Unicomp Mini M vs New Model M

JCMax

12 Jan 2022, 00:49

Can anybody who has tried both keyboards tell me how they compare to each other? I got the New Model M, but am I am curious about what the Mini M is like. I don't know if it would be worth buying it if they type and feel like the same keyboard. I can see there are differences with some of the keys, layout, and of course the key roll-over. But what about the way the keys feel and how they perform, especially with regards to the switches?

Does anybody recommend getting the Mini M if you've already got a New Model M?

P.S. Has anyone tried to reprogram the key mapping with either of these keyboards with QMK? I am interested in switching a New Model M / Mini M over to Colemak, but when I checked with Unicomp they said they couldn't do alt layouts like it at this time (they said maybe a few months)?

sharktastica

12 Jan 2022, 01:03

JCMax wrote:
Can anybody who has tried both keyboards tell me how they compare to each other? I got the New Model M, but am I am curious about what the Mini M is like. I don't know if it would be worth buying it if they type and feel like the same keyboard. I can see there are differences with some of the keys, layout, and of course the key roll-over. But what about the way the keys feel and how they perform, especially with regards to the switches?
In terms of keyfeel, they're basically the same. They use the same springs, rockers and barrel plate (albeit, cut down to fit). So, you've basically already summarised the differences. The biggest one is its matrix, which is designed in a way keys are less likely to block each other (although, it's still a fundamentally 2KRO technology).
JCMax wrote:
Does anybody recommend getting the Mini M if you've already got a New Model M?
Unless you want a TKL, I don't see a point. The Mini M is overall a lovely keyboard, just if you're only concerned about keyfeel, you're not really going to get a different experience by buying one.
JCMax wrote:
P.S. Has anyone tried to reprogram the key mapping with either of these keyboards with QMK?
Neither keyboard supports QMK, so you'd have to replace their controllers - present options include purdeaandrei's OverNumpad Controller for the New Model M (and other fourth-gen Ms) and Level1 and co's Mini M controller replacement.

JCMax

12 Jan 2022, 02:25

Thanks!

Muirium
µ

12 Jan 2022, 09:23

Had me wondering “New Model M?” for a moment there. Unicomp sure know how to name them!

Sharkey is, of course, quite right. Nice tips on those controllers, as well. I’d definitely replace the iffy one Unicomp ships in the SSK remake.

If you want a different feel: pony up for the Ellipse odyssey!

(Or, like me, keep hoping for a new round of Model MF kits.)

gianni

12 Jan 2022, 09:33

Does the mini M still have those horrible and pathetic firmware problems? It made the keyboard unusable.

Muirium
µ

12 Jan 2022, 09:41

Come on: it’s Unicomp. You think they’d ever fix it?

sharktastica

12 Jan 2022, 15:38

gianni wrote:
Does the mini M still have those horrible and pathetic firmware problems? It made the keyboard unusable.
The dead Q key issue? Yes, it's been fixed since mid-November. If you have one, get in touch with them and they'll pay to ship it in a final time and all should be good.

JCMax

13 Jan 2022, 02:19

Muirium wrote:

If you want a different feel: pony up for the Ellipse odyssey!
:lol: Already on that ride! At first I said it was too much, but I've been hearing such good reviews I decided to give it a shot! I REALLY want to see how the Model F repros compare to the New M's.
Muirium wrote:

(Or, like me, keep hoping for a new round of Model MF kits.)
New round of MF kits from Ellipse's project? I think you can still place an order (it will take forever to arrive though). I placed mine in May last year and I'm still waiting for it, which is fine since I may add on anyway.
gianni wrote:
sharktastica wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 01:03

Neither keyboard supports QMK, so you'd have to replace their controllers - present options include purdeaandrei's OverNumpad Controller for the New Model M (and other fourth-gen Ms) and Level1 and co's Mini M controller replacement.
Just speaking on the New M, I have noticed a couple of issues where I have to unplug and plug back in after logging on when I have stepped away for a minute, or it might be slow to output to the monitor.

I'm definitely thinking about looking into a different controller.

lhutton

13 Jan 2022, 03:36

I've got both and done videos on both. They are functionally the same keyboard outside of size. I haven't noticed any collisions on the full sized M's matrix that the Mini M fixes in piratical use but I'm not a huge gamer either. Personally I'd for the full size M given the cheaper price and numpad.

JCMax

13 Jan 2022, 07:29

lhutton wrote:
I've got both and done videos on both. They are functionally the same keyboard outside of size. I haven't noticed any collisions on the full sized M's matrix that the Mini M fixes in piratical use but I'm not a huge gamer either. Personally I'd for the full size M given the cheaper price and numpad.
Awesome videos! Thanks for the comparison.

Bjerrk

13 Jan 2022, 09:19

lhutton wrote:
I've got both and done videos on both.
This may be blasphemy, but I actually think they do type as nicely as an old Model M :shock: Shocker, I know.
Unicomp has had their issues over the years, but the recent ones have been pretty good, in my experience. I use a 2020 Unicomp at work and a 1987 IBM (bolt modded) at home, and I always enjoy typing on the Unicomp. The sound is a bit harsher, though.

I should add that I have a late 2000s Unicomp Model M as well that I'm not as much of a fan of. It's a bit inconsistent.

JCMax

16 Jan 2022, 05:57

Bjerrk wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 09:19
lhutton wrote:
I've got both and done videos on both.
This may be blasphemy, but I actually think they do type as nicely as an old Model M :shock: Shocker, I know.
Unicomp has had their issues over the years, but the recent ones have been pretty good, in my experience. I use a 2020 Unicomp at work and a 1987 IBM (bolt modded) at home, and I always enjoy typing on the Unicomp. The sound is a bit harsher, though.

I should add that I have a late 2000s Unicomp Model M as well that I'm not as much of a fan of. It's a bit inconsistent.
That is exactly what I needed to hear. I always hear people bash on the Unicomp M's. I can see how that was justified with things like the misaligned legends on their keycaps and whatnot, but still...I think poeple are a little bit too harsh, especially with the newer models.
I was ready for them to put out an M of the same quality as the classic ones, and it looks like I've picked the right board that I wanted to try.

Return to “Keyboards”