[SOLVED] Help needed, weird Dell AT101 key register/input

CaptainSillyGoose

30 Sep 2021, 00:09

Hello Deskthority community, I've been having this issue with my Dell AT101 keyboard and I've tried to research on my own about this issue but to no avail, so I'm wondering if some of you could help me as this is probably the best place to ask.

Whenever I try to press/hold down any key it will act as if I'm tapping the key extremely fast. This happens to all of my keys when testing. A good example of this is in this video with the Q, W & E keys (not my video):
My Dell AT101 Old Logo (GYI3PVAT101) is connected to a Belkin F5U119-E PS/2 to USB converter (linked on the Deskthority Wiki here: wiki/Belkin_F5U119) which is connected to my laptop running on Windows 10.

When trying to find a solution to this issue, I saw/tried multiple things such as: a keyboard having a FN+F5 toggle (which I'm not sure if this Dell has such a toggle feature), trying all of my USB ports and even a different computer, adjusting the 'Keyboard Properties' in the control panel with repeat delay and repeat rate, checking the Ease of Access Center for my keyboard on the control panel to make sure I did not have Sticky Keys enabled while also testing Filtered Keys, and checking to see if there were any driver updates that Windows could detect (which I'm not entirely sure if it is given that it's from 2006, but Windows says it's up to date: https://i.imgur.com/4sdBRZs.png & https://i.imgur.com/JKaoLwx.png). I should also note that all of my other USB keyboards work just fine, but when I try to hook up a different PS/2 keyboard to the converter the same hold tapping problem occurs, so I'm thinking that it could possibly be the Belkin converter that is causing the problem. I'm hesitant and clueless as to buying another converter when it comes to good or bad ones since I already did so with the Monoprice converter not even working at all, so any recommendations or if anyone who you might know who can make one would be helpful in diagnosing whether or not the Belkin is the cause. But this also could just be a driver issue, I'm not sure.
Last edited by CaptainSillyGoose on 31 Dec 2021, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

30 Sep 2021, 11:00

It is the Belkin. The same behaviour happens with multiple keyboards, not just your Dell. And the wiki page you linked to says it’s notoriously bad. It even spells it out: “trying another type of converter often resolves issues”, so I think you did indeed research your way to a solution. ;)

Buy one of Orihalcon’s Soarer’s converters. He sells them on eBay and around here for a lower price, I think. You may not like the price but a Soarer converter is essential equipment for really using vintage boards. And you’ll only ever need one.

CaptainSillyGoose

30 Sep 2021, 22:34

Alright I will send him a message and give an update if the issue has been resolved soon

CaptainSillyGoose

31 Dec 2021, 05:06

Orihalcon's converters just recently got restocked and had a chance to buy one. My Dell now seems to be working properly, indicating that the Belkin was indeed the cause of the problem. Thank you for the suggestion Muirium :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

31 Dec 2021, 12:47

CaptainSillyGoose wrote:
31 Dec 2021, 05:06
Thank you for the suggestion Muirium :mrgreen:
You're welcome. :ugeek:

Good to hear Orihalcon's still in the game.

Return to “Keyboards”