Any way to fix paint wearing off at the corners of keycap?

dream3

26 Jan 2022, 12:04

I got a few PBT dye sub keycaps that are unfortunately fading at the very top corners. It wasn't natural but happened when I put the keyboard unprotected in my backpack. I think the friction did it.

So the keycap is blue and now I see white corners. Is there any type of paint or pen that would stick to the surface so I could use to retouch the keycap?
IMG_3388.jpg
IMG_3388.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 3492 times

Muirium
µ

26 Jan 2022, 12:33

Ah, reverse dyesub. Yeah, that coating isn't really up to the exposed wear and tear of being a corner in a backpack.

I've been carrying my HHKB in bags for many years. Its dyesubs are the classic kind, however, where only the legend is dyed. So the wear on mine isn't highlighted by inner colour bleed.

dream3

26 Jan 2022, 12:38

Shit i had no idea reverse dye was this fragile. Not going with that ever again.

Any fixes you think?

Muirium
µ

26 Jan 2022, 14:29

Not really. I've never tried inking PBT. A colour-matched magic marker? I'd just put up with it as a mark of use.

Findecanor

26 Jan 2022, 14:55

Hmm. It is often difficult to colour-match. And sometimes a second stroke with a marker over a previous can darken where there is already ink.

Markers can have different solvents: Permanent markers should dye plastic permanently. Then there are markers with alcohol-based or water-based ink that should be possible to wash off with rubbing alcohol, but that is not always guaranteed. Some brands have different types of markers with the same sets of colours but different solvents — and in that case, you might be able to try colour matching non-permanent ink in the store before you get and use a permanent marker. But I would try in a non-visible part inside the keycap first.

Muirium
µ

26 Jan 2022, 16:16

Yes. That’s why I wouldn’t even bother. But, if the underside of the cap is undyed, there’s no harm in a little experiment.

dream3

26 Jan 2022, 16:42

Findecanor wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 14:55
Hmm. It is often difficult to colour-match. And sometimes a second stroke with a marker over a previous can darken where there is already ink.

Markers can have different solvents: Permanent markers should dye plastic permanently. Then there are markers with alcohol-based or water-based ink that should be possible to wash off with rubbing alcohol, but that is not always guaranteed. Some brands have different types of markers with the same sets of colours but different solvents — and in that case, you might be able to try colour matching non-permanent ink in the store before you get and use a permanent marker. But I would try in a non-visible part inside the keycap first.

thanks ill look into markers. So no for alcohol or water based. I guess I should narrow it down to oil based markers? I feel its gonna be hard to find variety in oil based :(

Return to “Keyboards”