Is there any way to make Model M as a non-Bluetooth wireless keyboard

apastuszak

09 Dec 2021, 05:59

I use my Model M with a USB switch box to hop between two different PCs throughout the day. I'd prefer to use a wireless USB dongle instead of Bluetooth to connect wirelessly.

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2021, 10:15

What would a wireless but non-Bluetooth connection achieve? I could see the appeal of a multi host Bluetooth keyboard for switching between systems with a keystroke, but a non-Bluetooth connection is typically (always?) direct 1:1 host to device.

Or do you just want a wireless link between your keyboard and the USB KVM?

apastuszak

09 Dec 2021, 14:11

Yes. Wireless between my KVM and the keyboard.

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2021, 15:56

Fair enough. Any wireless dongle should be able to handle that. But the trouble is getting the Model M to play along. Hopefully there's something out there that lets you bridge wired keyboards like this. There is such a thing *for* Bluetooth.

jsheradin

09 Dec 2021, 17:35

Most of my computers boot to Grub which does not support bluetooth. After trying a couple solutions I ended up using these things. You basically do a one time bluetooth pairing and you have something like a basic logitech wireless keyboard. The OS, BIOS, whatever sees them as a normal USB keyboard. You can move the dongle between computers, etc. and it remains paired.

You could use something like what Mu posted or this. I think you could make your own controller using something like this if you want to go the QMK route.

Return to “Keyboards”