Alps wax mod - procedure & evaluation!

TNT

20 Oct 2021, 21:23

Sorry for singling you out like that, that was very wrong. It wasn't my intention, I meant to tell everyone involved I feel like all this hostile bullshit leads to nothing good. I also felt the need to let you know that imho your video was the wrong approach to this, but this was definitely not the right way. I didn't mean to tone police you, but I did + point fingers without even realizing. That was shitty. I apologize.
Last edited by TNT on 20 Oct 2021, 22:31, edited 3 times in total.

Myoth

20 Oct 2021, 21:25

TNT wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 20:40
But you know what? I still don't think he deserves all the shit he get's here. Before anyone calls me out for "sucking his dick", yes, the video deserves to be critized. But why don't just keep it at that? "Thomas, I think your wrong on this and your video could have been researched better. I think you should redo it, before more people get the wrong idea about boilwaxing."
It's not the first time he ignores any sort of criticism and discards it in one way or another. I personally very much understand the frustration.

Lalaland124

20 Oct 2021, 21:41

TNT wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 20:40
As much as I hate the general attitude here, I feel the need to write down something longer (compared to my usual short whining). The method clearly works, I think several people made that quite clear. No long time results yet, but transforming absolutely trashed switches into a near perfect state without the need for all those exotic greases/oils? Hell yeah. The original method is easy, that's why shallot's first video on it is so short, it's just a very simple process. Yeah, could have been a little bit more detailed here and there. Maybe. I agree that it was wrong from Chyros to disregard the method like that. It seems he had no trust in it beforehand, seems like he didn't put as much effort in it like he should, we don't really know.

But you know what? I still don't think he deserves all the shit he get's here. Before anyone calls me out for "sucking his dick", yes, the video deserves to be critized. But why don't just keep it at that? "Thomas, I think your wrong on this and your video could have been researched better. I think you should redo it, before more people get the wrong idea about boilwaxing." Why the need for this gigantic shitshow and namecalling? Shallot, I really like your content on your blog and your usual videos, into which you clearly put a lot of effort. No exception with Waxboil 2, but I still think you went too far with this one. Jezzuz kept it "professional" with his "response" video, in fact with all his responses, why couldn't you? Don't we have more important issues with this forum atm than to escalate this more or less minor issue so far? This thread and the YouTube comment sections are looking like a warzone. I know I've been wailing about it since this thread started, but all of this is so toxic to this community. I've not been here long enough to witness the "golden pioneer times" of DT, but today it feels more than ever like this forum and its community are on a downward spiral. Feels like there's just a bunch "of us" left, so the last thing we need right now is to divide this community further with all that spite and talk about "boomers" who were here before 2019 and the "disrespectful, angsty zoomer teens". First the soarer thread, now this. Like, Jesus, chill the fuck out everybody.
I totally agree. Criticizing people is good and needs to happen if you want to move things forward and as long as it's justified. Pointing fingers towards someone who started with a rather toxic language doesn't help the already bad atmosphere in this thread though. Choice of words makes a huge difference here. Everyone has the right to express their emotional frustration online, however If one's goal is to proof that a new discovery works, you won't get there by expressing how much the other person pissed you off and the other way around. In the end (I hope) that we all just want to know how well this method works, so I wouldn't see this as a 1v1 situation here but rather a collective effort to evaluate the waxing method and tweak it as much as possible. At least that's where the beauty of DT lies for me - that it doesn't matter who you are (angry teen or grim boomer), you can discuss and work on things together and make friends that are like twice your age (hey Mu :D )

Anyways, props to both parties - One for introducing people to this hobby/starting discussions and the other one for even coming up with this method.

soyuz

20 Oct 2021, 21:47

There seems to be a huge misconception in this thread that my video was coming at Chyros when it wasn't, and that I also did this because I was steaming mad or something. I wasn't. I just dealt with those comments with the respect they deserved. Anyone who's actually spoken to me knows that the video is dripping in irony.

Anyway, if people don't like those bits of the video, I put chapters on it from the start, so you can skip them. There's a reason I didn't pepper that stuff through the actual important bits of the video.

Muirium
µ

20 Oct 2021, 21:57

Lalaland124 wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 21:41
At least that's where the beauty of DT lies for me - that it doesn't matter who you are (angry teen or grim boomer), you can discuss and work on things together and make friends that are like twice your age (hey Mu :D )
<Checks profile. Sees literally true.> Hey Lala! :D

We’ve all got a vested interest in DT, and most all of us have an interest in Alps restoration too. I'm lucky: the Alps remaining in my collection are all in great shape, many of them NOS and some NIB. But the destiny of all Alps is to get old and grouchy, so I’ve my eye on this, for eventual use.

I’m especially interested to see how well this technique holds up in a daily driver, months or years use later. Same for multiple passes through the procedure, separated by realistic front line use.

I was skeptical about retrobright back in the day for the same reason. Day 1 impressions are nice but Day 365 and later is where you spend the rest of life.

TheInverseKey

20 Oct 2021, 22:18

Just buy NOS Alps switches

Muirium
µ

20 Oct 2021, 22:38

They’re still Alps, though. They age as gracefully as dairy. In time they’ll all need this.

thousandperfume

20 Oct 2021, 22:47

soyuz wrote:
I wasn't. I just dealt with those comments with the respect they deserved.
The best option is to block the ignorant comments and move on, believe me when I say these people are not willing to listen if they jump a bandwagon this easily. Stooping to their level isn't worth it, ironically or not, because it just throws off the others who were interested in the findings in the first place. It's why I said what I did. I can easily go to Reddit or Twitter if I want to come across "lol touch grass" types of overused memes, or some ironic Eurobeat tracks or whatever. I just like Alps and want to restore them. I'm actually really glad new methods are being discovered since it means people like them as much as I do.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying the specific waxes suggested in the videos. Though as said previously it would be nice to see if OG lube could still be replicated (even if it performs 'worse' or whatever, some people myself included are curious to see what pine alps with OG lube felt like before it dried out).

soyuz

20 Oct 2021, 23:42

unfortunately, my love for eurobeat is non-ironic and will continue to feature in future science videos, dunking or no dunking. soz.

lis0r

20 Oct 2021, 23:46

Muirium wrote:
19 Oct 2021, 13:39
Dunno why, and glad it's not the general mood of DT. :lol:
Poomplex.

mode1ace

20 Oct 2021, 23:54

Eurobeat is unironically good.

