Does this dampen my keyboard?

KhalifaAdam

11 Sep 2021, 08:09

Findecanor wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 00:35
You could perhaps line the case with clear tape first to avoid the caulk sticking. Ordinary clear tape is made of polyethylene — and almost nothing sticks permanently to PE.
I have used this trick many times with epoxy and epoxy putty, but at smaller scale and I've never actually tried PE with silicone caulk.

The tape might be easier to get out afterwards if you first line the case with masking tape and then with packing tape, but then it would be harder to get a smooth surface.
I will try that when i manage to get that silicone thing to Hungary!

Findecanor

11 Sep 2021, 12:06

KhalifaAdam wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 07:50
Next, I would put rubber O-rings on the standoffs that the PCB-plate sandwich rests on. I've heard that the GK61 uses 2.5mm screws (so you'd want O-rings with 2.5mm holes), but you might want to measure that to be sure. If you can't find thin O-rings, maybe you could punch holes in pieces of a rubber band or something.
The standoffs are the spacers?
Yep, the spacers. O-rings around the screws in-between the PCB and bottom housing.
They should protect against the PCB transferring vibrations down into the case through the standoffs.
KhalifaAdam wrote:
https://www.banggood.com/150pcs-White-R ... ehouse=USA

This will do the job I think!
Nope, those are for something else: cushioning each key stroke directly. They are intended to be put on the inside of each keycap, and are too large for the standoffs.
They are not as effective as using "silent" switches.

KhalifaAdam

11 Sep 2021, 13:46

Findecanor wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 12:06
KhalifaAdam wrote:
Next, I would put rubber O-rings on the standoffs that the PCB-plate sandwich rests on. I've heard that the GK61 uses 2.5mm screws (so you'd want O-rings with 2.5mm holes), but you might want to measure that to be sure. If you can't find thin O-rings, maybe you could punch holes in pieces of a rubber band or something.
The standoffs are the spacers?
Yep, the spacers. O-rings around the screws in-between the PCB and bottom housing.
They should protect against the PCB transferring vibrations down into the case through the standoffs.
KhalifaAdam wrote:
https://www.banggood.com/150pcs-White-R ... ehouse=USA

This will do the job I think!
Nope, those are for something else: cushioning each key stroke directly. They are intended to be put on the inside of each keycap, and are too large for the standoffs.
They are not as effective as using "silent" switches.
https://www.banggood.com/Watch-Crowns-W ... mds=search
?

robo

14 Sep 2021, 05:08

KhalifaAdam wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 08:03

I would have really liked to tried that but none of the shops there ship to Hungary
only Amazon.
But the arrival date on amazon is Oct 6 :(
But thank you for the response!
You don't have to get exactly that caulk. You might try asking at a local hardware store if they have any silicone caulk that does not release acetic acid (basically vinegar) while curing. The GE Silicone II stuff releases ethanol, i believe, which is mostly harmless to electronics. There may be an equivalent product available where you are.

KhalifaAdam

14 Sep 2021, 08:59

robo wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 05:08
KhalifaAdam wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 08:03

I would have really liked to tried that but none of the shops there ship to Hungary
only Amazon.
But the arrival date on amazon is Oct 6 :(
But thank you for the response!
You don't have to get exactly that caulk. You might try asking at a local hardware store if they have any silicone caulk that does not release acetic acid (basically vinegar) while curing. The GE Silicone II stuff releases ethanol, i believe, which is mostly harmless to electronics. There may be an equivalent product available where you are.
Aaay thanks!
I think imma go there next week (or a week after next week :lol:)

inozenz

14 Sep 2021, 12:06

one thing that works really well is memory foam. i had a pillow with too much filling were i removed more then half of the memory foam pieces. no other material has ever worked better for me. i used rubber, normal foam, sound dampaning foam, special rubber for preventing vibrations, doesnt come close to memory foam. One thing to note is that it wont prevent ping from switches that is another issue, but it will give your keyboard a more thocky sound.

Return to “Keyboards”