Conversion from PS2 to USB-C possible?

lilotus

13 Jan 2022, 23:17

Hello I recently got myself a Cherry G80-1800, it has a PS2 connector and well who still has a PS2 connector? Is it possible to convert it to USB-C and I am willing to solder around on it and take it apart.

Findecanor

14 Jan 2022, 00:43

I think there is room inside it for fitting a PS/2-to-USB converter ("active adaptor") inside it.

One way might be to put Hasu's PC Keyboard Converter firmware onto a microcontroller board with a ATmega32u4 microcontroller and a USB-C port and mount it inside the case so that the port is right behind a hole of the right size.
There are several Pro Micro clones with USB-C that would work, and which are quite small: Elite-C, Puchi-C, Qwiic Pro Micro and ShiroMicro.

If you use another converter that doesn't have a USB-C port then you would have to use a "USB-C breakout board". The breakout board you get should have two small resistors on it that are required for correct identification of a USB-C device.

Then there is the E80-1800 replacement PCB, which has a USB-C port on the board itself made to fit out an enlarged cable hole, but I don't know if there has been a run of boards for sale yet. Would be a bit expensive, but you would get NKRO.
(The more well-known "Leeku 1800" replacement PCB has a Mini-USB port, I think)
Last edited by Findecanor on 15 Jan 2022, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

timw4mail

14 Jan 2022, 15:32

lilotus wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 23:17
Hello I recently got myself a Cherry G80-1800, it has a PS2 connector and well who still has a PS2 connector? Is it possible to convert it to USB-C and I am willing to solder around on it and take it apart.
Not to be curmudgeony, but you can still get modern (AM4) computer motherboards with a PS/2 port. That said, why couldn't you just use a normal PS/2 -> USB adapter with a USB-A / USB-C adapter?

Seirin-Blu

15 Jan 2022, 03:07

I'm going to be doing this soon. I think the least janky way to this is probably to get a board like a pro micro or elite C and then follow the instructions on Hasu's page (linked by Findecanor above) to convert. Depending on where you're putting the dev board, you might need a short and cheap usb C male to usb C female extender.

lilotus

16 Jan 2022, 00:41

timw4mail wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 15:32
Not to be curmudgeony, but you can still get modern (AM4) computer motherboards with a PS/2 port. That said, why couldn't you just use a normal PS/2 -> USB adapter with a USB-A / USB-C adapter?
I don't want to get a new mobo and I don't like using adapters. And I wan't to do some project to improve my soldering skills.

Return to “Keyboards”