Recommended F77 Extras, other than the Repair Kit?

vim

30 Oct 2021, 18:05

Hi Everyone!

Excited to place an order for Ellipse's F77 repro and a Repair Kit.

For those using the F77 daily, did you get any extras beside the repair kit?
Wondering if I should add a bunch of barrels, flipper/springs, stabilizers, etc to keep it running indefinitely.

Your experience and input is appreciated.
Thanks!

wobbled

30 Oct 2021, 18:27

I dont think you'll be disappointed with the model f reproductions!

As for extras, do consider picking up some extra flippers and springs though I doubt you'll ever need them for repairs.
Other than that consider getting some of the clear relegendable keycaps - very useful for if you have macros set on keys or to label your fn key.
And finally pick up a nice custom coiled cable!

vim

30 Oct 2021, 23:02

Thanks for the encouragement! Now I have to figure out off-white/beige or industrial gray!

Muirium
µ

01 Nov 2021, 14:57

I'd like to get a few keys—a good ANSI Return especially but front printed HHKB caps would be nice for my OG Kishsaver, and maybe those SSK or Mopar blues—but they're real pricey. The order page is messy for specifics, too.

Where's 7bot when you need him? :)

wobbled

01 Nov 2021, 19:04

For more 'custom orders' just drop Joe an email, he's always seen me right in the past when I've contacted him directly. Though I imagine he's a fair bit busier these days.

vim

01 Nov 2021, 20:11

I'm sure he does have his hands full, but true to his reputation he took care of me right away.

Muirium
µ

02 Nov 2021, 10:06

Asking around, I’ve heard good and bad reports about him. Mileage may vary.

I mean, I can cut a lot of slack for GBs the scale of this. 7bit was terrible with all his fake deadlines! But I couldn’t help but like the guy, knowing how buried his apartment was with untold thousands of arbitrary caps. Nightmare! Ultimately, his heart was in the right place. He always fixed his mistakes and gave back to the community.

The trouble with selling at top dollar is customers rightly feel ripped off with anything less than an outstanding experience. The flaky paint and misalignment on these keyboards is not such an experience. The caps seem less blighted by slack quality control, but I’m looking at these prices (and long range shipping) and thinking more than twice about ordering any of them. How would I resolve a lousy fit, or a bad legend? People seem to be just lumping such errors in their goods, as part of the group think of the group buy. I’m not up for that, not at this price.

Return to “Keyboards”