Just got a 1986 version Model M with no cables - could I get cable advice please?

Reprobate

15 Nov 2021, 06:10

Hello, first post here!

Hoping for some advice, I managed to get a decent looking 1986 Model M (manufactured pretty much on the day I was born too which made me want it even more!) - it's basically parts as it has no cable, but it looks to be a decent UK layout.

Cost me £80 which I am hoping wasn't too much, this is my first attempt at vintage IBM and I have read the square logo is the best quality, plus it's UK which I really wanted.

This is my first post here, but I know this is the forum where I am best asking about vintage models of this age, I can see the port connector but at this age it won't be PS/2 ?

It is a 1389969 and that apparrently was not for PCs, so I will need some kind of conversion, and also the original cable, this could be tricky!

Can anyone advise me what cable(s) I would need to get this up and running? Looking at the condition I assume it isn't broken as I bought it from a company that sells off business assets and they have no methods to test.

Any advice would be appreciated on this, and thanks!
Attachments
Screenshot_47.png
Screenshot_47.png (1.46 MiB) Viewed 8462 times

depletedvespene

15 Nov 2021, 10:38

This seems to be a PC keyboard, not a terminal keyboard (the non-split numpad+ and the printed legends on the modifiers and the numpad indicate so). Therefore, this unit should have an SDL port:
SDL plug, keyboard-side.
SDL plug, keyboard-side.
sdl.png (114.06 KiB) Viewed 8412 times
and take a (get ready for this) SDL cable. Unicomp still sells SDL-to-PS/2 cables: https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/1397449 and so does Clicky Keyboards: https://www.clickykeyboards.com/product ... rd-cables/ . You'll find them on eBay as well.

Another option would be to get an SDL-to-USB Soarer's Converter cable, like the ones Orihalcon makes and sells (see https://www.ebay.com/itm/282933562080/ for an example — do NOT get this one, though, as it's for a different kind of connector). Orihalcon is a DT member, so you can contact him directly.

HTH!

depletedvespene

15 Nov 2021, 10:49

The P/N 1389969 indicates that, indeed, this is a PC Model M keyboard, with the English (UK) national layout. It indeed, looks like all its keycaps are original. The keyboard lacks lock lights because it was sold as a keyboard replacement for PC XT keyboards, but it should nevertheless work "out-of-the-box" with another computer.

The part number also indicates this is an early unit, too. At £80, it's a good price it the keyboard is in full working order, which should be the case (and if not, repairs should be easy). You'll surely get questions of the "Where did you get it? Are there any more of those?" kind; if we may ask, what is the mfg. date on the back label?

Reprobate

15 Nov 2021, 12:27

depletedvespene wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 10:38
This seems to be a PC keyboard, not a terminal keyboard (the non-split numpad+ and the printed legends on the modifiers and the numpad indicate so). Therefore, this unit should have an SDL port:

sdl.png

and take a (get ready for this) SDL cable. Unicomp still sells SDL-to-PS/2 cables: https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/1397449 and so does Clicky Keyboards: https://www.clickykeyboards.com/product ... rd-cables/ . You'll find them on eBay as well.

Another option would be to get an SDL-to-USB Soarer's Converter cable, like the ones Orihalcon makes and sells (see https://www.ebay.com/itm/282933562080/ for an example — do NOT get this one, though, as it's for a different kind of connector). Orihalcon is a DT member, so you can contact him directly.

HTH!

Thanks very much for the advice. It does in fact have the port as you indicated. I am very happy to hear it was in fact for the PC, from my reading on here I got concerned it wasn't. I think I will likely get both cable options, I will get the Unicomp one first just to make sure it works, thanks for this advice, I am really glad it wasn't a massive conversion needed on my first vintage IBM, save that for when I have a bit more IBM knowledge!

Thanks again!

Reprobate

15 Nov 2021, 12:35

depletedvespene wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 10:49
The P/N 1389969 indicates that, indeed, this is a PC Model M keyboard, with the English (UK) national layout. It indeed, looks like all its keycaps are original. The keyboard lacks lock lights because it was sold as a keyboard replacement for PC XT keyboards, but it should nevertheless work "out-of-the-box" with another computer.

The part number also indicates this is an early unit, too. At £80, it's a good price it the keyboard is in full working order, which should be the case (and if not, repairs should be easy). You'll surely get questions of the "Where did you get it? Are there any more of those?" kind; if we may ask, what is the mfg. date on the back label?
Again, thanks! Dated 30-09-1986, but this was the only one I saw and even with my limited knowledge I know the square logo was the best build quality - rather than a brand new one this sounds way better. Now to get the cable ordered!

Good to hear its repairable if not too, your advice on this has been invaluable, thank you!

Palatino

15 Nov 2021, 22:13

I have a new old stock IBM SDL to PS2 cable I could sell you to save you some time and money ordering a cable from Unicomp (I’m in the UK too).

