Issues with a model F

cday7173

16 Sep 2021, 10:01

Hello everyone, I recently bought my first model F XT (after using m's/unicomps for years) and love everything about it...besides getting it to function. I bought a soarer's converter off ebay from Orihalcon and it worked perfectly for all of ten minutes, then the keyboard stopped functioning all together. I've tried all the basic troubleshooting ideas and am starting to get a bit frustrated. I originally thought that it might be the cord, but I checked with a multimeter and everything seems fine. HID listen gives me this:

wEE

remaining: FFFC

Keyboard ID: 0000
Code Set: 1
Mode: PC/XT

R05

So now it seems like the issue is either A: The controller is busted, B: the converter is busted, or C: I have no idea what I'm doing and I've made some basic mistake. I really would love to get this thing up and running as I find that I prefer the feel, if not the layout, to my model M.

Palatino

16 Sep 2021, 13:08

I feel your pain. There’s nothing like having something great for ten minutes and then having it snatched away. I’m sure someone here can help you. I too have one of those Orihalcon converters which has never let me down - they have a good reputation. As a starting point, do you have another PS2 or DIN keyboard you could try the converter with to rule it out as the source of the problem?

cday7173

16 Sep 2021, 13:39

I don't have any other DIN keyboards, but I do have a model M. I'm a little bit confused on how I would be able to test the soarer's on it though, but I'll take any help I can get! I actually reached out to Orihalcon directly and am waiting to see what he might have to say.

Weezer

16 Sep 2021, 13:48

You can test it with a passive PS/2 to 5 Pin DIN adapter.

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Sep 2021, 14:27

Weezer wrote:
But his Orihalcon cable only has a female DIN socket.

I am wondering whether the USB port in the computer is receiving the signal properly.

Weezer

16 Sep 2021, 14:31

fohat wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 14:27
Weezer wrote:
But his Orihalcon cable only has a female DIN socket.

I am wondering whether the USB port in the computer is receiving the signal properly.
Not sure what you mean? You adapt your PS/2 keyboard to the 5 Pin DIN and then plug it into the soarer's converter.

https://www.cableleader.com/6-din5-male ... hREALw_wcB

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Sep 2021, 14:39

Weezer wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 14:31

You adapt your PS/2 keyboard to the 5 Pin DIN and then plug it into the soarer's converter.
Oh, I see. You are talking about using the Model M to test everything else BUT the XT.

cday7173

17 Sep 2021, 04:51

Well, I was able to get a DIN to PS/2 adapter...the converter is just fine. It's looking more and more like a bad controller, perhaps one of the caps was on its last legs.

Any suggestions on what to do next? I actually paid a decent amount for this one as it's in fantastic cosmetic condition, so I'm not really willing to give up on it. As far as I can tell, I can either get another model F and cannibalize the parts on it or try something like this:

viewtopic.php?t=19522

But I think I'd be able to live without the bell.

CallmeJohn

17 Sep 2021, 06:58

I had this same error with my F XT and my issue was the USB port was just an extension and wasn't providing enough power. Try a USB port on your motherboard and see if it gives the same error.

cday7173

17 Sep 2021, 07:28

Was worth a shot, but unfortunately it's still giving me the same error.

fohat
Elder Messenger

17 Sep 2021, 15:16

CallmeJohn wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 06:58

just an extension and wasn't providing enough power.
As a general rule I use powered USB hubs rated at a strong amperage for any USB keyboard connection.

Jaki1122

19 Sep 2021, 05:30

Silly question... In what condition is your keyboard? Something worth doing always with old electronics, take it apart and check how are all the capacitors.
In the Model F is real easy just a couple of screws, careful when touching the PCB, they are somewhat fragile to static discharges, so touch the ground, mind net wearing anything that may easily get some electrostatic charge and touch the minimum. If you see som corrosion or some obese capacitors, look no further, you'll need to address that anyway. Post pictures if you want our opinion. If it lloks good, then test that converter elsewhere, even if using other protocols, being just a "translator" (doesn't directly read keystrokes or anything, just decodes what the keyboard sends) it will work on all supported protocols or it will not work at all. Black or white. Something in between is quite unlikely (although defenitely not impossible).

cday7173

22 Sep 2021, 20:53

I'm no expert on caps, but they looked fine to me, they were one of the first things I checked when it stopped working as I was afraid one might have popped (I've changed out the caps in old guitar amps where they're oozing, not fun). I wound up sending it back and took a chance on an "untested" one on ebay, it works perfectly (typing on it now) and was significantly cheaper. That rules out the converter, I also tried switching the cables, but that wasn't the issue either.

Also, are there model F's that have foam that doesn't degrade? The new one one's foam looks to be in way better shape, though it's obviously a later example. It also doesn`t have the obscenely heavy spacebar that the last one had, a plus in my book.

Muirium
µ

22 Sep 2021, 20:58

No heavy spacebar? Are both these keyboards you're on about XTs? They should always have a heavy spacebar, like it or not! Maybe someone's been inside and modded it.

Return to “Keyboards”