Keyboard case terminology

timw4mail

14 Oct 2021, 17:14

Most rubber dome, and older mechanical keyboards have a top cover with cutouts for blocks of keys.

The style of newer mechanical keyboards tends to be that the switch backplate is the top cover of the keyboard.

Are there terms for these different case styles?

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2021, 19:37

I’ve heard the modern kind termed “open topped” but there’s no definitive term I know of that’s stuck.

As for why the change: my theory is the open topped look, with the switches always on view, is both more gamer / exposed industrial innards aesthetic *and* makes the keyboards look thinner than a wraparound outer case.

I don’t mind it, but I don’t prefer it. A good case can really top off a keyboard’s style.

Findecanor

14 Oct 2021, 20:52

timw4mail wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 17:14
The style of newer mechanical keyboards tends to be that the switch backplate is the top cover of the keyboard.
"Floating keys". Used by many manufacturers to describe their keyboards, and not just by the community.

As for a term for the "traditional" way of designing a keyboard case, I dunno ...

BTW. If there is a bezel around the blocks of keys but it is the same part as the plate, then that is called "integrated plate".

paperWasp

14 Oct 2021, 22:07

Thanks for the education. I've always wondered if the "floating keys" is just a "fashion" or does it have some relevant benefits like easier cleaning?

timw4mail

14 Oct 2021, 22:24

paperWasp wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 22:07
Thanks for the education. I've always wondered if the "floating keys" is just a "fashion" or does it have some relevant benefits like easier cleaning?
I don't know about ease of cleaning, but it does mean there's less tendency to echo and amplify the sound of the switches.

On the flipside, I'm sure that echo can actually deepen the sound of the switches.

Return to “Keyboards”