Cherry MY

The Laptop Lagger

11 Feb 2022, 13:29

So!
On my most recent Ebay prowl I came across a particularly odd looking Cherry branded board

After some quick research I found out that this particular style of board came in two variations.
The G80-1800! Equipped with the famously mediocre and widespread Cherry MX switches.
Aaand the G81-1800. Equipped with the venerable, and in my opinion godawful, Cherry MY
The seller didn't include much info so I threw out a lowball bid and got the board.

Those eagle eyed readers who performed the glorious act of reading the title may have figured out that I did indeed stumble upon the G81 variant.
So, was it a good buy? At little over €20 I don't mind the awful MY keyfeel too much

But furthermore, what is your opinion on Cherry MY? Have you ever used it? If so what were your thoughts. Do you agree that it is an unholy abomination that feels akin to typing on the corpse of a baby seal. Or do you enjoy the quiet firm typing experience. Comment down below.

Cheers!
Last edited by The Laptop Lagger on 11 Feb 2022, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

11 Feb 2022, 14:50

I have seen posts from one or two people who liked Cherry MY. :-þ

I have had a few that I've mostly scavenged parts from. I found the switch modules convenient for prototyping layouts, and I think I've now typed more on those than on actual MY keyboards ...
Last edited by Findecanor on 11 Feb 2022, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 Feb 2022, 14:57

The Laptop Lagger wrote:
[…] the famously mediocre […] Cherry MX switches. […]
Simply repeat anything often enough and people will end believing it because, after all, everybody says it and repeats it and so means to know about it - see 45’s claims of widespread election fraud.

Cherry MX switches are absolutely OK and there is a reason they have been were the standard for so long and there are so many clones.
You should try them without prejudice.

This being said, I will gladly let those who simply adopt influencers’ opinions argue to the contrary.
And, of course answer your question about MY switches :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Just noticing it’s been a long time since my last rant :lol:

Muirium
µ

11 Feb 2022, 15:11

C’mon Mr. Choc, “mediocre” is pretty high praise. Cherry MY would kill for mediocre!

The best purpose for a board like that is a display housing for its often very useful caps. (Like those transparent trays they come in from China, but with an actual keyboard attached, for use in emergency.) Tell us what the sticker says on the base. It will tell the details…

The Laptop Lagger

11 Feb 2022, 15:31

kbdfr wrote:
The Laptop Lagger wrote:
[…] the famously mediocre […] Cherry MX switches. […]
Simply repeat anything often enough and people will end believing it because, after all, everybody says it and repeats it and so means to know about it - see 45’s claims of widespread election fraud.

Cherry MX switches are absolutely OK and there is a reason they have been were the standard for so long and there are so many clones.

This being said, I will gladly let those who simply adopt influencers’ opinions argue to the contrary.
And, of course answer your question about MY switches :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Just noticing it’s been a long time since my last rant :lol:
I would like to clarify that I find Cherry MX switches and their clones absolutely fine, by mediocre I didn't mean bad but I do think it's agreed that they're a rather simplified Mechanical switch.

The Laptop Lagger

11 Feb 2022, 15:34

Muirium wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 15:11
C’mon Mr. Choc, “mediocre” is pretty high praise. Cherry MY would kill for mediocre!

The best purpose for a board like that is a display housing for its often very useful caps. (Like those transparent trays they come in from China, but with an actual keyboard attached, for use in emergency.) Tell us what the sticker says on the base. It will tell the details…
Ah ofcourse! Completely forgot to include that photo.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 Feb 2022, 17:19

The Laptop Lagger wrote:
[…] Cherry MX switches […] I do think it's agreed that they're a rather simplified Mechanical switch.
I fail to see what exactly in MX switches can be considered as "simplified" (with the negative undertone implied) in comparison to, let’s say, the lately so praised ALPS switches.
With a positive connotation, yes, MX switches were "simplified" in comparison to the buckling springs IBM foolishly designed to be as loud as the typewriters the keyboards were going to replace.

