Unknown keyboard

onip3k

27 Nov 2021, 04:09

Hello community, does anyone know what kind of keyboard this is?
Attachments
4lZnwuf.png
4lZnwuf.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 4668 times

SK-8K

27 Nov 2021, 04:22

HP KU-1156

onip3k

27 Nov 2021, 04:25

thank you!!!!

onip3k

27 Nov 2021, 14:11

SK-8K wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 04:22
HP KU-1156
Is it a good keyboard? I mean, it has soft and quiet typing, well done, durable?
It is comparable to Microsoft 600 or Dell KB522?

SK-8K

27 Nov 2021, 16:45

Stock it is nothing special, it uses rubber domes over membrane. It will still beat those other two keyboards though.

onip3k

27 Nov 2021, 18:10

Wow good to know. I'm just looking for a silent and comfortable one to use at night. My mechanic is a pain in the ass when it comes to noise

Palatino

27 Nov 2021, 18:19

Dell Quietkeys live up to their name and have pretty nice-feeling rubber domes if you get a chance to pick one up.

hellothere

27 Nov 2021, 18:32

Silenced Topre :D

If you don't have $300 or so lying around, it's hard to go wrong with a BTC 51-series dome with slider. I bet I could find a nice looking one on ebay for under $30.

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2021, 18:39

How deep is your mush? ;)

Rubber domes get a baaad name because of the conductive membrane necessity to mush them out to actually get a key press. Pretty much The Reason people get into mechanical keyswitches in the first place.

Capsense fixes that, of course. No such thing in a Quietkey though. Hence the price delta.

SK-8K

27 Nov 2021, 18:49

My new daily driver is a modified Compaq KB-0133 with I-Rocks silent tactile switches. They feel pretty nice and are quiet but are a pain to find keyboards with them in it. Right now I am building a KU-0316 with the same switches if you are interested.

Palatino

27 Nov 2021, 19:35

Palatino wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 18:19
Dell Quietkeys live up to their name and have pretty nice-feeling rubber domes if you get a chance to pick one up.
- to clarify, this was a suggestion based on assumptions about your budget from the low-priced rubber dome HP you posted originally! I’m not recommending it as a Great Keyboard. However, they are cheap and easily obtainable second-hand, and I enjoy using them when I want something quiet and relaxing at the end of the day. But if you’re willing to spend more, there are certainly quieter boards or more pleasurable boards or both. Budget is the biggest factor, really.

onip3k

27 Nov 2021, 20:47

Dell Quietkeys seems like a classic!! The Silenced Topre sounds amazing, to!

@Palatino, u're right, its kinda a low budget situation. I was surprised because the HP KU 1156 is cheaper than the Dell and Microsoft one and yet its better hahah.
btw, I used the Dell kb522 in the past and found it very good.

wobbled

27 Nov 2021, 21:59

lest we forget the famous Topre HHKBs also came from mediocre rubber domes too with the KB02 from the late 90s.
20211123_182530.jpg
20211123_182530.jpg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 4393 times
As long as the domes are decently snappy in any membrane keyboard, a bit of lube on the sliders will make it feel a million times better. I prefer rubber dome keyboards to a LOT of MX switches.
The OP pictured HPKU-1156 board is honestly very well made (has a fair bit of weight) and feels pretty snappy. I like them a lot

Muirium
µ

28 Nov 2021, 09:47

If the HHKB Pro weren’t a Topre, I’d never have one. My fingers heavily object to membrane rubberdomes. They’re so much mushy work, like hiking through sludgy snow. I prefer scissor switch keyboards to all of that. They’re… adequate. Which is quite the improvement for me! Indeed, if I’d come to computers later, in the scissor switch era instead of the cheapo dome era, I may have never given keyboards a second thought at all! :P

Is there such a thing as a decent rubber dome over membrane keyboard? For me, probably not. It’s the bottoming out into all that rubber that makes them mush for me. And that’s exactly how they work. But for other people’s tastes? I’m sure there are. Keep on hearing about it at least! Always with the praise about their bargain bin price and availability.

wobbled

28 Nov 2021, 21:16

Muirium wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 09:47
If the HHKB Pro weren’t a Topre, I’d never have one. My fingers heavily object to membrane rubberdomes. They’re so much mushy work, like hiking through sludgy snow. I prefer scissor switch keyboards to all of that. They’re… adequate. Which is quite the improvement for me! Indeed, if I’d come to computers later, in the scissor switch era instead of the cheapo dome era, I may have never given keyboards a second thought at all! :P

Is there such a thing as a decent rubber dome over membrane keyboard? For me, probably not. It’s the bottoming out into all that rubber that makes them mush for me. And that’s exactly how they work. But for other people’s tastes? I’m sure there are. Keep on hearing about it at least! Always with the praise about their bargain bin price and availability.
Have you had the chance to try one of the original HHKBs with fujitsu domes? When I got mine it didn't sound particularly great but the feel was certainly there (a solid dome with slider board). After a quick lubing I ended up liking it almost as much as my Topre HHKBs despite it feeling completely different. Granted some of the keys are a bit tired now since it's rubber from 1999.

Since straight up rubber domes aren't your thing, perhaps you'd prefer dome with sliders? I've had good experiences with BTC's and those Dell Quiet Key boards too.

Muirium
µ

29 Nov 2021, 11:20

No, I've not. Haven't actively avoided them, either, but never come across one for the right price, inc. shipping. Unlikely now that importing things into Brexitania (but we won the war!) is a ritual pain in the tits.

How would you describe dome with sliders versus regular domes and Topre domes? The way I like it is mid to high actuation—certainly not all the way down at the bottom of the keystroke—and really smooth travel. The smoothness thing is just as big a draw for me to Topre as the tactile curve. Linear MX are my favourite MX, but even they scratch and shuf-shuf-shuffle to distraction. Not to mention the ring from the springs. I really like my keys to be properly quiet, unless they're clicking. That's why I like Model F so much: those are pretty damn smooth and quiet until the big event!

Return to “Keyboards”