Opinion on speed silverswitches (Hyperx keyb)

tape_artist

18 Oct 2021, 17:19

I would kindly like to request an assistance. I am a semi proud owner of one Cherry g84 keyb, and I am thinking about exchanging it for one hyperx keyboard with speed silver switches.

The problem is that I never had any experience with speed silver switches (or any Kailh made to be more precise). Anybody has them? How do they treat you? Do you accidentally actuate?

This g84 has not been too long with me, and I really can't decide do I hate it or love it. It sticks bad, but it's my fastest typing keyboard (consistently). It really sux the hairy a**hole for playing dirt rally because of bad key rollover (non existent to be more precise), but it's magnificent for fps games (very snappy and responsive).
Last edited by tape_artist on 25 Oct 2021, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

SunshineRag_DT

20 Oct 2021, 17:10

The ability or friendliness of a switch is pretty personal to how you type, what you are trying to do, and what you are used to. Speed Switches are usually 40g-50g and actuate at 1.2mm or less. This is pretty hair trigger, for me at least, and I personally would have accidental keypresses based on the way I type. And they are linear and light so it is easy to slam them down and bottom out. But some people swear by them for gaming as the key should respond/actuate "quicker" with the 1.2mm of travel vs 2mm of travel. If you have quick, controlled finger reflexes maybe this will improve your game but daily typing it would be a nightmare (for me at least).

In general the right switch for you is the one you like the best. You usually dont know that till you try a few. If you can before you buy hook up the HyperX and do a typing and game test with your friend and see how it feels.

Muirium
µ

20 Oct 2021, 22:02

Exactly. Try before you buy. In fact, the trying is often the most fun part!

Even a simple switch tester will give you more of a sense than anything you could read. But there’s nothing better than trying a real keyboard before you commit to it for life. :D

tape_artist

23 Oct 2021, 13:45

Thank you all for the opinions. Unfortunately distance between me and the other person makes the trying out part uneconomical.

Decided in the end that I will spray lube this Cherry board, to make it a bit smoother, because the switches look really tricky to open up without causing bad damage to them (found the perfect lube which doesn't kill boards, only makes them a bit greasy).

Only need to find out which screw driver I need to open up the Cherry board...

Muirium
µ

23 Oct 2021, 14:30

Once you've done that, try a switch tester. They're cheap and easily sourced. This wasn't always the case! Used to be much harder to try before you buy.

paperWasp

23 Oct 2021, 16:51

I'm not sure if a switch tester can really tell you 'this or that switch will be great for my fast typing". Only a typing experience on a real keyboard for some time can tell you that for sure.

Even a single review can't tell you that. According to KeebWorks, Kailh brown is valued 6/10 for typing while Cherry MX Brown only 4/10 for typing. These are my 'daily drivers' (work/home) and I'd say just the opposite.

I think mass user reviews (like on Amazon) can help you avoid some future problems (if mentioned by a relevant number of reviewers). Reading a larger number of them may take some time but it's probably better than buying and re-selling a thing with a loss.

SK-8K

23 Oct 2021, 19:24

With Speed Silver you will bottom out too early and hurt your fingers. I'd just get normal reds or yellows.
If I'm paying for a full-travel keyboard, I'm using the full travel.

Shorle

25 Oct 2021, 01:23

OP is used to the shallow travel of Cherry ML switches, so speed silver might be his cup of tea after all.
Keep us updated, tape_artist.

tape_artist

25 Oct 2021, 18:33

SK-8K wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 19:24
With Speed Silver you will bottom out too early and hurt your fingers. I'd just get normal reds or yellows.
If I'm paying for a full-travel keyboard, I'm using the full travel.
Well in most cases this would be a correct statement. However, since I had the pleasure of learning 10 finger typing in high school on a purely mechanical typewriter, the keyboards are the ones that get hurt from my fingers :) Imagine needing 200+ grams of actuation force + taking exams in the dark...
Shorle wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 01:23
OP is used to the shallow travel of Cherry ML switches, so speed silver might be his cup of tea after all.
Keep us updated, tape_artist.
I wouldn't say that I'm used to them, but they feel somewhat natural. Normally I would prefer a full travel keyb, but recently I've discovered that low profile keyboards are much easier on the wrists, when used 10 hours a day.

My favorite keyboard by far has always been (God rest it's soul) IBM Netvista keyboard, the fun time we had together (2000h UT, 2500h COD 2, 2900h COD 4), which was unfortunately destroyed by me while washing it under the shower :oops:

Back on topic. I've decided against the switch only because I've read somewhere that speed silver switches have annoyingly high actuation mark (which would be a problem from me since I'm a heavy hitter). Immediately the lubing process started. Thought about taking some photos of but there is no point because cherry made this keyboard in really the cheapest possible way: Top shell, bottom shell, and a pcb in between. Although one could argue that this new trend of gasket mount keyboards feels very much similar to simple pcb mount.... Guess cherry has some idea what some persons would like.

Spraying was done with multi plus 7 spray (it's for lubing, cleaning of rusty screws, contact spray, etc.). Beside switches I also drenched the pcb (why not while I'm at it:). The pcb was left to dry by the heater for a day and a half. After which I assembled it.

Writing this text right now on it. This process has removed almost all binding on the keys (there is still some on left shift, which might get fixed by a second lube pass) which is utmost positive. However, the negative is that the keys feel more like regular browns. They still are more tactile, but they have somewhat lost their sharp bump (now it's more rounded). This is just my first impression. And I will revert back with further info, after everything settles in.

From the length of this post one would probably say that I actually fancy typing on this board.

Return to “Keyboards”