The Laptop Lagger

11 Feb 2022, 18:48

kbdfr wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 17:19
The Laptop Lagger wrote:
[…] Cherry MX switches […] I do think it's agreed that they're a rather simplified Mechanical switch.
I fail to see what exactly in MX switches can be considered as "simplified" (with the negative undertone implied) in comparison to, let’s say, the lately so praised ALPS switches.
With a positive connotation, yes, MX switches were "simplified" in comparison to the buckling springs IBM foolishly designed to be as loud as the typewriters the keyboards were going to replace.
I am merely remarking that they're basically the cheapest of the major designs. Within budget they function entirely fine.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 Feb 2022, 19:10

Arguing with you is fun :lol:

I confess I find it quite infuriating how MX switches are constantly denigrated. It has come up since mechanical keyboards are "in" and influencers, seizing on the trend, have established as a standard that MX switches are simply abominable -.just because they personally dislike them. And thousands of followers, many of them never having typed on them, simply consider them as bad because, well, all others do (mind you: on the exact same premises).

Looks like somehow I seem to take it as a personal affair :mrgreen:

hellothere

11 Feb 2022, 19:13

I've got a Cherry MY keyboard. I think it's from the same family as OP's, but mine's ANSI and US layout. It's been sitting in my closet for 5+ years. I remember stealing some keycaps for another project. It's about a 1/2 step up from a $5 rubber dome. I'd much rather have an Acer switch keyboard or a BTC dome-with-slider.

hellothere

11 Feb 2022, 19:40

kbdfr wrote:
I confess I find it quite infuriating how MX switches are constantly denigrated. It has come up since mechanical keyboards are "in" and influencers, seizing on the trend, have established as a standard that MX switches are simply abominable -.just because they personally dislike them. And thousands of followers, many of them never having typed on them, simply consider them as bad because, well, all others do (mind you: on the exact same premises).
I've not tried all of the Cherry MX line, but I do think the Gateron brown, red, and blue switches are superior to Cherry's. I've tried a couple of different colors of Kailh, but I don't remember anything about them. I've tried several of the Kailh Box switches and those are very nice. I'm not really a fan of Cherry "vintage" black, but I've been told that "vintage" browns can be very nice.

I pile on to Cherry MX browns primarily because I think it's amusing.

I mentioned BTC and Acer keyboards in my last post. If you have a tight budget, I think it's arguable that those are better choices than Cherry MX/MX clones. $85 can buy you an IBM Model M. (I should know. I'm selling one.) I think the Model M, even the Unicomp model, which is what I'm selling, is superior to all the Cherry MX/MX clones I've mentioned. If you have a budget of $100+, you can get a keyboard with black or white Alps switches, which I also consider superior to Cherry MX/MX clones. Those might need a little work, though.

I do think that Cherry MX/MX clones are superior to most membrane and dome/slider keyboards. When I got my first MX blue, I was really impressed how much better it was than what I was using. I then started playing around with other MX switches.

SK-8K

11 Feb 2022, 19:59

I think it's still better than rubber domes. They're easy to spray lube to remove the binding issue. On the heavy side for me but still usable. TTC's membrane switch design is much better though.

The Laptop Lagger

11 Feb 2022, 20:21

SK-8K wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 19:59
I think it's still better than rubber domes. They're easy to spray lube to remove the binding issue. On the heavy side for me but still usable. TTC's membrane switch design is much better though.
I must admit I prefer the average rubber dome to these, the weighting just ruins any and all typing experience for me personally.

photekq
Cherry Picker

11 Feb 2022, 20:40

hellothere wrote:
I've not tried all of the Cherry MX line, but I do think the Gateron brown, red, and blue switches are superior to Cherry's. I've tried a couple of different colors of Kailh, but I don't remember anything about them. I've tried several of the Kailh Box switches and those are very nice. I'm not really a fan of Cherry "vintage" black, but I've been told that "vintage" browns can be very nice.
I'd agree that Gateron browns, reds and blues are superior to Cherry's current offerings in the same colours. I say this because you pretty much know what you're getting with Gateron; they're going to be smooth and pleasant to use, no matter what.

I would note, however, that there is variance between batches of modern Cherry hyperglides. If you get lucky with your batch, they can rival good vintage Cherry switches. But I can't take that as the norm, so I would agree that Gaterons are superior overall.

If you enjoy linear Gaterons, I'm surprised that you don't like vintage blacks (unless it's the weighting that you don't like - give a spring swap a try). Of course, there's always luck involved with any used, vintage switch; if I got out the best and worst vintage black keyboards in my collection, there'd be a huge difference to be felt between them.

I find that good batches of vintage MX blacks, vintage browns, or vintage blues are almost always superior to the respective Gateron switches; they match the smoothness of Gaterons, while offering a nicer sound. That's the one thing no clone manfacturer can compete with Cherry on: sound. They also take better to tuning, especially lubricant.

