Does this dampen my keyboard?

KhalifaAdam

10 Sep 2021, 10:52

So I want to build my first opti-mech keeb and i was thinking of the GK61 but its notoriously known as a hollow/loud keeb
so i searched for dampening foam on banggood (only on banggood)
and i found these:
https://www.banggood.com/10pcs-28PPI-Bl ... mds=search
and
https://www.banggood.com/Sound-Proofing ... mds=search
Do these work? :?:
What works best the 10 pcs of little foam or the big roll of sound blocker thing?
Please leave a comment!

fohat
Elder Messenger

10 Sep 2021, 15:48

Just guessing, but the first one looks useless but the second on might be alright.

Sorbothane is generally considered the gold standard for dampening, but it is expensive.

raoulduke-esq

10 Sep 2021, 16:40

fohat wrote:
Just guessing, but the first one looks useless but the second on might be alright.

Sorbothane is generally considered the gold standard for dampening, but it is expensive.
you got duped by the spambot

robo

10 Sep 2021, 17:40

raoulduke-esq wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 16:40
fohat wrote:

you got duped by the spambot
What makes you think spambot?

raoulduke-esq

10 Sep 2021, 17:48

Account just created, account name follows the TwoWord structure of capitalization and length, no vintage tech in bio, post not about vintage, post contains the word "keeb", post reads like something you'd see on r/mk, and if I were willing to use google instead of duck duck go I'm sure as can be that this exact post can be found in r/mk but I CBA to do that...

Muirium
µ

10 Sep 2021, 17:57

Funny you should say that. I looked it up on DuckDuckGo before your post, and, oy!, is that duck not as smart as it used to be. Must be their reliance on Bing come home to roost.

As soon as Safari offers Brave as a search engine, I'm using that.

Actually, Bing's doing a better job than DuckDuckGo. Google's got the hots for YouTube vids, but to answer the actual question: no obvious sign this is copypasta spam here. Maybe it's legit!

raoulduke-esq

10 Sep 2021, 18:15

Only time will tell.

KhalifaAdam

10 Sep 2021, 20:11

raoulduke-esq wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 17:48
Account just created, account name follows the TwoWord structure of capitalization and length, no vintage tech in bio, post not about vintage, post contains the word "keeb", post reads like something you'd see on r/mk, and if I were willing to use google instead of duck duck go I'm sure as can be that this exact post can be found in r/mk but I CBA to do that...
WTH dude why would i be a bot?
I just asked witch foam is the best!
And also ask me a random question i will answer it to prove that i am not a bot
Edit: i am new to keyboards as i said in my original post, so what the hell is vintage?
no vintage tech in bio, post not about vintage
What does that mean?
And also i use the word keeb to not type keyboard out lol
Last edited by KhalifaAdam on 10 Sep 2021, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

KhalifaAdam

10 Sep 2021, 20:12

Muirium wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 17:57
Funny you should say that. I looked it up on DuckDuckGo before your post, and, oy!, is that duck not as smart as it used to be. Must be their reliance on Bing come home to roost.

As soon as Safari offers Brave as a search engine, I'm using that.

Actually, Bing's doing a better job than DuckDuckGo. Google's got the hots for YouTube vids, but to answer the actual question: no obvious sign this is copypasta spam here. Maybe it's legit!
I am legit dude thanks!

KhalifaAdam

10 Sep 2021, 20:13

fohat wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

raoulduke-esq

10 Sep 2021, 20:26

KhalifaAdam wrote:
As I mentioned, you fit 95% of profile of the spambots this forum has been infiltrated by lately. However, since you are clearly not a bot - welcome and enjoy your stay! How did you learn about Deskthority?

KhalifaAdam

10 Sep 2021, 20:36

raoulduke-esq wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 20:26
KhalifaAdam wrote:
As I mentioned, you fit 95% of profile of the spambots this forum has been infiltrated by lately. However, since you are clearly not a bot - welcome and enjoy your stay! How did you learn about Deskthority?
How did you learn about Deskthority?
Thru the inter-web!