JP!

21 Oct 2021, 00:15

TheInverseKey wrote:
Just stick with buckling springs ;)

zrrion

21 Oct 2021, 02:06

inb4 waxboiled alps buckling springs

headphone_jack

21 Oct 2021, 02:42

I'm genuinely interested on the application of lube via heat now. Could legitimately be used to lightly grease springs to remove ping, buckling or otherwise. Next time I have some loose springs out I'll give it a go.

zrrion

21 Oct 2021, 02:51

I suspect wax on springs wouldn't be especially useful since it would probably flake off on the first few compressions, but other lubes might work well

hellothere

22 Oct 2021, 19:34

zrrion wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 02:51
I suspect wax on springs wouldn't be especially useful since it would probably flake off on the first few compressions, but other lubes might work well
I've been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting to ask, if lubricating springs for any kind of switch you can open is a good idea.

mode1ace

22 Oct 2021, 20:08

hellothere wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 19:34
I've been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting to ask, if lubricating springs for any kind of switch you can open is a good idea.
Depends how you feel about ping, lubing springs does reduce ping. I like a bit of ping, so it's not a good idea for me, but I understand why people do it.

hellothere

22 Oct 2021, 20:11

I kinda like ping, myself.

inozenz

22 Oct 2021, 20:28

TheInverseKey wrote:
Totally, like how hard can it be to find a warehouse full of 2400 no's brown green blue Alps keyboards...

zrrion

22 Oct 2021, 20:34

yeah, lubing springs is for weenies who don't like ping (or work in an office with weenies) ping is good, it's like your keyboard is singing to you.

T’Downit Strider

26 Oct 2021, 22:26

soyuz wrote:
There seems to be a huge misconception in this thread that my video was coming at Chyros when it wasn't, and that I also did this because I was steaming mad or something. I wasn't. I just dealt with those comments with the respect they deserved. Anyone who's actually spoken to me knows that the video is dripping in irony.

Anyway, if people don't like those bits of the video, I put chapters on it from the start, so you can skip them. There's a reason I didn't pepper that stuff through the actual important bits of the video.
The only thing I’d like to see added to the video-maybe in the description or something-is the ratio of wax to water that you use in the boil-with-wax step. I can see myself adding too much or too little, and screwing it up. That would be the last piece to make the process accessible to anyone.

soyuz

26 Oct 2021, 23:36

T’Downit Strider wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 22:26
soyuz wrote:

The only thing I’d like to see added to the video-maybe in the description or something-is the ratio of wax to water that you use in the boil-with-wax step. I can see myself adding too much or too little, and screwing it up. That would be the last piece to make the process accessible to anyone.
This will be in the next video

micmil

27 Oct 2021, 00:46

Jesus Cockgargling Jones on a fucking rainbow-painted moped this is the dumbest fucking thread I've seen on this forum in like fifteen minutes or so.

"You didn't do the exact thing, therefore results are invalid!" Or maybe the thing just doesn't fucking work for every fucking set of fucking switches you fuckwitted dildobasters, because why the fuck would it?

Or maybe it doesn't work, full stop, and you're delusional?

Or maybe there's some sort of ultra-specific grade of wax that's needed for it to work properly?

Ooh, can we get a 300+ page "ALPS WAX FOUND!" thread breaking down every type of wax that exists along with its efficacy and applicability in this scenario?

I hate this place so much.

You guys are the best.

soyuz

27 Oct 2021, 01:09

micmil wrote:
Jesus Cockgargling Jones on a fucking rainbow-painted moped this is the dumbest fucking thread I've seen on this forum in like fifteen minutes or so.

"You didn't do the exact thing, therefore results are invalid!" Or maybe the thing just doesn't fucking work for every fucking set of fucking switches you fuckwitted dildobasters, because why the fuck would it?

Or maybe there's some sort of ultra-specific grade of wax that's needed for it to work properly?

Ooh, can we get a 300+ page "ALPS WAX FOUND!" thread breaking down every type of wax that exists along with its efficacy and applicability in this scenario?

You guys are the best.
personally i get all my restoration tips from several large bottles of cough syrup

TNT

27 Oct 2021, 01:10

The arguments just were over. Don't start this again. Unless you were trying to troll, in that case top kek 10/10

kelvinhall05

27 Oct 2021, 01:20

micmil wrote:

You guys are the best.
new copypasta just dropped

Lucid

27 Oct 2021, 02:32

soyuz wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 01:09
micmil wrote:

You guys are the best.
personally i get all my restoration tips from several large bottles of cough syrup
Dxm…finally, a fellow connoisseur

micmil

27 Oct 2021, 03:25

TNT wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 01:10
The arguments just were over. Don't start this again. Unless you were trying to troll, in that case top kek 10/10
ya theenk?

TNT

27 Oct 2021, 13:35

kelvinhall05 wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 01:20

new copypasta just dropped
And it's the second one in this thread. We can have a full on conversation with these.

headphone_jack

27 Oct 2021, 16:16

micmil wrote:

You guys are the best.
did you even watch any of the videos?

Return to “Keyboards”