Opinions on Mechanical Keyboards

CallmeJohn

06 Dec 2021, 13:25

headphone_jack

06 Dec 2021, 14:50

Why people continue to use this god awful forum is beyond me. No active moderation, constant spam, like 5 posts a day if that. Its time to move on.

Muirium
µ

06 Dec 2021, 15:45

Habit. Once Nexthority's up and running, maybe we'll move en masse. Dunno though. Much as I appreciate what Redmaus is up to, it needs a lot more users to achieve critical mass (you'll know it if and when it doesn't seem dead), and Redmaus is then in the same position as Webwit was back here: a single point of responsibility and ultimately failure. In the long run, all our websites are dead. Webwit tried to gather a posse to keep DT going, but it never worked.

Besides, there's so much content already here. If I posted on Nexthority instead, I'd forever be linking to reference threads and photos back here! And then what would happen if we did all go? DT goes dark and gone forever.

Part of me definitely wants to stick it out, and hope we get our forum back. Maybe if we just got an admin among us, who can assign spam-squishing powers and generally keep the lights on.

sharktastica

06 Dec 2021, 15:55

> Opinions on Mechanical Keyboards

Well, considering it's basically an undefined term, I'm gonna define "mechanical keyboard" as "a keyboard that doesn't part-way actuate and has Wensleydale cheese in the slider". I don't think this is a fad that is going to die, and you will have to take my cheesed up Dell L100 over my dead body.

Takes a sip of tea from my epic Gromit mug.
TS_Wallace_And_Gromit_Gromit_Shaped_Mug_13_99_2-320-320.jpg
TS_Wallace_And_Gromit_Gromit_Shaped_Mug_13_99_2-320-320.jpg (120.38 KiB) Viewed 4532 times

headphone_jack

06 Dec 2021, 17:57

Muirium wrote:
Habit. Once Nexthority's up and running, maybe we'll move en masse. Dunno though. Much as I appreciate what Redmaus is up to, it needs a lot more users to achieve critical mass (you'll know it if and when it doesn't seem dead), and Redmaus is then in the same position as Webwit was back here: a single point of responsibility and ultimately failure. In the long run, all our websites are dead. Webwit tried to gather a posse to keep DT going, but it never worked.

Besides, there's so much content already here. If I posted on Nexthority instead, I'd forever be linking to reference threads and photos back here! And then what would happen if we did all go? DT goes dark and gone forever.

Part of me definitely wants to stick it out, and hope we get our forum back. Maybe if we just got an admin among us, who can assign spam-squishing powers and generally keep the lights on.
Trust me, as someone that has an inkling of behind the scenes: none of that is happening. I have hope for nexthority, but if that falls through we're SOL.

norolim

07 Dec 2021, 15:15

In the meantime, are there any other forums on vintage keyboards, that are worth visiting? The traffic on DT is really disappointing.

I know there is geekhack and r/MechanicalKeyboards, but those are more about modern mechs, mods and Topre cult.

Muirium
µ

07 Dec 2021, 15:25

Used to be much livelier here. People move on, and the newer folk are mostly going to *spit* Reddit now. There’s your traffic. So it goes. That or passive Instagram, TikTok or whatever it is now. The chatty rough and tumble of forums is out of style. Maybe so is typing! :roll:

Is Ripster still the lord of the flies over there?
Last edited by Muirium on 07 Dec 2021, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

headphone_jack

07 Dec 2021, 15:26

norolim wrote:
In the meantime, are there any other forums on vintage keyboards, that are worth visiting? The traffic on DT is really disappointing.

I know there is geekhack and r/MechanicalKeyboards, but those are more about modern mechs, mods and Topre cult.
As far as forums go, this is about it as far as I know. The DT discord is fairly active, but that's also controlled by OneCuntverse, although the other mods are excellent.

sharktastica

07 Dec 2021, 15:42

norolim wrote:

If you're interested in this niche, maybe worth mentioning that I help run the very specific r/ModelM (we accept Keyboard Bs and Model F keyboards) and its Discord. It's still in its relative infancy (in regards to trying to grow it, it's been registered for a while but it only seen grown since early 2020) and you won't get the exact forum experience there (trying to search for past posts suck), but it's a warm and friendly place for casual photo sharing and conversation and we do photo contests a few times a year. We're trying to build it up steadily and I'm trying to introduce research elements there too. If you have any good ol' IBM, Lexmark or Unicomp keyboards you want to share, feel free to drop by. But yeah, I appreciate it's very much a niche subreddit.

But otherwise, there's no direct alternative to DT that's presently more active.
Muirium wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 15:25
Is Ripster still lord of the flies over there?
Ripster hasn't posted in 3 or so years. Word has it he just cashed out of the hobby, something seemingly confirmed since I've seen people post keyboards that used to belong to him (confirmed by serial number) including models typically worth holding on to except for some drastic reasons. Anyway, not many people there even know the old lore these days. That said, he's still technically admin of r/MK but he does nothing public-facing.

raoulduke-esq

07 Dec 2021, 15:57

Muirium wrote:
The ability to link would depend on OneCommerce remembering to renew the TLS cert, pay the server bills, pay the domain bills, and also on nobody exploiting the gaping vulnerabilities that result when you never patch.

One day you'll wake up and DT will have vanished. Start transcribing your favorite posts onto steno pads now before it's too late.

Muirium
µ

07 Dec 2021, 16:36

Steno? Thankfully not. Just a little !wayback-fu will often do. Not as good as a live site of course, content search is more or less impossible, but most times I’ve turned to it, it works.

Mind, the deep freezer is no place for a community!

norolim

07 Dec 2021, 17:56

Thanks for the replies. I was never very active here, but I definitely remember this forum being much more lively a few years ago. reddit is not my thing, so I won't be jumping there, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the nexthority project.

Do you need an invitation to the discord?
sharktastica wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 15:42
If you're interested in this niche, maybe worth mentioning that I help run the very specific r/ModelM (we accept Keyboard Bs and Model F keyboards) and its Discord[...]
A blue label Model M is my daily driver :)

Return to “Keyboards”