What is this layout called?

polemon

20 Nov 2021, 14:23

Hi, so I recently came across this Keyboard:

What is that layout called? They call it "TKL" on the Havit website, but it's obviously not TKL, as it quite obviously has the numpad right where you'd normally expect edit and movement keys.
It's also not "navless" since it has the arrow keys.

Other than this rather fresh take on a "85%" keyboard, it's nothing to write home about: it's a $50 keyboard, with red Jianxi linear reds and PBT caps and LEDs only under the numpad for some reason (not RGB, just a backlit numpad).

I'm asking because I wanna know, if there were other keyboards available with that layout. I couldn't find anything in the Wiki, however I find this layout quite appealing. I could see myself making a keyboard with a layout like that.

depletedvespene

20 Nov 2021, 14:50

Definitely not a TKL. Can't call it "six of one, half a dozen of the other" either, because it's actually four and eleven. I'd call this thing a "hybrid" and leave it at that, hoping it won't catch on (although someone will surely try to "improve" on it by adding an F13 key).

It does not escape notice that the arrow keys don't have any Fn legends, although I'd expect them to cover the HUDE absence, and that the tertiary-layer alphas are printed inconsistently.

EDIT: that space bar is practically screaming "there should be a light below me". Has it got that?

vvp

20 Nov 2021, 15:04

That space bar should be a remapable split space bar :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

20 Nov 2021, 16:33

All spacebars should be remappable split spacebars. Even the HHKB could well use it.

As for the name of that layout: Ten nav-less? TKL for mouse lovers? Page Down! Call for backup! One thing I know: I wouldn't like it.

depletedvespene

20 Nov 2021, 16:42

Muirium wrote:
All spacebars should be remappable split spacebars. Even the HHKB could well use it.
I've mentioned before that all physical layouts <=75% ought to sport a split space bar. On TKL and upwards, is a nice to have but not strictly necessary feature.
Muirium wrote:
As for the name of that layout: Ten nav-less? TKL for mouse lovers? Page Down! Call for backup! One thing I know: I wouldn't like it.
"Phonarrow layout", as in it "has the numbers as if it were a phone, plus a bunch of arrows below". The word "phonarrow" sounds ugly and incomplete, which is fitting for an ugly and incomplete layout.

Come to think of it, it's in this weird space where is larger than a 75% and smaller than a (true) TKL. So the question of the split space bar falls into a gray area... again, fitting, given the space bar in this particular keyboard is gray.

polemon

23 Nov 2021, 15:23

Ah well, too bad you guys don't like it.
The only other layout that kinda falls into the same sort of area would be the 1800 layout, with a complete numpad, but less horizontal space. I was kinda thinking of this as a reduced 1800, with the numpad in place of the movement keys of a TKL.

Having the 2u wide "NK_0" though, doesn't make that much sense to me, tbh. Not with the numpad in that position, right above the arrow keys anyways.
depletedvespene wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 14:50
It does not escape notice that the arrow keys don't have any Fn legends, although I'd expect them to cover the HUDE absence, and that the tertiary-layer alphas are printed inconsistently.
It's a cheap, crappy keyboard. I'm only interested in the layout as a concept.
EDIT: that space bar is practically screaming "there should be a light below me". Has it got that?
Apparently no. The little gray line is apparently just printed on, like a key legend. According to the description only the numpad is backlit by like three white LEDs. But I haven't read it all through, as I said before, I'm only interested in the layout as a concept.

Jan Pospisil

23 Nov 2021, 16:25

Hey, I like that layout. Would definitely use it. Kinda like the 1800, but less crowded.

vvp

23 Nov 2021, 17:14

@polemon: That layout is completely garbage just like most standard keyboards for me personally. But it does not matter what we like. I matters what you like.

Menuhin

25 Nov 2021, 12:37

This layout takes up just 1 less column than the 1800 layout / fc980 layout does but that makes the numpad much less useful for those who really need a numpad. I personally don't use a numpad and I can go with the 75% comfortably if I need the nav keys and the F keys.

Nice attempt though.

Return to “Keyboards”