Fixing IBM Model F AT "WEIRD" SPACEBAR

QWERTZ_

15 Oct 2021, 14:41

Hello, recently I purchased IBM Model F AT, I already had F XT before. After trying the F AT, I noticed the Spacebar feels different and "weird" to me, so I'm posting this hoping to find some insight regarding my spacebar.

The video to the Spacebar issue is : https://youtu.be/nmipoWqj8ik

So the issue on the Spacebar is as following :
1. The spacebar on my F AT feels like there's two "tactile" bump to it (you can kindly check the youtube video for the example)
2. The spacebar makes unpleasant noise, unlike the sweet thump on my F XT
3. It feels way stiffer than my F XT spacebar

So, is this normal in the F AT? (I think not, checked several youtube vids and their spacebar is much more pleasant). What might have seems to be the problem? I'm a newbie, so don't have the courage to take apart the keyboard

Hopefully someone can help me with this, as the issue has been bugging me to death :(
Thanks everybody, cheers from Indonesia

SOTGO

16 Oct 2021, 19:15

I agree that this isn't the normal behavior of the spacebar, but unfortunately model F spacebars can be quite difficult to work on. I think there is a chance that reseating the spring will fix the issue, but removing the spacebar keycap is quite annoying and may require a full disassembly. You can reattach the spacebar without disassembly using string, but this requires drilling a small hole and following the process documented here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41059.0

Karmel

17 Oct 2021, 00:41

SOTGO wrote:
You can reattach the spacebar without disassembly using string, but this requires drilling a small hole and following the process documented here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41059.0
You could also use this method.

QWERTZ_

17 Oct 2021, 04:38

SOTGO wrote:
I agree that this isn't the normal behavior of the spacebar, but unfortunately model F spacebars can be quite difficult to work on. I think there is a chance that reseating the spring will fix the issue, but removing the spacebar keycap is quite annoying and may require a full disassembly. You can reattach the spacebar without disassembly using string, but this requires drilling a small hole and following the process documented here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41059.0
Thank you for the advice, might be a man and open up this sweet boi! Wish me luck!

Muirium
µ

17 Oct 2021, 15:38

Good luck! Even the case can be a bit tight to get inside, as I found out for myself. Also, once you're into the barrel plate sandwich: beware of the condition of your foam. It's often very crumbly. You probably want to replace it.

Getting used to delving inside your Model Fs is definitely a good thing to practice. You'll be back! :lol:

QWERTZ_

18 Oct 2021, 11:30

Muirium wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 15:38
Good luck! Even the case can be a bit tight to get inside, as I found out for myself. Also, once you're into the barrel plate sandwich: beware of the condition of your foam. It's often very crumbly. You probably want to replace it.

Getting used to delving inside your Model Fs is definitely a good thing to practice. You'll be back! :lol:
Oh man, this is really helpful, it's funny you've been in the same situation as me long long time ago :lol:
How does the bad boi doing now? You still use it?

Muirium
µ

18 Oct 2021, 11:42

Aye, I do indeed! The board cleaned up real nice, and is among my best feeling and most usable to this day. Let's find a recent pic…

viewtopic.php?p=484834#p484834

Once you're inside, you can modify the layout a bit. I mixed up the numpad so I could have TKL-style arrow keys, and I split Big Ass Enter into ANSI Return and HHKB style Backspace, as I like on my keyboards. You just need to have the right caps available, and enough flippers.

My cable was really janky so I replaced it with a USB C port on the back of the case. I used to run the keyboard with an internal Soarer's converter, but I recently pulled out the original controller and installed an Xwhatsit Model F controller running Pandrew's QMK instead, just like my Kishsaver. The USB C port is a simple internally mounted female C to male micro USB cable, glued in place. A similar trick I did to my NMB. Centrally mounted USB C ports work really nicely on these big boards, especially for clumsy sorts like me who forget just how long those original cords can be!

A bigger mod I'd kinda like to do someday is “the ANSI mod” where you swap out the loooooong spacebar for a Model M spacebar plus two extra mods, like this:

The AT actually has the sense pads for those two extra keys, they're just dormant. This mod requires drilling the plate, so it's more demanding than anything I've done. And I actually quite like the extra heavy AT spacebar feeling, anyway. Those two extra mods would sure be nice, though.

fohat
Elder Messenger

19 Oct 2021, 00:11

Muirium wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 11:42

those two extra keys, they're just dormant.
This mod requires drilling the plate
I have done the mod, it is a very good way to go. It takes only middling Dremel skill, cutting out two half-circles a half inch in diameter in metal and some trivial plastic cuts (none of which need to be "clean" and are not visible in the re-assembled keyboard).

I have always wondered why IBM set up those locations, from what I have heard they never actually made any keyboards that utilized them. But apparently those engineers put in a lot of potential Easter eggs "just because" ....

Is that Lenin looking at us from your numpad?

timw4mail

19 Oct 2021, 15:36

fohat wrote:
19 Oct 2021, 00:11
I have always wondered why IBM set up those locations, from what I have heard they never actually made any keyboards that utilized them. But apparently those engineers put in a lot of potential Easter eggs "just because" ....
A realistic reason: they had planned to add extra keys, but they were nixed, and it was cheaper to use the board revision with the extra pads than design a new one.

The Model F series was cost-reduced compared to the beam-spring keyboards, but these were not loss-leader peripherals like keyboards and mice are these days.

Muirium
µ

19 Oct 2021, 16:13

Exactly. Design one PCB which supports both layouts, it just makes sense, and gives us a sweet mod, decades later!

As for Lenin, you are quite correct, comrade…
Spoiler:

Rayndalf

22 Oct 2021, 02:36

They got so much mileage out of the Datamaster/5291/F XT assembly and wanted to have more options for later boards using the AT PCB. I don't think they expected to adopt the M so soon after the F AT.

Return to “Keyboards”