The Laptop Lagger

11 Feb 2022, 20:45

My personal preferred switches are still NMB and Alps, because I am a deskthority normie!

Muirium
µ

12 Feb 2022, 09:53

kbdfr wrote:
…influencers…

These are not the switches you are looking for.

SK-8K

12 Feb 2022, 17:21

photekq wrote:
hellothere wrote:

I find that good batches of vintage MX blacks, vintage browns, or vintage blues are almost always superior to the respective Gateron switches; they match the smoothness of Gaterons, while offering a nicer sound. That's the one thing no clone manfacturer can compete with Cherry on: sound. They also take better to tuning, especially lubricant.
Have you tried these Gaterons? I think the housing material is the same as Cherry.

hellothere

12 Feb 2022, 23:22

photekq wrote:
hellothere wrote:
If you enjoy linear Gaterons, I'm surprised that you don't like vintage blacks (unless it's the weighting that you don't like - give a spring swap a try). Of course, there's always luck involved with any used, vintage switch; if I got out the best and worst vintage black keyboards in my collection, there'd be a huge difference to be felt between them.

I don't like linear, in general, but I own an Apex Pro. Probably the biggest reason was Chyros' video on them, but I do like the build quality, it's very smooth, and it really does have the best LED lighting of any keyboard I've tried. The reason I can say that Gateron reds are better than Cherry reds is because I had a Cherry red keyboard (Logitech, maybe) and all of the numeric keypad and function keys on the Apex Pro are Gateron reds.

I am fond of yellow Alps, continuing on the linear theme. I've got an extremely nice black Alps keyboard, too, and I've easily had 10 black Alps boards pass through my hands and this is the only one I like. It's linearized.

Cherry vintage black feels to me like it's got a sponge or something in it. If I ever get another keyboard with vintage blacks, I'll do all the take-apart, lube, film, massage, acupuncture, etc. and see if it makes a difference.

As far as sound, in general, is concerned, I'll point out that you just meant Cherry vs. Gateron, so no incoming tar and feathers from the IBM folks, or Alps folks, or Hi-Tek folks, etc. :D. Anyhow, I really can't say if Cherry is > Gateron or Kailh or other MX clone as far as sound is concerned, ATM. I've got Cherry blue in one keyboard and Gateron blue in another and no other matching colors. Sound is very dependent on the case and somewhat dependent on keycaps. I wouldn't be able to make a fair comparison. Well, I could, but that sounds like work and I'm lazy. Kailh Thick Click Box Navy sounds awesome, though. However, I'm starting to like quieter keyboards more. My daily driver is a "Nopre." Not much clicky from that.

The Laptop Lagger

12 Feb 2022, 23:45

I've never been too keen on quieter boards myself. Mildly ironic since I daily drive a "damped" switch, but in an AEKII chassis I find this to still retain a very pleasant sound. (Alps Cream Damped)

photekq
Cherry Picker

13 Feb 2022, 18:10

hellothere wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 23:22
The reason I can say that Gateron reds are better than Cherry reds is because I had a Cherry red keyboard (Logitech, maybe) and all of the numeric keypad and function keys on the Apex Pro are Gateron reds.

I am fond of yellow Alps, continuing on the linear theme. I've got an extremely nice black Alps keyboard, too, and I've easily had 10 black Alps boards pass through my hands and this is the only one I like. It's linearized.

Cherry vintage black feels to me like it's got a sponge or something in it. If I ever get another keyboard with vintage blacks, I'll do all the take-apart, lube, film, massage, acupuncture, etc. and see if it makes a difference.

As far as sound, in general, is concerned, I'll point out that you just meant Cherry vs. Gateron, so no incoming tar and feathers from the IBM folks, or Alps folks, or Hi-Tek folks, etc. :D. Anyhow, I really can't say if Cherry is > Gateron or Kailh or other MX clone as far as sound is concerned, ATM. I've got Cherry blue in one keyboard and Gateron blue in another and no other matching colors. Sound is very dependent on the case and somewhat dependent on keycaps. I wouldn't be able to make a fair comparison. Well, I could, but that sounds like work and I'm lazy. Kailh Thick Click Box Navy sounds awesome, though. However, I'm starting to like quieter keyboards more. My daily driver is a "Nopre." Not much clicky from that.
No doubt about Cherry reds being worse than Gateron reds. But as someone who enjoys Cherry switches, I don't consider reds to even be a contender - they were never made during a period where Cherry was making good switches. For me, a "good" red would be a vintage black with lighter springs swapped in, and that's what I'd recommend to anyone wanting to try a light linear made by Cherry.