And also i just wanted to build a custom keeb!

TNT

Sorry for the rough welcome. We're actually not always this ill-mannered. Well, except Muirium of course, he's Scottish :lol:

This forum has been plagued by a lot of spambots recently. Really exhausting.

Regarding your question, why not buy a bigger/wider piece of foam, like a mat and cut it in a shape that will fit your keyboard? If you have no other options, the bigger strip sounds like less of a hassle to me.

sharktastica

10 Sep 2021, 20:44

As TNT said, it's just been a rough couple of weeks (or months) for the forum so people have become wary and guarded over the spamming situation. With an absent owner/moderator, we're basically a headless chicken at this point and can't do anything about it. So yeah, apologies for the rough welcome.

Wazrach

10 Sep 2021, 20:46

I use 2mm plastazoate polyethylene foam in some of my keyboards, which tightens up the sound without making it quiet.

raoulduke-esq

10 Sep 2021, 20:47

KhalifaAdam wrote:
Thru the inter-web!

Cool! There are enough people here who do MX stuff that we should be able to help you out. There's also a discord if you're into that sort of thing.

There have been some interesting/cheap innovations lately including covering the back of your PCB with blue painters tape for a super low cost improvement in sound profile.

KhalifaAdam

10 Sep 2021, 21:04

TNT wrote:
Sorry for the rough welcome. We're actually not always this ill-mannered. Well, except Muirium of course, he's Scottish :lol:

This forum has been plagued by a lot of spambots recently. Really exhausting.

Regarding your question, why not buy a bigger/wider piece of foam, like a mat and cut it in a shape that will fit your keyboard? If you have no other options, the bigger strip sounds like less of a hassle to me.
Thanks for the clearing up!
Apology accepted!

KhalifaAdam

10 Sep 2021, 21:05

sharktastica wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 20:44
As TNT said, it's just been a rough couple of weeks (or months) for the forum so people have become wary and guarded over the spamming situation. With an absent owner/moderator, we're basically a headless chicken at this point and can't do anything about it. So yeah, apologies for the rough welcome.
NP!

KhalifaAdam

10 Sep 2021, 21:09

Wazrach wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 20:46
I use 2mm plastazoate polyethylene foam in some of my keyboards, which tightens up the sound without making it quiet.
That unfortunately isn't available on Banggood!

KhalifaAdam

10 Sep 2021, 21:15

raoulduke-esq wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 20:47
KhalifaAdam wrote:
Thru the inter-web!

Cool! There are enough people here who do MX stuff that we should be able to help you out. There's also a discord if you're into that sort of thing.

There have been some interesting/cheap innovations lately including covering the back of your PCB with blue painters tape for a super low cost improvement in sound profile.
Thank you for the warm after welcome! :lol:

raoulduke-esq

10 Sep 2021, 21:18

Thanks! Seriously my bad and I’m sorry if I made you feel unwelcome.
KhalifaAdam wrote:
Edit: i am new to keyboards as i said in my original post, so what the hell is vintage?
Just saw your edit. “Vintage” here is stuff like IBM, Alps, Fujitsu, Stackpole, microswitch, mitsumi, etc. Old keyboards from back in the day that we collect, restore, convert, and enjoy.

If I had to guess I’d say that at least 90% of Deskthority is about vintage keyboards. The MX platform is not the primary focus here (vintage black notwithstanding) but we’re a passionate bunch and many have MX stuff and will help where we can.

KhalifaAdam

10 Sep 2021, 21:48

raoulduke-esq wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 21:18
KhalifaAdam wrote:
Just saw your edit. “Vintage” here is stuff like IBM, Alps, Fujitsu, Stackpole, microswitch, mitsumi, etc. Old keyboards from back in the day that we collect, restore, convert, and enjoy.

