Lazy Majestouch control key

zownix

01 Dec 2021, 15:44

I've bought the bluetooth supported Majestouch Convertible 2 MX Brown. The keyboard was working fine until recently. The left control key no longer registers when pressed. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Pressing it many times will make it register. This happens in both USB cable and Bluetooth mode.

I'm a heavy terminal and Emacs user so I press the left control key a lot with my palm. I do feel the tactile bump when pressing the key, but it's not registered.

The workaround I'm using, is the other control key on the right, but it's terribly frustrating on a newish keyboard. I only had it for half a year so it shouldn't be wear and tear. I have another Majestouch Ninja with MX Blues in them. Had it for almost a decade, before I bought the bluetooth one. It works flawlessly with the same usage.

Does anyone know what to do to troubleshoot keys not getting registered?

hellothere

01 Dec 2021, 15:59

Easiest troubleshooting: remove the key cap and some of the ones by the control key. Use compressed air to clean.

Sounds like a bad key switch to me. If it's only 1/2 year old, it's probably still under warranty, so I wouldn't swap out the switch or even open the case.

Muirium
µ

01 Dec 2021, 19:34

Correct. If you bought it new, the warranty should still apply. Use that if you have it. There are usually sticker seals on the case which void it if you do attempt to fix for yourself.

And yes, sounds like a dodgy switch to me. Unusual for a Cherry MX.

Return to “Keyboards”