Reprobate

16 Nov 2021, 00:34

Palatino wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 22:13
I have a new old stock IBM SDL to PS2 cable I could sell you to save you some time and money ordering a cable from Unicomp (I’m in the UK too).
Hello, yes if you don't mind that would be amazing, I will shoot you over a message, hope that's ok!

Edit: Just saw your message!

Reprobate

18 Nov 2021, 17:01

It looks pretty decent! Needs a good clean though. Can't confirm if it works yet with no cable, but it looks promising!
-
DSC_0424.JPG
DSC_0424.JPG (3.89 MiB) Viewed 8151 times
DSC_0426.JPG
DSC_0426.JPG (3.97 MiB) Viewed 8151 times
DSC_0430.JPG
DSC_0430.JPG (3.44 MiB) Viewed 8151 times
DSC_0431.JPG
DSC_0431.JPG (4.37 MiB) Viewed 8151 times
DSC_0433.JPG
DSC_0433.JPG (4.64 MiB) Viewed 8151 times

Weezer

18 Nov 2021, 17:11

Yeah I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Just needs an SDL cable.

Reprobate

18 Nov 2021, 17:44

Weezer wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 17:11
Yeah I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Just needs an SDL cable.
Thanks that's good to hear, can't wait to plug it in

digital_matthew

18 Nov 2021, 18:09

Nice. Looks like it still has most of the rivets too. I have the same model from the same year, and it's one of the best feeling Model Ms I've ever typed on. Enjoy!

Reprobate

18 Nov 2021, 18:39

digital_matthew wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 18:09
Nice. Looks like it still has most of the rivets too. I have the same model from the same year, and it's one of the best feeling Model Ms I've ever typed on. Enjoy!
Yes I got quite lucky I think, when I opened it just a couple of rivets fell out and one plastic tab which I will fix back on. And thanks! It's my first Model M so I started with one of the best!

Reprobate

18 Nov 2021, 22:17

Clean up time, funny it looked immaculate, but there is a cleaning company sticker on the side, so I think it was just routinely cleaned on the surface.
-
Screenshot_50.png
Screenshot_50.png (3.98 MiB) Viewed 8036 times
DSC_0446.JPG
DSC_0446.JPG (3.73 MiB) Viewed 8036 times

Reprobate

25 Nov 2021, 17:05

Want to say a massive thanks to user Palatino who welcomed me to the community and even got me going with the cable I needed, thanks again mate thanks to you I am typing on this thing right now!
Attachments
DSC_0456.JPG
DSC_0456.JPG (3.76 MiB) Viewed 7918 times

Muirium
µ

26 Nov 2021, 12:00

Palatino's a sterling bloke indeed. Nice Model M you got there! :D

Reprobate

27 Nov 2021, 05:00

Muirium wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 12:00
Palatino's a sterling bloke indeed. Nice Model M you got there! :D
Thanks! I'd never even tried one before this, only makes me want to try even more vintage boards now

fohat
Elder Messenger

27 Nov 2021, 18:07

Reprobate wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 05:00

makes me want to try even more vintage boards now
Sometimes we forget how significant "I/O peripherals" were in the early days of computing, and how much effort manufacturers put into them.

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2021, 18:41

Input, sure. Output though? You prefer vintage displays and printers too? I sure don’t! :lol:

Keyboards are honestly the *only* hardware that’s gotten worse over the years and decades. Everything else was atrocious because it’s all they could build back then. Keyboards though: solved problem. The only way forward was ruining them.

depletedvespene

02 Feb 2022, 01:49

Muirium wrote:
Input, sure. Output though? You prefer vintage displays and printers too? I sure don’t! :lol:

Keyboards are honestly the *only* hardware that’s gotten worse over the years and decades. Everything else was atrocious because it’s all they could build back then. Keyboards though: solved problem. The only way forward was ruining them.
Someone seems to have forgotten the monitor chasm we lived in during 2007-2011. LCD monitors started to get better from 2012 onwards, but during those dreadful years, older CRTs in good shape we highly sought after, especially by those for whom color callibration was a must.

(the rest of your point stands, though)

Bjerrk

02 Feb 2022, 07:25

Muirium wrote:
Keyboards are honestly the *only* hardware that’s gotten worse over the years and decades.
What about vintage memory? Nothing like viewing your data through rose-coloured RAM-blocks. Even unsigned integers were better back then. Oh, the memories ...

Muirium
µ

02 Feb 2022, 09:37

We used to pay more for it because it was better! (And there was a thousand times less of it… whatd’ya gonna do? That fancy World Wide Web browser needs at least 2 Megabytes all by itself. Bloatware nowadays!)

Bjerrk

02 Feb 2022, 11:10

It's even more rose-coloured than I remembered

Muirium
µ

02 Feb 2022, 11:12

Plasma: a glimpse of the future! For a while.

If the Macintosh Portable had one of those, good grief, I'd be using one now!

Return to “Keyboards”