If I had to guess I’d say that at least 90% of Deskthority is about vintage keyboards. The MX platform is not the primary focus here (vintage black notwithstanding) but we’re a passionate bunch and many have MX stuff and will help where we can.
You didn't!
You did nothing wrong! You were nice with me but you had a bot infestation so i understand!
And thank you for answering my question about vintage keyboards!

Findecanor

10 Sep 2021, 22:21

I looked up a few things quickly on the GK61 and compared with what I know.

I would choose the denser automotive foam. Or... first reinforce the bottom of the case with lengthwise ribs of some material epoxied to the bottom, to make the case more rigid.
You could find similar automotive damping foam also in stores for car accessories.

Next, I would put rubber O-rings on the standoffs that the PCB-plate sandwich rests on. I've heard that the GK61 uses 2.5mm screws (so you'd want O-rings with 2.5mm holes), but you might want to measure that to be sure. If you can't find thin O-rings, maybe you could punch holes in pieces of a rubber band or something.

The most effective method of damping is otherwise to use switches that are damped in the first place: such as Gateron Silent Red or Brown, Cherry MX Silent Red (also called "Pink"), or any of the several newer expensive boutique switches that are "silent" (that would probably set you back more than the whole GK61 did though). Those are not compatible with the optical version of the GK61 though.

There is a page in the Wiki about methods for damping but it is a bit outdated, lacking many new mods from the past few years. (Note that the article also mentions other types of switches/keyboards than just Cherry MX-style.)
Among several newer mods: "PCB foam", "switch pads" (not optical), "holee mod", "band-aid mod". (You can find many instructive videos on them on Youtube)
Keyboard modding and upgrades can be a really a deep rabbit-hole to fall down through if you're not careful, and some of those mods are really not that noticeable compared to the one you have already planned.
Unfortunately, the GK61 seems to be incompatible with most "standard" 60% parts out there, such as aftermarket cases and plates, because it has standoffs in different positions.
Last edited by Findecanor on 10 Sep 2021, 22:32, edited 3 times in total.

robo

10 Sep 2021, 22:25

This is not for everyone, but I am really pleased with the results of basically covering the back of the circuit board and filling the case of my CM Storm MX Brown board with this stuff: https://gesealants.com/products/advance ... h-sealant/

It's 100% silicone caulk, of a type that does not release electronics destroying acetic acid while curing.
The board is now very weighty and solid feeling, the typing sound is a wonderful 'thock-thock-thock' (not like Topre, but somewhat reminiscent), and it's basically totally transformed from the original rattly board.

Obvious downsides is that it's not exactly reversible, but it's much denser and heavier than foam, so the results are more dramatic.

Wazrach

10 Sep 2021, 23:42

You can get Gateron Optical Silent switches, but I don't really like them. Like the Optical Reds and Blacks I've tried, they have that same gross bottom-out feeling that I cannot describe. It's not hollowness or anything, it's like the slider catches on something if you press it off-center and bottom out. A bit like a tactile bump. It doesn't go with lube and might even be worse after that. I have never heard anyone else describe this but it completely ruins the switches for me.

Palatino

11 Sep 2021, 00:08

robo wrote:
This is not for everyone, but I am really pleased with the results of basically covering the back of the circuit board and filling the case of my CM Storm MX Brown board with this stuff: https://gesealants.com/products/advance ... h-sealant/

It's 100% silicone caulk, of a type that does not release electronics destroying acetic acid while curing.
The board is now very weighty and solid feeling, the typing sound is a wonderful 'thock-thock-thock' (not like Topre, but somewhat reminiscent), and it's basically totally transformed from the original rattly board.

Obvious downsides is that it's not exactly reversible, but it's much denser and heavier than foam, so the results are more dramatic.
I can’t vouch for its noise-dampening properties, but just this week I used some of this to reattach a heavy ceramic basin to the underside of a worktop, and it’s holding like a vice. Get some in, you can’t lose. Also suitable for Matilda-esque tricks like inserting into toothpaste tubes, Home Alone defences and more!

