Unicomp New Model M Differences

RBithrey

13 Sep 2021, 14:56

Hey all,

Hope you're all well.

Just a query - picked up a New Model M a couple months back and just wondered what the differences are between this new and refreshed iteration and previous ones?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Reece.

sharktastica

13 Sep 2021, 15:03

Basically, just the outer casing. It's made with new moulds instead of decades-old ones that were prone to defects.

RBithrey

13 Sep 2021, 15:04

sharktastica wrote:
Basically, just the outer casing. It's made with new moulds instead of decades-old ones that were prone to defects.
Ah, cheers - I'd heard they'd used new tooling but just wanted some confirmation!

Thorogrimm

13 Sep 2021, 15:09

RBithrey wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 15:04
sharktastica wrote:
Ah, cheers - I'd heard they'd used new tooling but just wanted some confirmation!
I got one back in February, and it was pretty damn okay.

BrickedBoard

13 Sep 2021, 22:03

I just got one this week. The awful bright blue LED I saw in so many reviews has switched out for a much less blinding LED.

Overall great keyboard.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

13 Sep 2021, 23:31

Note that the case is a different design to the older ones as well - the newer one has a much smaller bezel, particularly around the top of the keyboard. If you look at your keyboard and compare it with a picture of a Unicomp Classic, or old IBM Model M, you should be able to see the difference.

The old Unicomp classic also had cutouts on the underside of the keyboard for drainage channels (this first appeared in Lexmark-made Model Ms). However, Unicomp stopped using drainage channels quite some time ago, so they weren’t really that useful in the Unicomp keyboards.

Return to “Keyboards”