Where to find cables for late revision IBM Model M's

UAvi8tor

25 Jan 2022, 15:52

Hi, recently I came across an IBM model M for free, from my town's E-Waste centre, dated 8 December 1993. The case and keys are in great condition with only some dust, crumbs, and scratches. The cable is an absolute disaster though, being as brittle as homemade cast-iron and tan in colour, and a large section broke off like glass as the cable bent. I searched on E-Bay for a replacement cable, with no success. Does anyone here know where I can buy a new cable?
IMG_7457.jpeg
IMG_7457.jpeg (3 MiB) Viewed 5760 times

UAvi8tor

25 Jan 2022, 15:54

I should add I have a IBM Model F XT from the same dump with perfect foam, but a cabe that feels like a cheap silicone phone case.

Muirium
µ

25 Jan 2022, 15:58

You're in America, so it's easy. Here:

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/Cables

Unicomp's even have IBM logos on them. Sure did when I bought some, years ago.

jsheradin

25 Jan 2022, 16:01

Unicomp sells replacements.

Another option might be removing the cable altogether and doing an internal USB converter.
Spoiler:
J4dlRdm.jpg
J4dlRdm.jpg (613.3 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
Here's some CAD files if you have a 3D printer.

Muirium
µ

25 Jan 2022, 16:07

Ooh, that's sneaky! Could you do something like that (with an internal Soarer converter) for the XT?

jsheradin

25 Jan 2022, 16:40

Muirium wrote:
Ooh, that's sneaky! Could you do something like that (with an internal Soarer converter) for the XT?
The M lets you butt the controller right up to the outside of the case since the slot is nice and large. I'll need to crack open my XT to be sure but I don't think there's a hole big enough even if you use a USB extension cable.
Spoiler:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.92 KiB) Viewed 5710 times

Muirium
µ

25 Jan 2022, 17:10

Hmm… maybe a 3D printed port holder would be the most elegant solution to my SGI conundrum.
Wanting to avoid hacking up a cable, it looks like I’m out of luck with the original ports. Don’t mind swapping the left one for a mini USB socket I have spare, but mounting the thing well enough for realistic physical use is the hard part. Your technique could be just the trick I need.

mmm

25 Jan 2022, 17:31

jsheradin wrote:
Muirium wrote:
The M lets you butt the controller right up to the outside of the case since the slot is nice and large. I'll need to crack open my XT to be sure but I don't think there's a hole big enough even if you use a USB extension cable.
Spoiler:
Capture.JPG
I used an internal converter on my XT, but had to use a small extension cable. The case opening is not big enough for a female usb-c port, but I widened it a bit with the use of a file.

jsheradin

25 Jan 2022, 18:22

Muirium wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 17:10
Hmm… maybe a 3D printed port holder would be the most elegant solution to my SGI conundrum.
Wanting to avoid hacking up a cable, it looks like I’m out of luck with the original ports. Don’t mind swapping the left one for a mini USB socket I have spare, but mounting the thing well enough for realistic physical use is the hard part. Your technique could be just the trick I need.
Those plastic supports will probably get in the way unless you can find something like this which is shallow enough. A 3D printed holder would be pretty easy to whip up.

You could always just trim them out and double sided tape something like this:
Spoiler:
There might also be a good spot to file out a rear exit depending on your devotion to purity:
Spoiler:
highly_technical_drawing.png
highly_technical_drawing.png (2.14 MiB) Viewed 5630 times

UAvi8tor

25 Jan 2022, 19:59

jsheradin wrote:
Muirium wrote:
Spoiler:
Capture.JPG
Huh, looks pretty cool. Currently cleaning off the keycaps of the Model F, there are switches and keys all over my bed(Backplate kept wobbling on my desk)

fohat
Elder Messenger

25 Jan 2022, 22:42

Orihalcon's cables are pricey but they look clean and perform beautifully.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273156390075?_ ... BMjvH5stJf

Return to “Keyboards”