I can see where you're coming from with the spongey feeling; that's how I feel about them when they have stock springs. For me, the spring is the only part of the switch that creates that feeling. I much, much, much prefer them with some 55g-62g springs.

Sound is totally subjective, even moreso than feeling, so I can't make an objective case for Cherry being superior to Gateron because of that. But I would say that most of the avid MX and MX clone users I know share the same opinion when it comes to sound, it seems to be a fairly consistent opinion across the board. JWK/Gateron > Cherry in terms of consistency and knowing what you're gonna get, Cherry > JWK/Gateron if you're willing to gamble on a good batch/good vintage donor board for the be-all and end-all.
SK-8K wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 17:21
Have you tried these Gaterons? I think the housing material is the same as Cherry.
Yeah, I have these in yellow; supposedly the nicest and most consistent "cheap" Gateron linear from what I've heard. They're very smooth, and I would happily use them in a budget build. But the sound is definitely lacking in my opinion; I'd never choose them over Cherry for a more costly build.

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2022, 21:41

What’s the secret sauce in Nixies? Those really are divine. Best switches Cherry ever made. Hard to believe they didn’t adopt them as MX’s next evolution.

paperWasp

15 Feb 2022, 19:10

Wonder if anybody ever measured black vs 'vintage black' or brown vs 'vintage brown' characteristics (pressure/weight chart or whatever you call it). Are they so different? In what aspects?
I'm still thinking about getting a Cherry G80-3000 G80-3000LPCEU-0 with black switches. The price and ISO layout fortunately discourage me from buying a board I don't really need. :lol:

Muirium
µ

15 Feb 2022, 21:06

It's a scratch thing, not a weight thing. Force curves don't really show switch scratchiness, as I understand them. (The noise you see on the trace is measurement noise, not signal.) Does it scuff like it's rough or does it slide like it glides? These things make a world of difference on the finger, but not in the basic force chart.

Apparently Cherry is in fact up to something, as discussed here.

paperWasp

15 Feb 2022, 21:30

Ok, thanks for the link. Trying those Nixdorf Cherry switches might be an interesting idea.
I don't mind modern Cherry switch scratchiness while fast typing but the creaking sound with every PgDn press while browsing through photographs plays on my nerves.

Shorle

15 Jun 2022, 15:18

The Laptop Lagger wrote:
[...] what is your opinion on Cherry MY? Have you ever used it? If so what were your thoughts. Do you agree that it is an unholy abomination that feels akin to typing on the corpse of a baby seal. [...]
Terrible, yes, terrible, yes.
(And yes, this includes vintage black MY switches ... this term should not exist in favor of the commonly vintage black named MX variant)

On the off-topic discussion about Cherry MX: batch varience seems important and also the definition of "Cherry MX". Are you talking original (not necessarily vintage) Cherry Switches or MX-Style Switches in general. the term seems to be used for both scenarios often. There are great linear "clones" from Gateron apart from the first wave of reds and yellows (i.e. Gateron Oil King) and also other manufacturers not already mentioned here like JWK (i.e. Alpaca) and Tecsee (i.e. Carrot) [to name but a few iconic ones] that don't cost much more or even less than "original" Cherry or first wave clone versions but are (said to be) smoother still.
Regarding tactile variants the market diversified a lot with other manufacturers to meet individual demands and for modern clicky switches (click bar, click leaf) the consens I read is also for them to be vastly superior to the plasticy rattle of Cherry MX Blues.
kbdfr wrote:
[...] Cherry MX switches are absolutely OK and there is a reason they have been were the standard for so long and there are so many clones. [...]

First of, I agree: Cherry MX switches are 100% usable and the common typist will be happy with them for a long time.
I don't think they hold up to modern clones though and for the sake of the discussion wether Cherry MX switches are good they should not be badged together with said clones because people might get the impression they were on the same level.

The Laptop Lagger

17 Jun 2022, 22:29

I've had experiences with MX clones but I've never actually owned an original MX board, only ever Outemus. It's still on my list to buy. (Gotta catch em all)

daemonspudguy

25 Jun 2022, 02:46

To me the only reason to own a G81 would be to swap the PCB with one of the hotswap ones on Taobao and stick something like Box Jade in it.

Return to “Keyboards”