Findecanor

11 Sep 2021, 00:35

You could perhaps line the case with clear tape first to avoid the caulk sticking. Ordinary clear tape is made of polyethylene — and almost nothing sticks permanently to PE.
I have used this trick many times with epoxy and epoxy putty, but at smaller scale and I've never actually tried PE with silicone caulk.

The tape might be easier to get out afterwards if you first line the case with masking tape and then with packing tape, but then it would be harder to get a smooth surface.

KhalifaAdam

11 Sep 2021, 07:50

Findecanor wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 22:21
I looked up a few things quickly on the GK61 and compared with what I know.

I would choose the denser automotive foam. Or... first reinforce the bottom of the case with lengthwise ribs of some material epoxied to the bottom, to make the case more rigid.
You could find similar automotive damping foam also in stores for car accessories.

Next, I would put rubber O-rings on the standoffs that the PCB-plate sandwich rests on. I've heard that the GK61 uses 2.5mm screws (so you'd want O-rings with 2.5mm holes), but you might want to measure that to be sure. If you can't find thin O-rings, maybe you could punch holes in pieces of a rubber band or something.

The most effective method of damping is otherwise to use switches that are damped in the first place: such as Gateron Silent Red or Brown, Cherry MX Silent Red (also called "Pink"), or any of the several newer expensive boutique switches that are "silent" (that would probably set you back more than the whole GK61 did though). Those are not compatible with the optical version of the GK61 though.

There is a page in the Wiki about methods for damping but it is a bit outdated, lacking many new mods from the past few years. (Note that the article also mentions other types of switches/keyboards than just Cherry MX-style.)
Among several newer mods: "PCB foam", "switch pads" (not optical), "holee mod", "band-aid mod". (You can find many instructive videos on them on Youtube)
Keyboard modding and upgrades can be a really a deep rabbit-hole to fall down through if you're not careful, and some of those mods are really not that noticeable compared to the one you have already planned.
Unfortunately, the GK61 seems to be incompatible with most "standard" 60% parts out there, such as aftermarket cases and plates, because it has standoffs in different positions.
I would choose the denser automotive foam.
Are these good?:
https://www.banggood.com/12Pcs-3mm-Soun ... ds=search

https://www.banggood.com/12x12x1-Acoust ... mds=search

https://www.banggood.com/12Pcs-10mm-Sou ... mds=search

https://www.banggood.com/12Pcs-6mm-Soun ... mds=search
I chose Gateron Optical Silvers Its quiet smooth and cheaper than the optical yellows!
(And thocky)

Soo...
The standoffs are the spacers?
Sorry if i am stupid i just know quite low of mech keeb terms.
So on the poles sticking out that you place the pcb on and then screw in?
just put an o-ring around it?

https://www.banggood.com/150pcs-White-R ... ehouse=USA

This will do the job I think!
or just twist it and put it on! (ya know the twisty method on rubber bands. maybe it'll work on this)

Well thanks for the serious dedication & for the info!

KhalifaAdam

11 Sep 2021, 08:03

robo wrote:

I would have really liked to tried that but none of the shops there ship to Hungary
only Amazon.
But the arrival date on amazon is Oct 6 :(
But thank you for the response!

KhalifaAdam

11 Sep 2021, 08:08

Wazrach wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 23:42
You can get Gateron Optical Silent switches, but I don't really like them. Like the Optical Reds and Blacks I've tried, they have that same gross bottom-out feeling that I cannot describe. It's not hollowness or anything, it's like the slider catches on something if you press it off-center and bottom out. A bit like a tactile bump. It doesn't go with lube and might even be worse after that. I have never heard anyone else describe this but it completely ruins the switches for me.
Like in a membrane keeb. I know the exact grossness, like you cringe when it happens! :shock:

My old membie used to do something with the spacebar that like something catches and just skips 6mm and gross bottom-out.
EWW!! 🤢

Return to “Keyboards”