!

(I very slightly prefer mini USB to micro USB as its polarity is at least obvious. Micro in the dark? The stuff of nightmares.)
Not to mention Micro USB's are incredibly weak. I've managed to rip off two micro USB connectors from xwhatsit controllers when moving a cable in a dodgy direction to try and clamp it down inside a case.

robo

10 Sep 2021, 22:29

wobbled wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 19:52

Not to mention Micro USB's are incredibly weak. I've managed to rip off two micro USB connectors from xwhatsit controllers when moving a cable in a dodgy direction to try and clamp it down inside a case.
The irony is that MicroUSB was introduced partly to be more durable than MiniUSB - despite being thinner it was engineered for more cycles of flexing, inserts, removals, etc. Basically to survive use in a mobile phone, vs stuff like portable hard drives.

Of course dodgy cheap parts probably don't meet those original standards.

Findecanor

10 Sep 2021, 23:24

There do exist Micro USB sockets where the shield is through-hole soldered to the PCB, making them just as durable as USB-C. And there do exist cables with reversible Micro USB plugs. Both of these are later iterations of the Micro USB connector through, and not the norm.

I've heard about about destroyed USB-C sockets too.

Findecanor

10 Sep 2021, 23:48

shearess wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 04:24
I've found the Topre Realforce R2 for Mac, and it looks really good, except for the absolutely outdated connectivity and build. https://www.realforce.co.jp/en/products/R2TL-USVM-WH/
I wouldn't call the build "outdated". I'd agree that the design is an acquired taste though ...

If you don't need the function keys but still want Topre, you could also take a look at the Leopold FC660C - the 'C' version has Topre switches. You could get the left Ctrl and Command keys in the right positions with DIP switches, but the legends are not exactly right.

Some keyboards from Keychron come with Bluetooth, a Macintosh mode and keycaps with Mac legends (if not a Mac version), and they also have function keys in Apple's order, but the right Command key is 1u which you might not like.

Neither keyboard mentioned has the ability to split the "Delete"/"Backspace" key into two, but I think could be swapped with the \| key using Karabiner though.
Last edited by Findecanor on 11 Sep 2021, 00:06, edited 3 times in total.

Palatino

10 Sep 2021, 23:55

robo wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 17:42
> except for the absolutely outdated connectivity and build

The keyboard community is funny. Half the people here are spending their kids' college fund to try to resurrect dinosaurs from the 70s and the other half is horrified by technology from last year.
Nah, I’m growing my kids’ college fund buying keyboards from the 70s :D

Return to “Keyboards”